PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Gasoline Can

George Bokros
08-13-2016, 3:33 PM
Bought a leaf blower/vac/shredder and need a 1 - 1 1/4 gallon gas can for the oil/fuel mix. Seems all the reviews for the new "safety no-spill" cans are not very favorable. Hard to get the cap off the fill the can, can still spills fuel when filling the tank, etc.

Does any one have one of the new safety cans they are not too dissatisfied with?

Wish all the tools had the same fuel mix. My chain saw uses 40:1 and the leaf blower/vac/shredder requires 50:1 and it is recommended to use ethanol free fuel. Echo would like you to buy their premixed fuel which is 93 octane ethanol free and already mixed with their oil/fuel stabilizer. This stuff is $7.97 per quart or $32 / gallon at HD. They say as long as the fuel is no more than 10% ethanol it is acceptable but must be at least 89 octane but 93 octane is preferred . I will spring for 93 octane but mix the Echo oil myself. Cost would be around $5.00 / gallon fuel and oil combined.

Anyone know who sells 100% gasoline anymore?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-13-2016, 3:40 PM
George, I bought my first one and found it very unhandy to use. It finally broke. YAY!

I bought my current one at HD. It works much better! Here's one like mine with your 1.25 gallon requirement: http://www.homedepot.com/p/No-Spill-No-Spill-1-25-Gal-Poly-Gas-Can-1415-V6/206992015 .

Wade Lippman
08-13-2016, 4:24 PM
Google ethanol free gas. You can find it anywhere that boaters fuel up, but there are plenty of other places.

You can always find gas cans at garage sales for a quarter. You are making way too much out of this.

John K Jordan
08-13-2016, 4:58 PM
...Does any one have one of the new safety cans they are not too dissatisfied with?
...requires 50:1...
...Anyone know who sells 100% gasoline...

For chainsaws and other engines with SMALL tanks this is my favorite type of nozzle. Amazon sells the nozzle separately but I don't know how to tell if it will fit a specific can. Insert the end into the tank opening and press and hold the button to fill. I've used the same one for years now. Doesn't leak. Cuts off instantly when the button is released.

I absolutely HATE those safety nozzle with the spring-loaded sleeve with a hook that has to be pushed or held back to open a valve. Many places that is all you can buy. I always rip the sleeve and valve off first thing.

I always use 100% hi-test gas in small engines, chainsaws, leaf blowers, 4-wheelers, pressure washer, generator, etc. There are a bunch of places around here that sell it. Some advertise but some you have to ask. The price is usually more but not always. I think there is a web site or app that will get you there.

I only use Stihl oil mixed 50:1 for all my small engines that require a gas/oil mix, Stihl, Shindaiwa, or whatever. This oil has a stabilizer already added. I buy it by the gallon and pour into the tiny 1-gal mix size bottles to measure and have ready to dump into the tank. (I add a tiny bit extra to compensate for the oil left in the little bottle to save rinsing with gas.) One engine said 40:1 but I used the 50:1 for many years and the engine was still running strong when the rest of it started falling apart.

JKJ

Rich Riddle
08-13-2016, 5:02 PM
I purchased one just like Ken's.....and then several of them, some for 2 stroke, some for diesel, some for regular gas.....they work great.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-13-2016, 5:37 PM
For chainsaws and other engines with SMALL tanks this is my favorite type of nozzle. Amazon sells the nozzle separately but I don't know how to tell if it will fit a specific can. Insert the end into the tank opening and press and hold the button to fill. I've used the same one for years now. Doesn't leak. Cuts off instantly when the button is released.

I absolutely HATE those safety nozzle with the spring-loaded sleeve with a hook that has to be pushed or held back to open a valve. Many places that is all you can buy. I always rip the sleeve and valve off first thing.

JKJ

That's what my first spill proof gas can was John, spring-loaded sleeve with a hook. I spilled more gas with it than any other can I have used, including Jerry cans.

My new can has came with the nozzle you show here. Works great!

Rich Riddle
08-13-2016, 5:48 PM
I also like the 5 gallon cans from 50 years ago, but they are difficult to find. The new version everyone is discussing actually works better than the antique with less spillage. If Ken can advocate new body joints, the rest of us can step up a bit with gas can technology.

George Bokros
08-13-2016, 5:48 PM
Found source for ethanol free gas in my area. Gonna use it for all my garden equipment, mower, chain saw, leaf blower and snow blower. The chain saw and leaf blower are the only ones that require oil/gas mix.

Wayne Lovell
08-13-2016, 7:56 PM
I finely found a source of ethanol free gas locally and I am now using it in all of my small engines I don't know if it helps but it can't hurt. I used the 87 ethanol in every thing until about a year ago My Echo trimmer is about 35 years old if it was too heavy for anything else I revved it up and stuck it in, you can't kill those things.

