PDA

View Full Version : Expressions You Hate

Rich Riddle
08-11-2016, 1:05 AM
I hate hearing......"well it's not ideal (perfect, the best way, etc.) because I know immediately that someone wants to perform inferior work. It's like they lump everything not 100% in a category and consider anything less than perfect as equal despite the face there are 99% solutions and 1% solutions. They aren't equal. Most who say it are trying to sell you something closer to the 1% solution. What expressions do you hate?

Joe Kieve
08-11-2016, 7:41 AM
"In other words"...saying to me, well you stupid, ignorant, so and so, I have to put it in simple, everday terms so you can understand. Ugh!

Bruce Wrenn
08-11-2016, 8:07 AM
" Let me honest with you." Does that mean they are lying the rest of the time? "Just alike except." Are they alike or not. In original post, use "this is the best option we have" instead.

Prashun Patel
08-11-2016, 8:16 AM
"# <insert comment>"

I get it, but hate it.

Rich Engelhardt
08-11-2016, 8:37 AM
@%#$&* instead of @#%$&*........I just hate it when people say the former but really mean the latter.

RPM's is another one that pushes my hot button....

And the infamous - "fair share"....

:D :D :D

Peter Kelly
08-11-2016, 9:09 AM
"I'm OOO tomorrow's so I'll need that POV on the client's ROI by EOD"

Erik Loza
08-11-2016, 9:59 AM
Actually, my pet peeve is not so much the sayings but the context in which they are used. I work with someone who emails my customers and periodically uses "text language" in official communications. For example: "plz respond ASAP". Drives me insane.

David L Morse
08-11-2016, 10:07 AM
"It is what it is"

Well sure, of course it is. At least it isn't what it isn't.

Erik Loza
08-11-2016, 10:42 AM
"It is what it is"

Ha, I use that all the time.

Back when I first came on board with Minimax USA, our CEO/sales manager, Jim, always amazed me with his ability to talk and be received positively by customers without actually saying anything. He would get on these rolls and basically speak a language of what we called isms, without actually talking about the machines or whatever and folks ate it up. For example, "Keep on, keeping on", "Doing it's thing", or some other git-er-done type sayings. None of the rest of us could get away with that but it worked for him. He would close huge deals without actually saying one specific thing about the machines. It was amazing.

Erik

Prashun Patel
08-11-2016, 10:49 AM
"Not for nothing".

I can't for the life of me (ooh there's another one) figure out what the above means.

Matt Day
08-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Actually, my pet peeve is not so much the sayings but the context in which they are used. I work with someone who emails my customers and periodically uses "text language" in official communications. For example: "plz respond ASAP". Drives me insane.

I completely agree. My wife is a physician and one of her coworkers uses text language a lot in emails and on top of that is always in a rush, therefore, his emails make no sense. He's supposed to be a well educated professional and Doctor, right?

Kev Williams
08-11-2016, 11:45 AM
"fair and balanced"... this is by far thee most ridiculous oxymoronic TV network slogan in history, regardless of your political affiliation... (btw, I'm a conserberal) ;)

"no worries" ... EVERYONE started that a few years ago... and usually there are... ;)

"Its not fair!!" -- we have 16 grandkids, most of which are teenagers..

And "#" = hashtag? .... it's a POUND SIGN!!!! And that's what I call it...

John Lanciani
08-11-2016, 11:50 AM
"It is what it is"

Actually, It isn't what it isn't if it is what it is.:p:)

glenn bradley
08-11-2016, 12:19 PM
"It is what it is"

Yep, that's mine.

Rich Riddle
08-11-2016, 12:23 PM
I learned something new, what a hashtag means. I never knew it was a pound symbol. I will still call it under the former name.

Scott Donley
08-11-2016, 12:27 PM
" I'm just saying"

Mike Null
08-11-2016, 1:31 PM
My DIL, a teacher, cannot utter a sentence without the word "like". I hate it.

