PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Body Parts; Are They Common?

Rich Riddle
08-14-2016, 11:43 AM
I have noticed several woodworkers talking about getting new and improved body parts like hips and knees. Are they getting to be a common replacement these days? Or are they still considered rare and only good for a few years?

Dave Richards
08-14-2016, 1:18 PM
Hip and knee replacements are everyday procedures. In the hospital where I work it isn't unusual to have three or four surgeons each doing 4 or 5 joint replacements in a day. Lots of ORs dedicated to ortho surgery. I don't know how long they typically last but it seems like 10 or more years wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

Mike Henderson
08-14-2016, 1:23 PM
Hips, for one, last a long time. I know people who have had them for 20 or more years with no problems. I know people who have had knee replacements but they all had them more recently so I can't give you an "age". They get better, and longer lasting, every year.

If you're older and suffering from a bad hip, don't be afraid of getting a hip replacement. As the docs say, "You'll know when it's time for you to have surgery." (from the pain of living with a bad hip).

The "recovery" period is worse than the surgery according to people who have had the surgery. And knees are worse than hips. You have to do the physical therapy.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2016, 1:52 PM
Hip and knee replacements are quite common even in little old Lewiston, Idaho. Before awakening deaf, one of the MR scanners I serviced belonged to a orthopedic group who had their own 1.5T full body MR scanner, their own surgery center and at one time there was 5 surgeons in the group. Other orthopedic surgeons performed surgery at the local regional medical center in Lewiston as well as the hospital across the Snake River in Clarkston, WA.

With the University of Idaho and the Washington State University just 30 miles away and their football teams, there were orthopedic surgeons in both Moscow, Idaho and Pullman, Washington. Of course, the hospitals there have surgery suites and MRI scanners.

A lot of the surgeries have gotten to be so routine and practiced, it's day surgery. At the orthopedic group's surgery center (less than 1 mile from my home) they perform surgery and the patients return home that afternoon/evening. They aren't even set up to keep patients overnight.

The rate and success of those types of surgery is said to be highly dependent on the physical therapy.

BTW, my cyborg hearing surgery was performed in Spokane, WA. The surgeon there had performed over 500 cochlear implant surgeries prior to mine. He proudly told me the private clinic where he practices is the busiest on the west coast for CIs. He specializes in adults while his partner specializes in children. How long do CIs last? I know people who have had a CI for over 18 years. The only hang up is that eventually parts for the sound processor (looks like a hearing aid, worn on the ear) are no longer manufactured and thus the sound processor can't be repaired or replaced with a new one in the event of a failure. While they are often backwards compatible for a couple generations of internal implants, eventually they aren't. I know of one or two people who had to be explanted and then implanted with a new internal implant because the new sound processors wouldn't support the old internal implants. This type of surgery is most often day surgery. I was rolled into the surgery room at 0930 and discharged at 1330. It's a 2 hour 15 minute drive home. At 1600 I was in my own bed. While CIs aren't perfect, for most recipients, they are a truly amazing life changing improvement! The 17 months I was deaf was the longest 17 months of my life! In retirement, my wife travels a lot more than I do. Having my CI allows me to be independent and function normally without aid. Often I will travel alone to catch up with my wife at some distant location. That's the thing I appreciate most is regaining independence!

I suspect in the next couple years I will have to have problems with one of my hips and both knees addressed.

Malcolm McLeod
08-14-2016, 2:12 PM
Father has a new hip and FIL has a new knee. The hip had complications from a post-surgery shattered femur, but generally both have improved quality of life.

As I understand the history of joint replacement surgery, Doc used to tell their patients to bear the pain as long as possible. Over the last 8-10 years (maybe?) they have started to tell patients not to delay replacement. If they delay too long, the patient's over-all condition and quality of life degrades to the point that recovery is much, much harder.

Since original designs of prosthetic devices would only last 5-8 years, patients were often faced with 2nd or 3rd repeat surgery within their life expectancy. I read that many of these original devices were built in doc's 'home' shop or lab. Then the materials engineers started working on the problem and many devices can now easily outlast the recipient. (see ASME magazine from a few years back)

Ralph Boumenot
08-14-2016, 3:15 PM
My Doc wouldn't guarantee it but he said my hip should last at least 20 years. The only thing I can't do is run - I can run but it is the one thing the Doc told me not to do. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

Grant Wilkinson
08-14-2016, 5:14 PM
I'm in Canada, so my experience my be different from the others here, but I've had 2 partial knee replacements and they are fine after 5 years. Mine were stat of the art when they were put in, so there was no history to go on to determine how long they will last. With luck, they will last longer than the rest of me. Hip replacements seem to be very routine here. I have 4 friends with one or both of them.

