PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi Oscillating Sander

John Cascone
08-15-2016, 2:47 PM
Was given a Ryobi OSS500 by a friend. It doesn't oscillate. Any ideas on the cause or what I can do to cure it. Emailed Ryobi but no word back yet.

Robert Parent
08-16-2016, 8:30 AM
I have not owned a Ryobi, but several others I have owned had bearing issues. The bearing would freeze due to dust collection drying out the grease. Anymore I just buy a new sander in the color of your choice as they are cheap disposable items these days. My experience is that they all last about the same amount of time.

Robert

John Cascone
08-17-2016, 6:39 AM
Thanks! Not what I was hoping to hear but not totally unexpected.

Wayne Lomman
08-17-2016, 9:44 AM
Pull it apart and have a look. There's nothing to lose and maybe some gain. Cheers

Charles Lent
08-17-2016, 4:18 PM
John,

These were not very good, or reliable sanders. Use it for a couple of minutes and the vibration will put your hand to sleep. The guy gave it to you because it broke and he didn't want to fix it. This should have told you something about this "friend" and the sander. If you still think you want one, PM me your address. I think I may still have one that worked the first and only time that I tried using it. If I can find it, I'll send it to you along with any sandpaper that I have that fits it, for just the cost of the postage (flat rate box).

Charley