PDA

View Full Version : High-quality garden irrigation system?

Jamie Buxton
09-27-2005, 5:38 PM
I live in California. Irrigation is just about the only way to have greenery around the house. Over the years I've tried lots of different drip irrigation systems, and found them to be pretty close to junk. They clog, embrittle in the sunlight, break, and/or don't deliver water where it is needed. I want a system I can install and forget. After all, that's the point of drip irrigation: less work. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good system?

Andrew Ault
09-27-2005, 6:06 PM
I live in San Diego so I have a similar situation.

I simply use one of those cheap black perforated rubber hoses with a battery powered timer. If the hose clogs, I will throw it away and put on a new one. I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems.

I made up a short piece of regular hose that runs from the timer to the perforated hose. As far as I can tell, it does not matter whether the black hose is buried or not, it just works.

- Andy

Don Baer
09-27-2005, 6:18 PM
Jamie;
I tried the drip system and found that it was a major PIA. I tore it all out and now in areas where I can't use pop ups. I installed bubbler heads. you can adjust the flow on each bubbler. I have four seperate zones on my system and used a timer from the borg.
This system works great and is trouble free.

Bob Johnson2
09-27-2005, 7:56 PM
I've had a DripWorks setup for a couple years, so far so good but it may be too soon to really tell. Have about 700' installed on 2 runs.

Joe Mioux
09-27-2005, 9:05 PM
Jamie:

I use all kinds of irrigation systems in my business.

I use some really inexpensive stuff, which if designed for the job, works great. This is stuff that I have used in a greenhouse enviroment form over 15 years and it has held up to the heat, light and more importantly to the chemicals!

Roberts spray stakes are cheap and as long as you get the correct configurations will last a very lone time.

I also use some really really great irrigation stuff. Extremely low volume... drip emitters. The company is called Netafim. With this system you water 2,3,4, 5 times a day at really low volumes. The idea is to keep your plant well hydrated through out the day. With traditional systems, you dump a load of water on once a day and call it quits.

PM me if you want additional info.

Joe

John Motzi
09-27-2005, 9:53 PM
I have had good luck with systems from The Drip Store (wen address is dripirrigation (http://.dripirrigation))

John Motzi
Downingtown, PA