Dave Lehnert
08-13-2016, 8:30 PM
Found source for ethanol free gas in my area. Gonna use it for all my garden equipment, mower, chain saw, leaf blower and snow blower. The chain saw and leaf blower are the only ones that require oil/gas mix.

How were you able to find ethanol free gas in Ohio?

I use the premix gas in qt cans from Home Depot. They just added a brand for $4.99.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Care-32-oz-50-1-Pre-Mixed-Small-Engine-Fuel-6985/206455565
Yes it is expensive compared to gas at the pump. But I only use it in my weed trimmer and blower. A qt last me about 5-6 weeks. Cheap insurance.

Before I started using the premix stuff, I use to get a synthetic 2 cycle oil at Home Depot (I think) that was good for all mix ratio. So only one can of mix was needed for all 2 cycle equipment.
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Pro-Mix-2-6-oz-ProMix-2-Cycle-Oil/1053645

ken masoumi
08-13-2016, 9:08 PM
I also like the 5 gallon cans from 50 years ago, but they are difficult to find. The new version everyone is discussing actually works better than the antique with less spillage. If Ken can advocate new body joints, the rest of us can step up a bit with gas can technology.
The older cans are widely available in Canada,they are nothing fancy, no spill proof nozzles,just simple /old fashion gas cans. from what I've heard these older type of cans are harder to find in the US,but not up here,the funny thing is, what's available here, are all made in USA.

ryan paulsen
08-13-2016, 9:12 PM
instead of another gas can, i use Amsoil at 80:1 for all my 2 strokes, chainsaws, leaf blower, trimmer, etc. we don't have etoh free around here, but i also use seafoam in every tank. something to consider.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-13-2016, 9:57 PM
The older cans are widely available in Canada,they are nothing fancy, no spill proof nozzles,just simple /old fashion gas cans. from what I've heard these older type of cans are harder to find in the US,but not up here,the funny thing is, what's available here, are all made in USA.

Good to know. I'm in Canada right now for the weekend, but going home first thing in the morning. Next time I'm here I'll stop into Home Depot and see if they have the good gas cans.

As for the oil mix, I just bought a 4 stroke Makita leaf blower. I like it a lot.

George Bokros
08-13-2016, 9:58 PM
How were you able to find ethanol free gas in Ohio?

Here you go

http://www.pure-gas.org/

(http://www.pure-gas.org/)

Dave Lehnert
08-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Here you go

http://www.pure-gas.org/

(http://www.pure-gas.org/)

Yes, I saw that list but wonder how accurate it is.
According to one source, Stations in Ohio (and some other states) are not required to list on the pump if their gas contains Ethanol or not.
Seems like if one name brand station is selling Ethanol free gas. they all would be.

Anyone know of a easy way one could test it for Ethanol?

John K Jordan
08-13-2016, 11:09 PM
Yes, I saw that list but wonder how accurate it is.
According to one source, Stations in Ohio (and some other states) are not required to list on the pump if their gas contains Ethanol or not.
Seems like if one name brand station is selling Ethanol free gas. they all would be. Anyone know of a easy way one could test it for Ethanol?

Dave, Ask the manager. Then test the gas yourself.

I bought a test kit made for ethanol in gasoline. It was cheap. It is simple. It is basically a plastic tube-like bottle with a lid.

You fill the tube to a line with water then add gas. Shake then hold the tube vertical for a few seconds and look at it. If the gas has no alcohol the line between the water and the gas will be clear. If the gas contains alcohol there will be a thicker layer, not clear, like an emulsion . The marks on the tube can tell you the percentage of alcohol in the gas. If you don't need to know how much just make your own kit with a small tube or bottle.

I used this several times and every time I was told the gas had no alcohol the test confirmed it.

You can google alcohol test kit and see videos and kits to buy.

JKJ

Wayne Lomman
08-14-2016, 7:28 AM
Weird about Canada only having cans made in the US. In Australia the good cans are made in Canada. Go figure.

With the oil/fuel mix ratios, I used to stick rigidly to the manufacturers recommendations until I got to know a bloke who runs a highly successful motocross team. He said you run a two stroke on the highest ratio you can without fouling the plugs and the engines last way longer, typically 15-18:1. The manufacturers specs are for meeting regulations, not for making engines last. Cheers

Jerome Stanek
08-14-2016, 7:52 AM
Has anyone used avgas I see it has a higher octane and is ethanol free

George Bokros
08-14-2016, 7:56 AM

I believe marine gas is also ethanol free.

