PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Table Saw Advice Needed

Don Hutton
09-27-2005, 6:00 PM
I've been shopping for a reasonably priced used sliding table saw that is close to home (no freight) and in decent shape. I've come across one at a local dealer but found one bad comment on Woodweb that had no specifics. Does anyone out there have any experience with the Minimax S300W? This is a 1996 saw and the following is from the dealer:

9' Cap. with scoring, 6.5 HP main motor & 0.75 HP scoring unit, 3-13/16" depth of cut @ 90°, 0° - 45° tilting arbor, 50" rip cut cap. with rip fence, 300 mm (11.8") saw blade dia., 4,800 RPM main blade & 11,000 RPM scoring blade. Complete with: Top blade guard with dust hood (2-1/2" outlet), crosscut fence assembly with (2) stops and standard miter gauges; main dust outlet is 4" dia. Machine comes with cross cut slider, miter fence.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Steve Jenkins
09-27-2005, 6:13 PM
Don, you don't say what price range you are looking at. I was talking with Allen Heckert at Longhorn Machinery here in Dallas the other day and he said he may be getting an older Altendorf. I can't remember the year but think it's around 89-90. You might give him a call 214 208-8990.

Don Hutton
09-27-2005, 6:40 PM
Hi Steve. I know a new Minimax S315 is around $8000 so I'm trying to find something used for roughly half that. Most of the used sliders are 3 phase so I have to factor in the cost of phase converter when looking used versus new.

Thanks,
Don

Steve Jenkins
09-27-2005, 6:42 PM
I can understand that. I really don't know what Allen will be asking for that saw but it would be worth a phone call.

Paul B. Cresti
09-27-2005, 6:57 PM
Hi Steve. I know a new Minimax S315 is around $8000 so I'm trying to find something used for roughly half that. Most of the used sliders are 3 phase so I have to factor in the cost of phase converter when looking used versus new.

Thanks,
Don

Don,
The cost of a phase converter alone (of course depending on size) my really eat into your reserve for the used slider. I have a Kay RPC and it is a great piece of machinery, or motor or electrical appliance or device or um well you know... I would suggest you look into the converter a little more because some an be a bit noisey. The Kay (the only one I know) are very quiet. I had someone come in my shop that had another brand and just could not believe mine was even running.

I believe the S300w is the predecessor to the S315WS. Since you are in Texas (not sure how close you are to Austin) it might be worth the trip to MM to look. You may also want to look at IRS auctions in your area. I know some people like the value of used machines but I like the idea of the warranty and the backing of the company.

Don Hutton
09-27-2005, 7:18 PM
Thanks Paul. I didn't know that phase converters can be noisey. New is nice but I've got a budget that I'm trying to stay within. I do have one question for you. Why did you trade your S315 in on a S35? What did you gain to justify the move?

Don

Paul B. Cresti
09-27-2005, 7:51 PM
Thanks Paul. I didn't know that phase converters can be noisey. New is nice but I've got a budget that I'm trying to stay within. I do have one question for you. Why did you trade your S315 in on a S35? What did you gain to justify the move?

Don

Don,
I purchased the S315WS just before all the prices went nuts. I started to consider going to a 10.5 ft slider in order to conserve solid stock and be able to buy 10'-0" sheetgoods. Using a longer slider would not only save me on not having to cut my solid stock down (I buy most stuff in the 10'-0" range and on the 10.5ft slider I can easy edge joint one edge, after face jointing, and then go right to rough sizing my pieces with out any or very little waste). In using 10'-0" sheetgoods I am now able to buy less sheets, as compared to 8'-0" sheets, and have much less waste. It is a little bit everytime but does add up over time and I also cut down on all those odd cutoffs that no one knows what to do with (except put it in my fireplaces). On top of all this when I went to sell my S315WS I got what I paid for it so.... for me it was a pretty good deal.