Mike Henderson
08-11-2016, 1:44 PM
" I'm just saying"

+1

I don't know why but that phrase is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
08-11-2016, 1:48 PM
"What ever!"

Chris Padilla
08-11-2016, 1:52 PM
I'm okay with using 'ish' to give an approximate time but the problem comes in how one defines 'ish.'

'Ish' to me means +/- 15 minutes and let's face it, typically it is + 15-30 minutes!!

My daughter hates it when I ask her, "What's up?" Her wise apple answers are usually: "My age" or "The sky".

Dwight Rutherford
08-11-2016, 1:57 PM
Everything is "Iconic"

Erik Loza
08-11-2016, 2:34 PM
Everything is "Iconic"

Articles that pop up in my facebook feed with titles like "So-and-so ANNIHILATES this other person's speech", "Joe Bob SHREDS so-and-so with one tweet", or "Mr. Johnson absolutely DESTROYS this or that". You can't just say, "A compelling rebuttal" or "a strong counter-argument"? So silly.

Erik

Larry Browning
08-11-2016, 2:38 PM
How about phrases we love to use. "Let me say this..... About that!" (The pause in the middle is absolutely necessary)

Mel Fulks
08-11-2016, 2:58 PM
"I can't speak to that". Only took a few minutes of constant repetition ,only a few minutes ago and was used to inform the press. Just seems kinda short on detail.

Malcolm McLeod
08-11-2016, 3:02 PM
Is there a prize if we can use them all in one sentence? ...corporate sponsorship maybe?

Bruce Page
08-11-2016, 3:14 PM
The click bait phrase - SHOCKING!!!

John K Jordan
08-11-2016, 3:14 PM
"At the end of the day, ..."

Any phrase with "gifted" used as a verb.

Almost any non-specific thing a sports commentator or political analyst says to hear himself talk.

Every sports analogy a politician uses.

"Where the rubber hits the road."

#EVERYHASHTAG

A cheery "How are you doing today Mr Jordan?" from a stranger on the phone. No, sorry, I actually will not give you my money.

Michael Weber
08-11-2016, 3:30 PM
"Not to insult you, but... "
And its relative "No disrespect intended but..."

Andy Pogue
08-11-2016, 3:39 PM
"You welcome" instead of "you are welcome" or "you're welcome".
That seems to have started a few years ago among the 16-22 years old crowd. Every meal at a fast food place was a challenge not to say, "thank you" lest I got that reply.

Charles Wiggins
08-11-2016, 3:42 PM
"Excuse my French." I am more offended by that phrase than the semi-obscene thing you just said.

"To make a long story short..." This one only bothers me when the story goes on several more minutes after they say it.

"I could care less." No, you couldn't.

"From whence..." Redundant.

"My bad." This is just acknowledgement. It's not a substitute for an apology.

"With all due respect..." This just means you are about to say something disrespectful. It might be deserved, but it will be disrespectful.

Rod Sheridan
08-11-2016, 3:42 PM
"And then I was, like walking down the road"..........A speech pattern my youngest daughter used for some time.

It always resulted in me saying " I don't want to hear what it was like, tell me what it really is" . That of course, resulted in me receiving the "oh Dad" look.

I also find it odd when people say "Uh huh" instead of " You're Welcome".

Regards, Rod.

Charles Wiggins
08-11-2016, 3:44 PM
"It is what it is"

I actually like this one when used properly, basically to say, "This situation isn't changing any time soon. Roll with it."

Charles Wiggins
08-11-2016, 3:47 PM
My daughter hates it when I ask her, "What's up?" Her wise apple answers are usually: "My age" or "The sky".

When anyone asks me, "What's up?" I start looking at the ceiling or the sky like I am trying to figure that out.

John K Jordan
08-11-2016, 4:04 PM
"You welcome" instead of "you are welcome" or "you're welcome".
That seems to have started a few years ago among the 16-22 years old crowd. Every meal at a fast food place was a challenge not to say, "thank you" lest I got that reply.