Curt Harms
08-14-2016, 10:14 AM

It's ethanol free but even 100LL - by far the most common - has a fair bit of lead in it. I don't know if you'd have lead fouling on the spark plug or not. A lot of older lower compression aircraft engines will run well on non-ethanol Premium auto gas. So airports that sell mogas might be another source for no-ethanol gasoline. There's an ongoing effort to create an aviation gasoline that is suitable for high compression/turbocharged piston engines that doesn't contain any lead and won't harm seals and fuel system components. Apparently it's easier said than done.

George Bokros
08-14-2016, 10:40 AM
My post was to get a recommendation on a gas can, but I really stimulated a discussion on the fuel.

Hmmm

Paul F Franklin
08-14-2016, 10:48 AM
These are the cans I use: http://www.gemplers.com/product/139234/Justrite-Type-II-AccuFlow-5-Gal-Safety-Can

They are pricey but they work very well. They also make another version that has a large funnel that attaches the spout. That one works very well for filling lawn and garden equipment but not very well for filling a car because the funnel gets in the way of holding the can at the right angle to get all the gas out.

My only gripe is that being metal, after many years of use the paint tends to scrape off the bottom lip and then it starts to rust. Easily dealt with but I wish they would add a plastic lip around the bottom to protect the paint.

Kurt Kintner
08-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Weird about Canada only having cans made in the US. In Australia the good cans are made in Canada. Go figure.

With the oil/fuel mix ratios, I used to stick rigidly to the manufacturers recommendations until I got to know a bloke who runs a highly successful motocross team. He said you run a two stroke on the highest ratio you can without fouling the plugs and the engines last way longer, typically 15-18:1. The manufacturers specs are for meeting regulations, not for making engines last. Cheers
i was a motocrosser for many years riding German made Maicos....
The factory recommended Bel-Ray for premix at 40:1..
it works so well that I use it still today in all my 2 stroke tools....
My John Deere weed wacker is 35 years old and still starts on the 1st
or 2nd pull.... No smoke and no plug fouling....

Bryan Hartle
08-14-2016, 8:13 PM
If you can find an agricultural type outlet usually associated with a Co-Op or such they will have regular gas as many older tractors and small engines need it. Here in northern Indiana Country Mark has it.

Bruce Wrenn
08-14-2016, 9:30 PM
Locally we have a Shell station selling alcohol free gas. Pump is labeled "Marine Fuel." Cost about fifty cents more per gallon than regular, both of which are 87 octane. As for "Seafoam," find up their MSDS sheet. It seems tha "Seafoam" is a mixture of naptha, alcohol and light oil. Another way of saying it, lighter fluid ( not charcoal lighter fluid, but the stuff you use in a Zippo,) ethanol, and diesel fuel

Daniel O'Neill
08-14-2016, 10:40 PM
I've never used this (http://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=165)but have been told that it works well. One oil all mix ratios. For regular fuel and not the premade stuff everyone is right you have to try to get the ethanol out. It gums up the small carbs too much. I only need it for a rototiller that I only use a lot in the spring and fall and maybe a little in the summer. So I buy premade. If I'm going to use it a lot I'll buy reg gas or ethanol free (if I can find it thanks for the website). If you do use regular gas use an additive like seafoam. As far as gas cans go I'm pretty sure it's a regulation to have the auto closing. I've not found one that didn't cause a ton of spills. If the tank opening is push mower size I'll just take the spout off. If it's smaller I broke my auto close spout so I suppose that will do :P

Ethan Spronk
08-14-2016, 10:52 PM
I have heard of people buying 5 gallon water jugs similar to this so they dont have to deal with the spill proof nozzles. I personally have not done this and have not done much research on if the plastic would with stand fuel storage. Just throwing out the idea.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577244_200577244?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Sporting%20Goods%20%2B%20Toys%20%3E%20C amping%20%2B%20Hiking%20Equipment&utm_campaign=Scepter&utm_content=20335&gclid=CjwKEAjwrcC9BRC2v5rjyvSbhWASJACKkjDzrwfg0Cys g9i_gFllxg3yTx4HjkB_mp9ZEqs61AoIPxoCKN3w_wcB

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-15-2016, 6:39 AM
I believe that it's illegal to pump gas into a non-gasoline approved jug.

Larry Frank
08-15-2016, 7:27 AM
I use the No Spill gas cans for my smaller gas tools like chain saw and weed whacker. They are the best I have found. They are a little pricey but so much better than anything else.

roger wiegand
08-15-2016, 7:35 AM
Been using ethanol-contining 93 octane gas at 40:1 in a myriad of small tools for the last 10-15 years. Never yet had a problem attributable to either the ethanol or the ratios not being exactly what's required. Not sure what the fuss is about. I think the ethanol-sensitive components in fuel systems were all removed many years ago.

I hate all the gas cans I've tried, perhaps the spout referenced above will help!

