PDA

View Full Version : Irwin bit set gloat.

Dave Beauchesne
08-13-2016, 3:42 PM
Finally found a set of Irwins in a nice oak box today.
13 piece set, virtually unused. Instructions pamphlet as well.
Lucky day I say.

Patrick Chase
08-13-2016, 4:56 PM
Oooh wow. A nice score indeed. Irwin still makes that line of bits, but the modern Brazilian-made ones aren't in the same league IMO.

I finally (and recently) broke down and paid $$$ for a set of TFWW "Jennings-pattern" augers (https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/MS-JB.XX/Jennings_Pattern_Auger_Bit_for_Braces). I also have a set of the 9" single-flute ones that LV sells, for rough work and for my son to use.

lowell holmes
08-13-2016, 5:07 PM
I have that set. It was my Father's. I also have a Bell brace to use them in.

Thomas Schneider
08-13-2016, 8:19 PM
I'm sorry but it's only a gloat if we know how much you paid for them! Nice set by the way!

Normand Leblanc
08-13-2016, 10:50 PM
I own the exact same set with the box and the instructions. They were brand new when I got them. Now I know what it's like to have a bit that pulls itself into the wood. So much easier now than with the old rusty ones that I had before.

BTW, they were bought on eBay from someone in BC (Surrey).

Jim Koepke
08-14-2016, 12:57 AM
I have a full set and a few extra Irwin bits. I am partial to them since Irwin was my mother's maiden name.

Nice score.

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
08-14-2016, 1:06 AM
I'm sorry but it's only a gloat if we know how much you paid for them! Nice set by the way! Thomas: A Twoonie and a Loonie - about $2.50 US $$. I will have to take a sleeping pill so I can sleep tonight. I was the first in the door and grabbed these - slammed the box closed and tucked them under my are and kept moving - a buddy ( but competition ) asked me right after I grabbed them and said '' how much were the bits ?" - to which I replied, ' I didn't even look ' - I knew they were sweet and the price was sweeter. Dave B

Jim Koepke
08-14-2016, 1:32 AM
Thomas: A Twoonie and a Loonie - about $2.50 US $$. I will have to take a sleeping pill so I can sleep tonight.

You'll likely be floating above the covers.

NEW DUCK!!!

jtk

Rob Luter
08-14-2016, 7:42 AM
Great score.

lowell holmes
08-14-2016, 10:16 AM
And they are really good bits!! :rolleyes:

Thomas Schneider
08-14-2016, 1:40 PM
Thomas: A Twoonie and a Loonie - about $2.50 US $$. I will have to take a sleeping pill so I can sleep tonight.

I was the first in the door and grabbed these - slammed the door closed and tucked them under my are and kept moving - a buddy ( but competition ) asked me right after I grabbed them and said '' how much were the bits ?" - to which I replied, ' I didn't even look ' -

I knew they were sweet and the price was sweeter.

Dave B

Now that's what I call a gloat!

Patrick Chase
08-14-2016, 3:13 PM

I was the first in the door and grabbed these - slammed the door closed and tucked them under my are and kept moving - a buddy ( but competition ) asked me right after I grabbed them and said '' how much were the bits ?" - to which I replied, ' I didn't even look ' -

I knew they were sweet and the price was sweeter.

Dave B

Wow. The amount I paid for the set of Jennings-pattern augers from TFWW also started with a "2" and a "5".

Gloat indeed.

Rich Riddle
08-14-2016, 4:03 PM
I like the box nearly as much as the bits......great find.

Glen Canaday
08-14-2016, 9:47 PM
Nice grab! I got my user set in a giant box at an estate sale. It weighed about 20 pounds, and was $20. They seemed to be selling them by weight. Oddly, there wasn't a single usable #13 in the entire lot. Yet later on at another sale, I found a brand new Millers Falls #13 in a plastic drinking cup on a basement workbench for a dollar. Go figure.

Bill Houghton
08-14-2016, 9:48 PM
The always-missing size around here is the #8. There must have been a lot of need for 1/2" holes over the years.

Jim Koepke
08-14-2016, 9:53 PM
The always-missing size around here is the #8. There must have been a lot of need for 1/2" holes over the years.

My guess is it has to do with installing knob and tube insulators. I think other electrical cable might also take a 1/2" hole.

jtk

Glen Canaday
08-14-2016, 9:57 PM
That could be.

I think the reason for the missing #13 is superstition.