I tire of the response "No problem" to my "Thank you."

Yonak Hawkins
08-11-2016, 4:27 PM
It's age old : You can't fight the new manner of speaking. Snarky comments only make you a fuddy duddy (to interject an old "new way of speaking").

Joe Tilson
08-11-2016, 4:31 PM
My mother used to say,"What in the world are you doing?", rather loudly when we were doing something she ask us to do in the first place. We probably weren't doing it just the way she thought it should be.

Brian Tymchak
08-11-2016, 4:32 PM
My DIL, a teacher, cannot utter a sentence without the word "like". I hate it.

feel the same way with the word "actually". Drives me nuts.

Brian Tymchak
08-11-2016, 4:37 PM
the very condescending .."I think what you are trying to say..." to cover the fact that the listener is incompetent..

Prashun Patel
08-11-2016, 4:46 PM
It's not a phrase, but since I learned what vocal fry is, it seems like everyone has it, and it drives me bats!

Wade Lippman
08-11-2016, 6:56 PM
"It costs 400% less" or whatever.
100% less is zero, so what is 400% less?

John Cole
08-11-2016, 7:02 PM
Transparent, as in he's being transparent.

If he was transparent you would not be able to see him. Surely there are more appropriate words - open, forthright etc.

Robert Payne
08-11-2016, 7:29 PM
I detest any conversation that starts with the word "So ...". It has become commonplace, even with TV reporters who should know better.

roger wiegand
08-11-2016, 7:32 PM
"With all due respect..." This just means you are about to say something disrespectful. It might be deserved, but it will be disrespectful.

Actually I love this one. It is completely accurate and more often that not the recipient the recipient doesn't figure out s/he's been dissed, making it all the funnier. "All due respect" is exactly that; if there's not much respect due, there's not much given. Most effectively employed by the Brits, who intend it as an insult. Americans seem to think it softens what follows, which completely misses the point.

Matt Day
08-11-2016, 8:05 PM
It's not a phrase, but since I learned what vocal fry is, it seems like everyone has it, and it drives me bats!

You must listen to NPR as much as I do. And TAL podcast...

Mark Blatter
08-11-2016, 8:46 PM
" I'm just saying"

I have come to dislike this saying more than any other, almost. It is used to allow people to say something snarky or nasty, but not take responsibility for it.

"I mean....." and they are starting a new conversation or point. They have not said anything yet, so are pre-qualifying it. Say what you mean and if you say it poorly, I will ask what you mean. I hear it all the time on NPR and when I am talking to people.

Tony Zona
08-11-2016, 9:20 PM
It's an octothorp, referring to the hash-tag, or pound sign thingie. Octothorp.

Sam Force
08-11-2016, 10:40 PM
"Have a blessed day" turns my stomach

Clint Baxter
08-11-2016, 11:28 PM
I hate it when somebody is selling something for "just a fraction" of the normal price. 99/100's is just a fraction. And doesn't make it any more appealing.

Clint

Keith Westfall
08-12-2016, 12:59 AM
After my wife explains something to me, or gives me her opinion of something: "Do you know what I mean?"

And her other favourite; 'Irregardless...'

Rick Potter
08-12-2016, 1:48 AM
We all have our local language, Dude.

The one educational tidbit which I remember is from Jay Leno a few years back. It may apply here......"In 1958, eighth graders had a vocabulary of 25,000 words, now it is 10,000 words"

In other words, I think he was saying we are getting dumber. No offense, just sayin'.

Ruperto Mendiones
08-12-2016, 2:27 AM
"Awesome" There are few things that should inspire someone to invoke this adjective. Yet it is used to modify every feeling AND noun in the book. Overuse to the point of extinction of meaning!

Tony Zona
08-12-2016, 5:42 AM
That seems kinda un-blessed.