John K Jordan
08-15-2016, 8:14 AM
...Not sure what the fuss is about. I think the ethanol-sensitive components in fuel systems were all removed many years ago.

Roger, one issue might be that older engines are still around. I still have some equipment with older small engines. I've had seals and fuel tubes and such turn to mush using gas with ethanol.

The extra cost is not that much for small quantities and around here there are several places close that sell the pure gasoline.

JKJ

Bruce Wrenn
08-15-2016, 9:18 PM
Roger, rebuilt generator last year. Filled tank 3/4 full with ethanol gas with Sta-Bil. Went to crank it this spring, and tank was almost full. It was stored in my shed, so I knew it wasn't rain , but the water from the air mixing with ethanol gas. Drained out gas water mixture, dried tank with DNA and compressed air. Now it has "pure gas" in it. Other generator also stored in same shed had "pure gas" and no problems.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2016, 10:28 PM
I use ethanol gas in my 30+ year old chain saw, my trimmer, my leaf blower and my mower without any problems. I don't use the low grade as my Stihl string trimmer requires a certain octane which happens to be middle grade locally. I buy middle grade gas in a 2.5 gallon container and use it for all purposes, mixing it for the 2-cycle engines. I don't drain any of my gas powered tools and they sit in an unheated shed over the winter.

In the late 80's and early 90's, we drove a Toyota 4-Runner. Every 20 months I had to pay to have the injectors cleaned and it cost a couple hundred dollars. I asked my daughter's ex-husband (my daughter and her ex-husband both have degrees in automotive mechanics )what an injector cleaning kit would cost. He said about $300 but he recommended I fill my tank at Chevron and add some additional Techron gas additive to it. Then put it on the road until the tank was empty. I did it and drove from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT to Couer d'Alene, back to Lewiston. I did so and it remedied the problem. At that time, most Detroit auto manufacturers were putting pressure on the oil companies to develop top tier gas products. Since then, all the major brands have additives that work better.

I haven't had any problems with gaskets, seals etc. as a result of using gasoline with ethanol.

All gasolines aren't created equal, IMO and experience.

Michael Schneider
08-15-2016, 10:41 PM
George,

I have to store my gas closer to the house than I like so I spend a few $$.

I like Justrite steel can's. I don't buy plastic if there is a fire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKIW3BA/ref=sxr_rr_xsim1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pd_rd_pt=nflxe&pf_rd_p=2286650982&pf_rd_r=0VP7FRPSM24WF4QSATW3&pd_rd_wg=QMTVN&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=GaeP9&pf_rd_i=gas+can&pd_rd_r=DD9hA&ie=UTF8&qid=1471315113&sr=1

Curt Harms
08-16-2016, 9:03 AM

I think the PITA gas can designs are a result of U.S. EPA edicts. Is Canada a bit less 'enthusiastic' about eliminating gasoline fumes escaping containers?

Bruce Wrenn
08-16-2016, 9:57 AM
George,

I have to store my gas closer to the house than I like so I spend a few $$.

I like Justrite steel can's. I don't buy plastic if there is a fire.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKIW3BA/ref=sxr_rr_xsim1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pd_rd_pt=nflxe&pf_rd_p=2286650982&pf_rd_r=0VP7FRPSM24WF4QSATW3&pd_rd_wg=QMTVN&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=GaeP9&pf_rd_i=gas+can&pd_rd_r=DD9hA&ie=UTF8&qid=1471315113&sr=1If there is a fire, type of can isn't going to make any difference. Will it melt before burning, or explode from heat first? Either way the results won't be pretty!

ken masoumi
08-16-2016, 10:01 AM
I think the PITA gas can designs are a result of U.S. EPA edicts. Is Canada a bit less 'enthusiastic' about eliminating gasoline fumes escaping containers?
The newer designs / containers with spill proof nozzles are available but the older type or design is what people seem to gravitate toward, probably they are actually easier to use/pour and are always available at lower prices.
This is the type I'm referring to, I own a few myself, different sizes but the spouts are identical:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41chgyNkKzL._SX355_.jpg

Jim Creech
08-16-2016, 11:19 AM
When the rubber spout on my old steel gas can finally gave out and replacements are no longer available due to the new regulations I just began to use a funnel. Easier to use than the so called "Spill Proof", cheaper and one size fits all! Just my .02!

Roger Feeley
08-16-2016, 12:53 PM
+1 on the no-spill gas can. The company is/was in Lenexa, KS, not far from where I used to live. When they got started, there were just a few places in the Kansas City area where you could get them. I bought one of the first at Air Parts (cool place, they supply experimental aircraft builders). I've had that ever since and it's worked great.

The only thing you have to remember with the No-Spill is to push the button while it's upright to vent any pressure.