PDA

View Full Version : Alumamark users---

Kev Williams
08-11-2016, 5:22 PM
I have a couple of pieces of something similar to Alumamark, but I think it's a different brand. I've had them for at least 6-8 years...

I won't use them because they look cheesy to me. Simply put, they look like so-so imitations of aluminum and brass. Rowmark's & New Hermes's brass & aluminum laminates look MUCH more like the real thing than this stuff does...

I have an upcoming job where Alumamark would really come in handy, IF it actually looks something like the real thing.

Those who use it, or have at least seen the stuff--- does it?

Colors that may work are satin brass, mirror brass and satin silver...

Thanks in advance!

John Blazy
08-11-2016, 6:21 PM
Is Acriglas Metallics by Acrilex any good? Not to hijack the thread, but curious how this product compares to Alumamark. It appears to be a tad pricier than Alumamark.

Mark Sipes
08-11-2016, 7:00 PM
Sublimation is 100 x better IMHO..... I have never gotten a quality imprint via laser with Alumamark or LazerBlack or Ultra Laser Alum....

Ross Moshinsky
08-11-2016, 7:08 PM
Sublimation is 100 x better IMHO..... I have never gotten a quality imprint via laser with Alumamark or LazerBlack or Ultra Laser Alum....

I've used LazerBlack from JDS for years now. It's not a primary material I use, but I use it when the job requires. It marks fine and actually holds up well outside. I'm curious as to what issues you had. I mark it with just a little more power than "painted" aluminum/steel.

Braden Todd
08-11-2016, 10:13 PM
We use a lot of alumnamark and have had great results. If you can, avoid silver it tends to be the only one that needs a little extra attention. If your settings or focus are off it will appear grey and not jet black.

Mike Null
08-12-2016, 7:08 AM
I avoid using Alumamark as it is a bit finicky and will not hold up in outdoor applications. It seems to me that JDS came up with their own variety a few years back but I generally use laser sublimation instead.

Kev Williams
08-12-2016, 1:14 PM
Thanks all for the feedback--

From the replies, it seems like the stuff likely hasn't changed much... I asked about this after a phone call (end customer looking for cheaper options) before I saw a sample photo of what was done before, which it turns out was mirror-polished steel, tool engraved, paint filled, and all clearcoated, very nice looking plate, with obviously a lot of time and labor involved.

Alumamark isn't even in the ballpark as a reasonable substitute. And the original was made in Mexico, so no matter what I come up with, I doubt 'cheaper' is going to happen...

Brian Leavitt
08-12-2016, 1:21 PM
Good candidate for Cermark?

Mike Null
08-12-2016, 2:12 PM
Kevin

Horizons is also the source of the Metalphoto process which is outstanding. You might look for a shop in your area that does it. It's also pricey but really high quality. http://metalphoto.com/

Chris Achtschin
08-13-2016, 11:07 AM
I used to use a lot of Alumamark a lot, now I've been sublimating instead whenever I can.
Sublimated metal is much more consistent.

Hannu Rinne
08-13-2016, 4:01 PM
Kevin

Horizons is also the source of the Metalphoto process which is outstanding. You might look for a shop in your area that does it. It's also pricey but really high quality. http://metalphoto.com/

Hi Mike,

Is the Metalphoto the same than Durablack ?

Mike Null
08-13-2016, 5:00 PM
No, it's a completely different process. I believe the link will explain it and show how it's done.