:eek:

Mike Null
08-12-2016, 7:18 AM
Someone else mentioned "iconic". Our local TV people use this term every night and I assure you, they have no idea what it means.

I am also annoyed by "Breaking News", which isn't.

Frederick Skelly
08-12-2016, 7:28 AM
"Dude", when used by someone much younger. Especially when they're being corrected for inappropriate behavior at school, Church, etc.

Teen: "Dude, give me back my phone." :D:D:D

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2016, 8:57 AM
You mean y'all have shoes in Arkansas?

Gets me every time. :D

Greg Peterson
08-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Actually. As if to say everything else was not correct.

Yonak Hawkins
08-12-2016, 10:05 AM
I'll make a note, should I ever need to bid you well wishes upon departure from my presence, to instead just kick you in the groin.

Man, I'll remember not to come visit you.

Erik Loza
08-12-2016, 11:09 AM
This is one of the most entertaining threads in a while. Twelve of us could probably all sit at a table, give our "most hated" expression and I'd be willing to be that at least half the other people use it all the time, and vice versa.

Erik

Jim Creech
08-12-2016, 12:33 PM
"But wait"! Why can't they just say ..Wait? And "New and improved"! How can something be both "new" and "improved"?

Chris Padilla
08-12-2016, 12:44 PM
"We'll beat the lowest price you can find by 10% or it's FREE!!!!"

Uhm, I have a feeling they've never given away the item for free.... :)

Mike Berrevoets
08-12-2016, 12:57 PM
My favorite from commercials is "For just Pennies a day..." Uh, is that 10 pennies a day or 10,000 pennies a day?

John K Jordan
08-12-2016, 1:16 PM
My favorite from commercials is "For just Pennies a day..." Uh, is that 10 pennies a day or 10,000 pennies a day?

How about "Big sale, up to 50% off!" "Up to" also includes 0%, 1%, ...

Jim Finn
08-12-2016, 1:38 PM
I learned something new, what a hashtag means. I never knew it was a pound symbol. I will still call it under the former name.
The "former name IS "pound symbol".

Hash tag is it's new name

Patrick McCarthy
08-12-2016, 1:55 PM
Dudes and dudettes, This is one of the totally most entertaining threads in a while. Twelve of us could probably all sit at a table, give our "most hated" expression and, at the end of the day, I'd be willing to bet that at least half the other people use it all the time, and vice versa. . . . just sayin'. (edited to convey, like, ya know, like the more "hip" side of our bro #Erik)

Erik

Dude, that's an awesome observation! Actually, totally gnarly too.
And, irregardless of what Malcolm may try to do to my groin, have a blessed day.

Andy Pogue
08-12-2016, 1:57 PM
Another one that gets me is "how may I take your order?"
Seems to combine "how may I help you" and "may I take your order"
I am tempted to answer "with speed and accuracy, please!"

Roger Nair
08-12-2016, 2:39 PM
Cashier, "Do you want your milk in the bag?"

Me, "Nah, just keep it in the bottle."

Matt Marsh
08-12-2016, 3:47 PM
"That's a mute point!"

Peter Kelly
08-12-2016, 3:58 PM
*moot point

Ryan Mooney
08-12-2016, 4:58 PM
Hilarious thread, thanks guys it made for a great Friday read.

"That's a mute point!"

:rolleyes: If only it were so, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I hate hearing......"well it's not ideal (perfect, the best way, etc.)

I tend to use that with the implication that "it" works and works well enough for the purpose but if you want the better solution its going to cost a lot more. The alternative phrasings I've found are not generally a lot more appealing.

'I could care less' - you could?

The implication is that I could possibly care less but it would be somewhat of a stretch to achieve such a level of disinterest. This is commonly the case and generally occurs when someone else cares more about something than is strictly warranted. For example in many instances when people become overly hung up about regional phraseology I couldn't care less (this response notwithstanding), which is good because if I did it would unduly upset me :cool:

"no worries" ... EVERYONE started that a few years ago... and usually there are...

