PDA

View Full Version : Slow start to the weekend...

steven c newman
08-11-2016, 2:02 PM
Only went to one sale today......meh. Found a 1/4" drive ratchet, and it even included a socket! Just a quarter. Spent twice that on the other tool purchase for today....
Needs a bit of clean up. I think fifty cents was a fair price for a Leatherman Wave. It is complete. Nothinng broken...for once. I did not see a sheath for it, though...bummer

Oh well, still two days left of sales. Maybe I'll get lucky?:rolleyes:

May have to change my "titles"......to "Bandit & Highwayman Enterprizes"?

steven c newman
08-12-2016, 9:57 PM
I will get a couple of photos in the morning, but....for about $7, I now have a decent tack hammer, and a panel saw, and a full sized crosscut saw. May need to make new handles for them, though, the saws that is. Plan is to go out in the morning and hit a few other sales, before both the crowds and the showers get there....

steven c newman
08-13-2016, 11:17 PM
Ok, was out & about this morning....came home and had a nap. So, what kind of weekend was this?
Well, for fifty cents, I got a 16 pc tool kit, called a Leatherman Wave...
$3 each....a Disston Panel saw and a full length crosscut of some sort..
This "medallion" is not a bolt, it does not go all the way through the handle. has a Green background, and the rim around the eagle is stamped "Better Merchandise".....we will see about that..
The tack hammer came with the saws on Friday. The other three was today's items.
Ironis stamped "PEXTO" inside a circle. The drill has a hollow handle. No cap though, but a metal lid. There is a "smiley face" in the metal lid, you rotate a tab, and a hole appears.
And out came all of those bits...one at a time.
The screwdriver was an afterthought, fo fifty cents...both it and the drill wound up being 1/2 price. Drill was $10.

Also picked a cushion for the Pine Rocker, and a new bandsaw blade. Wonder which of those two I will make use of first......

steven c newman
08-16-2016, 5:09 PM
The "Better Merchandise" saw? Any clues as to who made it for that Hardware company?

As for the drill....first time I have ever seen a bit storage like that. Not sure about who made it, either.

The Pexto plane seems to be a clone of a Sargent Co. plane.

I will try to get the Disston panel saw cleaned up this week...sometime.

The drill had both the drill points, and twist bits, 3 each. Wonder which actually came with the drill....

Total cash for the weekend? $22.75.....the drill was the most pricewise. Originally, they wanted $20 for it, managed to get it for 1/2 off. Might be a "keeper"?

steven c newman
08-16-2016, 10:43 PM
A little bit of clean up today.....back is sore..
Saw might be as old as I am?
Had to replace one bolt (stripped out) Saw was made just before HK Porter bought out Disston.

Plate is stamped as a 10ppi. 20" long. Bolt pattern might be either a D-7 or D-8? barely a hunt of an etch was found.
One down, one to go...

Phil Mueller
08-17-2016, 1:13 PM
Once again, Steven, you had good luck.
On Saturday, I picked up what I hoped would be a nice large Nicholson single cut file. When the rust went away, so did the hope. Another small donation to some estate.

steven c newman
08-17-2016, 6:30 PM
happens, from time to time...

Tried to take the handle off of saw #2.....they look like bolts, but they are rivets instead. Have the rest of the saw cleaned up. Currently working on a kink.....may just shorten the saw behind the linked spot. Would only lose about 5".....make another Panel saw out of it? Did not find any traces of an etch...handle may just get a sanding, and a Witch's Brew finish. Will have to go back and count the teeth, to see what ppi it has......