PDA

View Full Version : Door bell button as computer power switch ?

Stephen Tashiro
08-15-2016, 5:56 PM
Can a typical door bell button be used as a power switch for a PC ?

Typical modern door bell buttons are lit by LEDs and when you test for continuity across their two terminals, current flows even though the button isn't pushed. Must I disable the LED in order to use the door bell button as a computer power switch? When I test computer power switches from old PC cases, they do not pass current unless pressed.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-15-2016, 6:26 PM
I don't see why not with some electrical know-how. The genius neighbor kid down the street changed out his power switch button and installed a "pull chain for a light bulb" on his computer! My skill set ranks at the "if you touch it, you will get shocked" so I leave that creativity to the kid.

Rich Riddle
08-15-2016, 6:37 PM
A doorbell button is a momentary power button as are most computer power switches. As long as the doorbell button would handle the power requirements, it would technically work. People might snicker when seeing it, but some home-make shop tools and jigs out there inspire snickers as well. As long as it safely works.......

Stephen Tashiro
08-15-2016, 6:50 PM
A doorbell button is a momentary power button as are most computer power switches..

Old fashioned doorbell buttons were just momentary switches, but the doorbell buttons I shopped for today were all lit with LEDs. Apparently the LED is wired across the two terminals of the switch and by-passes the switching mechanism. A voltmeter shows there is continuity across the terminals even if the switch isn't pressed.

Rich Riddle
08-15-2016, 7:02 PM
I am old fashioned. If you need an old fashioned one, send a pm with your address. I have several in the garage electrical bin. The electrical bin is rather large and won't miss one.

Michael Weber
08-15-2016, 7:11 PM
Doorbells are 24 volt systems so if you apply 110 volts across it that LED will likely blow.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-15-2016, 7:28 PM
I believe that a power switch on a PC switches a 5V line.

David T gray
08-15-2016, 7:51 PM
I believe that a power switch on a PC switches a 5V line.

correct 5v it is

John McClanahan
08-15-2016, 8:12 PM
You will want a button with no light, or disconnect the light. The light is wired in series with the door bell coil and may trick the power supply into not turning on or off.

Rich Engelhardt
08-16-2016, 8:18 PM
Why not get crazy/fancy and just go whole hog?

http://www.simerec.com/PCS-2.html

You can use your TV remote with this one!

Michael Schneider
08-16-2016, 8:21 PM
Here is info on making your own switch http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/13885/how-to-make-my-own-atx-power-switch

Barry McFadden
08-16-2016, 8:54 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here ...but.... why not just buy a new computer power switch?

Stephen Tashiro
08-17-2016, 1:29 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here ...but.... why not just buy a new computer power switch?

I built a wood computer case - actually more of a shelf than a case. The purpose of my design is to make it easy to assemble the components of the computer, not to conceal them. I'm tired of building computers inside cramped conventional cases. The reason I like the doorbell button as the power switch is that it's simple to attach it to a board.

The doorbell button I bought had two fine wires coming out of the center of it and going to the two terminals. I snipped those wires and then tested the button with a meter. Now it doesn't pass current unless the button is pressed. I used it as the power switch for my wooden computer shelf, and it works.

Dan Friedrichs
08-17-2016, 11:48 AM
The light is wired in series with the door bell coil

Yes, but it is in parallel with the button (which is why it is lit when the button is open and off when the button is closed)