PDA

View Full Version : clock hands

Jeff Chumbley
09-27-2005, 2:40 PM
I am looking for vectorized clock hands that I can vector cut out of acrylic for a customer any ideas?

Jeff

Joe Pelonio
09-27-2005, 3:52 PM
Jeff,

What software are you using? I don't know of any clipart that includes clock hands, have Corel 5 and 12, plus vinyl sign programs. In the past I've done them a couple of ways, the easiest is to make a tall rectangle, then add a point on each side near the bottom, and remove a point from the top and bottom,
and center the remaining points. Also you could turn the bottom horizontal line into a curve to make it rounded on that end. Another style would be a tall thin rectangle with a small circle welded to the bottom. For the hole that the clock shaft goes into you weld a circle at the appropriate spot and add a circle to
be cut out within that circle, sized for the shaft diameter.

George M. Perzel
09-27-2005, 7:53 PM
Hi Jeff;
I have a bunch- what kind are you looking for?
George

Jeff Chumbley
09-28-2005, 1:45 PM
George,

I am looking for more of the solid ones that I can cut from acrylic. I have a customer that makes neon light clocks and wants to see if you can get an edge light effect on the clock hands from the neon lighting.

Jeff

George M. Perzel
09-28-2005, 4:13 PM
Hi Jeff;
Try the ones attached-size to fit application.
George

Shaddy Dedmore
09-28-2005, 4:14 PM
OK, I made a little tiny tutorial (http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/ClockHandVer9.cdr) on how you might make one yourself.

I saved it in Corel 9, made it in 12. I am a fan of using the CTRL button while making shapes, and using the Snap feature (that allows you to use objects for alignments). In 12, CTRL will keep circles round (instead of eliptical).

Make rect
Make circle same width, align bottom.
Add line towards top.
Add clock lines (using snap makes it easy)
For the alignment lines in the circle, add lines starting from the center, use CTRL and then the while using the outer circle as an endpoint the line will make stops at the main degrees, I chose what looked like 45°
Close the path for the clock hand (I used blue so you could see it better)
Weld it with the big circle
So, using something similar, you should be able to make your own design with the proper sizes.

Shaddy

Jeff Chumbley
09-28-2005, 6:28 PM
Thanks to all, Shaddy I did one of the lids for the doughmaker pans and it came out sweet. Thanks. Now if I can just figure out how to sell it. Its hard working out of your home with no foot traffic.

Jeff

Joe Pelonio
09-30-2005, 5:20 PM
Jeff,

For that sort of thing if you are able to come up with a bunch of them, try the wholesale route, and go show them to some retail establishments, in this case specialty/gourmet kitchen stores. Stick to the small ones, chains may not be able to purchase locally. I've been wholesaling to gift shops and have regular sales to some advertising specialty retailers. Nice thing is they do the work of finding the customers, bad thing is the price has to be considerably less. I have
a sign shop so while I do make a few sales to sign customers that see samples I have around, I too have to be creative to find customers for the laser art. Oh, another one is inexpensive ads on forums and clubs, maybe a baking hobby or wedding gift club newsletter ad? I have a few of those going and get some
results, UPS account helps because orders come from all over the country.

Pat Kearney
09-30-2005, 6:11 PM
I am sure I saw this in some posting previously but for the life of me I cannot find it. I am trying to download the files such as the .cdr clock hoands above and cannot make it work. When I right click on the download link and save it to a file all I get is a HTML. If I click on it to open it all I get is a webpage with a bunch of "gobbly gook" characters. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PAT

Shaddy Dedmore
09-30-2005, 7:10 PM
If you can download something, even if it attaches a HTML ending, you can usually find the file after downloading, and rename it so it has a CDR extension. That has worked for me in the past. I believe it's the way your browser recognizes the extension (it's getting confused). You could try a different browser if you have one available. But the renaming has worked for me.

Shaddy

Pat Kearney
09-30-2005, 8:13 PM
Thank you Shaddy. By changing the program the file opens with it worked

Jeff Chumbley
10-01-2005, 11:42 AM
thanks for the insight joe I will look into those things.

Jeff

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Funny thing, an hour after my last post one of my wholesale customers that does advertising specialties came in for a bid on a job engraving 7,000 anodized aluminum plaques. Cutting the price to the bone I offered to do it at $1 each, they will take about 30 seconds but tie up the laser for a long time. Plus I'll have to bring in extra help for this job, but paying them $10/hr I'll still be able to get a
profit of close to $6,000 if I get the job (he's providing the materials). These don't come every day but get your name out there so you do get calls.