PDA

View Full Version : File Design Help

Angela Pascal
08-15-2016, 5:48 PM
Hello All,

I am new here and may be in the wrong section.

I just recently purchased a laser cutter to make some items for my wedding. I am trying to make acrylic table numbers with bases and I cannot seem to figure out how to make the files. I am a novice.

Can anyone recommend a person or company that makes custom ready to cut files for a laser cutter?

attached is a photo of what I am trying to create. Basically a number with a base.

any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-15-2016, 6:22 PM
Try these sites to help you create your own files.

http://www.gravograph.com/usa/Support/Knowledge_Base.php

https://www.epiloglaser.com/resources/sample-club.htm

Michael Hunter
08-15-2016, 6:44 PM
It would be easier to help you if you told us -

What make of laser you have
and
What drawing software you use

The numbers are a pretty good starter project - not very difficult, but needing some accuracy to fit the bases.

Bert Kemp
08-15-2016, 6:46 PM
Hi Angela you didn't say what you have for a laser machine or what software your working with. These are pretty easy to create in corel draw, or any basic drawing program.and then import to your laser.Corel will have all the numbers and different fonts its simply a matter of adding a tab and then cutting the base with a slot that will fit the tab.

Michael you type faster then me LOL

Angela Pascal
08-15-2016, 7:19 PM
Thanks so much for your help everyone. I have a 40 watt Chinese laser. It came with moshiDraw software. I also have Corel x6

Bert Kemp
08-15-2016, 7:44 PM
Well if you need any help with the design just shout pretty easy to do in corel:)

Angela Pascal
08-15-2016, 7:56 PM
Thanks Bert!

I think I'm more worried about making sure the tab will fit in the base. Any suggestions?

Bert Kemp
08-15-2016, 8:20 PM
just make sure the with of the slot is the same as material thickness and maybe make the slot a micro meter smaller for a tight fit.It looks like your using acrylic so you might need to run a test piece or 3 to get the right size. Acrylic melts and has a tendency to expand the kerf a little.

Angela Pascal
08-15-2016, 8:34 PM
Thanks Bert.

I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know how it goes. I plan on trying this weekend.

Thanks so much again everyone for your help.

Michael Hunter
08-15-2016, 8:37 PM
I would start with the slot in the base a little longer and wider than the tab, as if the tab jams in the slot on its way in it is likely to fracture.
As Bert says, you will probably need a couple of trials to get it just right.

Here is a diagram which might help.

Mayo Pardo
08-16-2016, 2:19 AM
The only thing I would add to Michael's diagram above is to make sure the height of the tab below the number bottom is the same or slightly less than the thickness of your acrylic. If you wind up cutting some that are a little too loose, they can still be used if you crazy glue or solvent glue the numbers to the bases.

Angela Pascal
08-16-2016, 9:01 AM
Great point Mayo!

Thanks so much for your help.