PDA

View Full Version : How long does dewaxed shellac last

William C Rogers
08-11-2016, 10:32 AM
I have a gallon of Zinzer dewaxed shellac. It is about 3-4 years old and had been opened when bought. I opened it and it looks fine, but was wondering if shellac goes bad?

John TenEyck
08-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Put a little on a piece of glass or in a plastic lid and see if it dries hard. If it does, it's good.

John

Jon Nuckles
08-11-2016, 12:19 PM
John is spot on with his advice. FWIW, I believe Zinsser claims either a 2 or 3 year shelf life from manufacture date for dewaxed shellac. That is supposed to be much longer than what you get when you mix your own. Of course, if you mix your own, you can make up only what you need.

glenn bradley
08-11-2016, 12:42 PM
As stated, Zinsser Seal Coat has a 3 year shelf life. The DNA in shellac contains some water. I have had metal containers rect reportedly due to this factor. I decant my gallons into mason jars and have used Seal Coat that is years old. I do test older product as John describes; it just take a short while to tell the tale.

Allan Speers
08-11-2016, 3:06 PM
Put a little on a piece of glass or in a plastic lid and see if it dries hard. If it does, it's good.

John

You also have to make sure it doesn't dry cloudy, unless you're just using it as a sealer/ primer. - And even then .....