PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Rich Riddle
08-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Any of you watching the Summer Olympic games? It seems rather warm to be an athlete in those games. Any favorites?

Mike Null
08-12-2016, 11:03 PM
I used to be addicted to it but that was way back when we thought they were amateur games. Now I enjoy the swimming and women's gymnastics and not much else.

Rich Riddle
08-12-2016, 11:05 PM
My wife likes most of the sports, even soccer. I find soccer, baseball, golf and Nascar a little less interesting than watching grass grow or paint dry. The short female from the USA was interesting in gymnastics.

Greg Peterson
08-13-2016, 12:15 AM
Between the IOC, the billions spent on infrastructure that mainly goes to waste after two weeks and rhe drugging, it's kind of hard to get into the spirit of the games anymore.

Yonak Hawkins
08-13-2016, 12:20 AM
I wish there were a way to watch the less glamorous sports : boxing, table tennis, archery, badminton, handball, water polo, etc.

Larry Frank
08-13-2016, 7:16 AM
I love sports but it is a giant waste of money for whatever city gets it. In addition, the IOC seems to be on the take and spend like they are kings.

I think most sports are available on live stream.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-13-2016, 7:39 AM
I wish there were a way to watch the less glamorous sports : boxing, table tennis, archery, badminton, handball, water polo, etc.

Since we live 30 minutes from Canada, and my wife is Canadian, we watch the Canadian broadcast most of the time.
No delays, more coverage, and they show a lot more sports, as long as there are Canadians competing in them.

And like NBC, they also have about 5 different channels where you can find other sports, if you can get them.

Erik Loza
08-13-2016, 8:00 AM
We're hooked. Been watching every night at primetime.

Erik

Jerry Thompson
08-13-2016, 8:04 AM
I have been watching Gun Smoke.:)

Jim Becker
08-13-2016, 10:09 AM
It seems rather warm to be an athlete in those games. Any favorites?
It's technically "winter" in Rio right now... ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-13-2016, 10:14 AM

.....and the athletes are grateful!:D

Yonak Hawkins
08-13-2016, 10:39 AM

Other pertinent information : Rio is in the tropics (but just barely).

Mike Henderson
08-13-2016, 10:47 AM
I haven't been watching all that much but I was amazed at Ledecky's performance in the 800 freestyle. She finished ahead of the second place person by 11 seconds. This is in a sport where hundreds of a second often separate two finishers.

The second and third place finishers were separated by 0.2 seconds.

Mike

Barry McFadden
08-13-2016, 12:36 PM
I used to be addicted to it but that was way back when we thought they were amateur games. Now I enjoy the swimming and women's gymnastics and not much else.

Agree with the "amateur" part...never really watched much anyway but now that they have highly paid pro athletes in the lineup I've never watched them...

Peter Kelly
08-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Other pertinent information : Rio is in the tropics (but just barely).Greetings from NBA House Rio! Perfect weather day down here. Actually been a tad bit cool in the evenings this past week.

Steve Wurster
08-14-2016, 8:06 AM

Pretty much everything (if not actually everything) is available on live streaming. I think you can even watch the past events online. I setup a Chromecast on our main TV and will watch it that way when something I want to watch is streaming but not currently on live TV.

Clarence Martin
08-14-2016, 9:09 AM
They should make the Olympic sport of the Hammer Throw , a technique used to tackle the Quarterback in the NFL !!!:D

Clarence Martin
08-14-2016, 12:18 PM
They say now that they are going to drain the pool that has the green water. 1 Million gallons . Said it will take 12 hours to drain it. I can't believe they don't have large capacity pumps that could pump that out in less than 4 hours.

Rich Riddle
08-14-2016, 5:09 PM
I just read an article indicating swimmers refer to the green pool as "the swamp."

Mike Null
08-14-2016, 5:27 PM
I have to admit that I was wrong about golf. I didn't think it should have been an Olympic sport. But as I watched and saw how thrilled the pro golfers were to be part of the Olympics I realized that their professional status didn't matter. They were playing for the honor of representing their countries and I was impressed with that.

Chris Padilla
08-15-2016, 1:30 PM
We record it all and are a day or two behind so I have to keep my eyes away from any spoilers although I couldn't help notice Usain Bolt on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle that was in many folk's driveway this morning as I walked my dog. I surmised that he won the 100 m but that wasn't really a big surprise. :) My wife is from Serbia so she is always interested in how her country is doing in the handful of events they participate in. Our daughter did gymnastics for almost 10 years before quitting a year ago so we enjoy watching that sport. She is into volleyball now so we watch all volleyball. I like all the sports in the Olympics but don't get too excited about diving, synch diving and synch swimming. I saw they had golf but I've never watched that on TV. Track and field is probably my favorite. We also recently bought a nice ping pong table but we have to catch those events online...doesn't seem to be much coverage on it.

Rod Sheridan
08-15-2016, 2:59 PM
Well, Penny Oleksiak is a favourite as she comes from my area.

There's a petition going around to bring back the penny coin ( we eliminated it in 2013), this time with Penny's head on it. When removed from use the penny had a maple leaf on one side, and of course the Queen on the other.