This originated as Hawaiian slang (pidgin) and more or less literally translated as "it was not a serious problem, if it was we'd be having beef outside right now". Or less colloquially someone did something they felt obligated to apologise for and the "no worries" response meant that "you are forgiven, it wasn't that big of a deal". I can't account for how the kids nowadays are using it and would certainly declaim any responsibility.

the very condescending .."I think what you are trying to say..." to cover the fact that the listener is incompetent..

I think you are discounting the case when the speaker is incompetent. This is a useful technique to ensure that the listener has the same understanding that the speaker does. Not to disparage any parties present (heh lets see who THAT gets) but this is an unfortunately common occurrence usually evidenced by the crowd of listeners stepping aside to ask each other "did you understand what he was saying? no? me neither" and then one person being nominated to step forward to obtain clarification.

It's an octothorp, referring to the hash-tag, or pound sign thingie. Octothorp.

Yes, thank you! Octothorp, its correctly called an octothorp :D

I hate it when somebody is selling something for "just a fraction" of the normal price. 99/100's is just a fraction. And doesn't make it any more appealing.

4/1 is a valid fraction as well :D

"It is what it is"

They don't think it be like it is, but it do..

Yes oscar, it certainly do be like it is.

Kev Williams
08-12-2016, 5:39 PM
#####... I'm going to start pretending I'm a phone message when I answer the phone:

"If you know your party's extension, please enter that now, otherwise, press octothorp for more options"

That should be good for a laugh...

Got a kick out of responses to 'with all due respect'... reminded me of what you say to someone with an ugly baby:
"Why, he's just as cute as he can be!"...

And I have another one I haven't seen here, probably because it's almost dead (thankfully):

"What up?"

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2016, 6:06 PM
Gentle Reminder Here:

Please do NOT include any political or religious comments in this thread. I know we are all well meaning here but please...it will help keep the workload down. :)

Rich Riddle
08-12-2016, 7:08 PM
The "former name IS "pound symbol".

Hash tag is it's new name
Jim, I was saying the same thing, but in an awkward way. I never knew what hashtag meant.

Paul Saffold
08-12-2016, 10:35 PM
"Your package has shipped", yet when you watch the tracking number you see it hasn't shipped and won't for a day or 2. All it means is your order is in the system and a tracking number has been assigned.

Also "at this point in time". NOW, thank you very much.

Tony Zona
08-13-2016, 6:07 AM
"At the end of the day" when it doesn't really mean quitting time.

Mike Malott
08-13-2016, 9:01 AM
Come together and moving forward are two of my peeves.

Mike

Barry McFadden
08-13-2016, 4:05 PM
It drives me nuts when surfing the internet when everything is EPIC!!....Epic fail...Epic reply....Epic putdown..... and anybody that does ANYTHING on the internet is an INTERNET SENSATION!!!....somebody sings someone's song and immediately they're an INTERNET SENSATION......and the picture or video goes VIRAL!!! ....I'm sure I could post a video of my dog taking a dump and it would go VIRAL!!!....and last but not least are all the posts about what some actor looks like now and it is JAW DROPPING!!!!

Chris Padilla
08-15-2016, 1:09 PM
This thread is approaching epic, Barry, and may go viral, too!! ;) :)

Keith Outten
08-16-2016, 11:40 AM
"Have a blessed day" turns my stomach

The rules against discussion of political or religious topics here have rarely been applied to signatures, greetings or closing statements in posts because they are not discussions. If they become a problem we can certainly amend the rules, but before we even consider this action I suggest that we continue to allow reasonable leeway in this area as long as comments are not antagonistic or intend to incite a controversial response as viewed by the majority of our Members or Staff. It is an impossible task to assure that every word or sentence you view here is scrubbed to perfection in an effort to assure that not one person will be offended. Although this seems to be the direction the United States Government is moving towards it is impractical and disruptive in any reasonable conversation or exchange of ideas within our society and more specifically this Community.