Rich Riddle
08-14-2016, 5:54 PM
Is a broken hip the beginning of the end?

Jim Becker
08-14-2016, 6:27 PM
One of the primary reason that joint replacements have become so common is that, in a nutshell, they relieve what's sometimes "monstrous" pain for folks. Most of the prosthetic joints these days are also highly reliable..when there is a premature issue, it's usually something other than the actual "parts" that's at issue, such as a poor bond with the bone, etc. My mother had both knees done...it was that or 'stop walking'. My dad had one of his hips done. I wouldn't hesitate getting "whatever" if the need arrises in the future.

Jerry Thompson
08-14-2016, 8:43 PM
At my age I would accept a brain from a sloth. It think it would be a step or two up.

Rich Riddle
08-14-2016, 8:49 PM
Jerry, now that Wizard of Oz Tin Man song, "If I only had a brain," is trapped in my head.

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2016, 9:06 PM
Have a plastic elbow for 38 years now. Bilateral knee replacement three years ago. Neighbor had a hip replacement that slaked off metal into her blood stream from wear in joint. Almost killed her. She was a very ACTIVE woman who now is basically wheel chair bound.

Steve Peterson
08-14-2016, 10:14 PM
One of the primary reason that joint replacements have become so common is that, in a nutshell, they relieve what's sometimes "monstrous" pain for folks.

My dad had the same experience with his hips. He could barely walk because of the pain before surgery. He was walking within a few days after the surgery. It definitely improved his quality of life.

Steve

Scott Brandstetter
08-14-2016, 10:23 PM
I go in for a total shoulder replacement in a couple weeks. I am 50 years old and my dr said to expect 15-20 years out of it before having to have follow up work done to it. My reason for finally doing it is simple pain and quality of life. I can't sleep for more than a hour without the pain waking me. From everything I've read, they seem to be a very very common thing nowadays.

Leigh Betsch
08-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Just have them put a grease zerk in so you can give it a shot of grease when it begins to get stiff.

Larry Frank
08-15-2016, 7:34 AM
My first hip replacement had a plastic insert cup that lasted 7 years and wore out. They went in and popped the ball of the stub shaft and popped the cup out and replaced them with a metal ball and cup. This one is about 14 years old and no wear.

As a side note, you have to be very careful for several months after hip surgery to keep from dislocating the hip. From personal experience, you do not want this to happen.

Curt Harms
08-15-2016, 7:44 AM
Just have them put a grease zerk in so you can give it a shot of grease when it begins to get stiff.

Apparently they have shots that work similarly. SWMBO had arthoscopic surgery for a torn meniscus. The Dr. said if the pain didn't subside they could inject some 'lube' into the knee joint. I suggested WD40, he said that'd probably work if I could figure out a way to get it in there.:D

Bert Kemp
08-15-2016, 4:59 PM
Yea I went for a series of lube shots to my right knee, one a week for 5 weeks didn't do anything:mad:

Apparently they have shots that work similarly. SWMBO had arthoscopic surgery for a torn meniscus. The Dr. said if the pain didn't subside they could inject some 'lube' into the knee joint. I suggested WD40, he said that'd probably work if I could figure out a way to get it in there.:D

Bruce Wrenn
08-15-2016, 9:11 PM
Yea I went for a series of lube shots to my right knee, one a week for 5 weeks didn't do anything:mad:It improved your doctor's bottom line quite a bit $$$$$$$.

Larry Frank
08-16-2016, 9:25 AM
I think that with any surgery or procedure it is worthwhile to research them. While some of the info may not be good, you can find reliable info. The info I found on the knee lubricant injections showed that they were not effective.

Before I had surgery on my wrists, I read several published and peer reviewed papers. One was co-written by my surgeon. The information gave me confidence in the operation. Also, one can search and find out the doctors references. Mine had published a number of papers. The surgery on my wrists were successful and I achieved the strength and flexibility described in the papers.

Bottom line, understand your doctor and the procedure before consenting to it