It would be fun to bring it back as a collector item as long as they don't bring it back into circulation...........Regards, Rod.

Izzy Camire
08-15-2016, 3:19 PM
I have been watching Gun Smoke.:)

Didn't know this was an Olympic event!

Yonak Hawkins
08-15-2016, 3:57 PM
I'm hoping that ESPN or some other network will be re-broadcasting all the events, even (and especially) in the less glamorous sports, in the coming weeks.

Bert Kemp
08-15-2016, 4:45 PM
I have a hard time finding free live stream.

Jim Becker
08-15-2016, 8:32 PM
I'm hoping that ESPN or some other network will be re-broadcasting all the events, even (and especially) in the less glamorous sports, in the coming weeks.
ESPN is mated with ABC, so that's not likely. But there's a lot of live streaming sources and it's likely a lot of that will be available after the fact from those sources.

Try http://www.nbcolympics.com/

They have full replays as well as live streaming.

Rich Riddle
08-15-2016, 9:53 PM
We use live streaming at the farm with RVEAL. They had some available through KODI if memory serves correctly.

Rich Riddle
08-18-2016, 9:54 PM
Between the behaviors of disgruntled gymnasts and fibbing swimmers, the USA isn't getting very good press for the athletes we send to the games. I really wish they would require some sort of minimal behavioral standards in addition to stellar athletic skills.

Pat Barry
08-18-2016, 10:09 PM
We're hooked. Been watching every night at primetime.

Erik

+1 - wouldn't miss it

Pat Barry
08-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Agree with the "amateur" part...never really watched much anyway but now that they have highly paid pro athletes in the lineup I've never watched them...
I don't understand the logic here. Don't you want to watch the BEST athletes in the world?

Mike Henderson
08-18-2016, 11:51 PM
As an American, I'm ashamed of the four swimmers who lied about being held up in Rio. The people of Rio are understandably sensitive about the crime in Rio and, I'm sure, don't appreciate someone lying about being robbed - especially when the lie was reported all over the world.

The swimmers may not face much as far as legal sanctions but their sponsors will likely drop them. You wonder what they were thinking.

Mike

Roger Feeley
08-19-2016, 2:49 PM
I'm 61 and I remember some of the earlier televised Olympics. The first one I remember was Mexico City which was the first games broadcast in color. The whole family trouped over to my Uncle Harry's house where he had a brand new color TV. We weren't allowed to touch the set because it had been installed and adjusted by a professional. The vertical hold was off and we watched 6 hours of the Olympics with the image rolling slowly. When he died, we got the set and I got a look at the back. Same knobs we had on our B&W set with the addition of RGB, color and hue. I could have adjusted it and I was only 8 years old.

There was a sense of wonder in the coverage of those earlier games. It was like the announcers were experiencing the games right along with us. Now, everything is better organized and that sense of wonder is gone. The announcers kind of sit around and congratulate each other on how good their analysis is. It's just not that much fun anymore.

I watch curling in the winter games. That and the Biathalon and that's about it. There's not much in the summer games that can make me even look up from the paper.

Prashun Patel
08-19-2016, 4:35 PM
The men's basketball is a cruel joke. Those nba players have all the self congratulatory hubris that they do during the all star game.

I also have a problem with treating the swimmer medal counts on par with the other sports where they only get one chance to compete. Ledecky deserves her glory tho!!! She is amazing.

I would like to have seen more back stories of the athletes. I'm a sucker for that stuff.

Am here in Germany for a week and all I can see is Lochtes drama. I am more ashamed of the media preoccupancy with that than I am with twenty somethings making dumb drunk mistakes.

Erik Loza
08-19-2016, 5:35 PM
The men's basketball is a cruel joke. Those nba players have all the self congratulatory hubris that they do during the all star game...

My wife and I feel the same way. It seems so out of balance balance to see kids who probaby have to get up at 4:00AM every morning to train and who probably live on PBJ sandwiches and top ramen, fighting to win a medal for the US and then a bunch of pro NBA guys with giant diamond earrings and tons of gold jewelry. I have no problem with pro NBA players and no problems with buying whatever jewelry you want but I wonder how much more opportunity one of those NBA guys could give the other 99% of struggling US olympic athletes if they sold a few of those giant diamonds and donated the proceeds to the US olympic programs?

Erik

Mel Fulks
08-19-2016, 5:38 PM
That country has enough problems without being defamed by a vandal whose word is for sale. The consequences will be a market adjustment of that commodity.

Brent Cutshall
08-19-2016, 9:08 PM
All and all, the Olympics are very expensive, but not as expensive as other shows of strength like war. The Olympics would be a nice alternative to war as far as settling problems. War is sometimes necessary, but everybody loses in war, it's just the one that loses the least that "wins".

Art Mann
08-20-2016, 3:54 PM
When I see the Olympics, all I can think about is the 42 condoms per athlete that are being given away by the National Olympic Committee. It makes me question what they are there for.

ryan paulsen
08-20-2016, 4:06 PM
When I see the Olympics, all I can think about is the 42 condoms per athlete that are being given away by the National Olympic Committee. It makes me question what they are there for.

Making balloon animals?