PDA

View Full Version : CMS Blade Question

Scott Donley
09-27-2005, 3:10 PM
Hi all.
When I bought my TS (Craftsman)there was a rebate for 2 10in. TS blades. One is a 60t blade. Can I use this on my Dewalt 703 CMs? Not looking for perfect cuts, just rough cuts on narrow stock, I just want to make sure it is not an unsafe thing to do. IT'S not a slider and gets very little use but really needs a new blade. No info on the blade other than 10in,carbide tip,60t,TS blade,Thanks for any feedback!

Donnie Raines
09-27-2005, 3:17 PM
Hi all.
When I bought my TS (Craftsman)there was a rebate for 2 10in. TS blades. One is a 60t blade. Can I use this on my Dewalt 703 CMs? Not looking for perfect cuts, just rough cuts on narrow stock, I just want to make sure it is not an unsafe thing to do. IT'S not a slider and gets very little use but really needs a new blade. No info on the blade other than 10in,carbide tip,60t,TS blade,Thanks for any feedback!

Any of the current 10 inch blade on the market will fit it....should have a 5/8 arbor. I use an 72 tooth blade on my 12 inch saw....the saw is a PC and I use a Ammana blade.

Byron Trantham
09-27-2005, 3:31 PM
Donnie, is right. Any high tooth count with a 5/8" arbor will work. Good luck.

Jim Becker
09-27-2005, 3:45 PM
One caution...table saw blades have a differnet "hook" angle than CMS-specific blades. Negative hook is preferable for the CMS. Too agressive (positive hook) can be, umm...a safety issue in some cases with the CMS.

Don Baer
09-27-2005, 3:47 PM
When I got my DeWalt it came with a 40t and the first thing I did was replace it with a 60t. Made a big differance.

Scott Donley
09-27-2005, 3:58 PM
One caution...table saw blades have a differnet "hook" angle than CMS-specific blades. Negative hook is preferable for the CMS. Too agressive (positive hook) can be, umm...a safety issue in some cases with the CMS.Thanks Jim, Thats my problem, I know the hook angle is important on a slider, but is still an issue with a non slider? Two days ago I would have just thrown it on and been done with it, then I did a search here on SMC and got confused(easy at my age) Most other info was for a slider.

Dave Harker
09-27-2005, 4:05 PM
I think any blade with a positive hook (most TS blades) is less than ideal on a CMS. Mine is also a DW 703. Positive hook, on a TS, holds the wood down to the top of the TS. On a CMS, the positive hook will try to pull the wood UP (since blade is now above the wood, vs. TS where blade is below the wood).

So, on a CMS, negative hook blades hold the wood down against the saw's table, just the same as positive hook blades on a TS hold the wood against the table.

Any 10" blade w/ 5/8" arbor will mount and cut wood, but I wouldn't use a blade with the "wrong" hook on either my TS or CMS. I use a freud 60-tooth blade made specifically for CMS usage, has -5 hook angle (negative 5) and works great - sorry don't recall model number.

good luck,
Dave