View Full Version : Performax 37-2 drum sander

Mike Henderson
08-10-2016, 11:57 PM
I have a Jet 16-32 drum sander and have been on the lookout for a wider one. A guy on Craigslist has a Performax 37-2 for about $2K. Anyone know anything about this drum sander? Is it a good sander? It's actually a bit large for my use - I'd prefer a 25" just because of space in my shop.

It's 5Hp, 240V single phase, which is no problem for me.

Mike

Tom Ewell
08-11-2016, 9:39 AM
I don't know anything about the label evolution of these particular machines but I do know that my old Performax 22-44 is the ringer for those now coming out as Jet.

When I was buying (mid '90s I think), Performax had two lines I was looking at, the open end Performax xx-xx and the closed end bigger models which I'm pretty sure carried the label of Performax- SuperMax

If you're happy with your current Jet, I suspect that the 37-2 would perform similarly but with a lot more oomph, that two drum advantage is there and lots more dust created per run too.

David Kumm
08-11-2016, 10:21 AM
I've had both the 25x2 and the 37x2. Both are great for what they are. A little slow and not much can come off but still a fine machine. The 5 hp on the 37x2 is a true 5 hp. some of the earlier 25x2 were listed as 5 but were really 3. Sand smart is OK but not a deal breaker if not there. The idea is to not take so much the sandsmart takes over as it leads to a slight inconsistency in the sanding finish. Check that the spring clips on the head aren't bent or screwed up. The table mechanism might need adjustment as the wider the table the more the gearing can get mess ed up but easy to adjust. Great machine for cleaning up bandsawn veneer and glueups. I usually ran 80-120 or 100-150. Anything finer tended to burn up too quickly. I also used poly glue rather than yellow as the belts last longer with the softer poly. 2K is a good price if condition is decent. Dave

Bill McNiel
08-11-2016, 12:17 PM
I have the SuperMax 25/50 that I got an unbelievable deal on used. I did a ton of research on drum sanders and it seemed that the SuperMax came out on top for performance and value. The 16/32 is being sold for approx. $1,400 new and I would buy that before a used Performax.

David Kumm
08-11-2016, 12:40 PM
The larger closed end drum sanders, while not a widebelt, are a large step up from the open ended or cantilevered designed ones. Dave

Mike Henderson
08-11-2016, 1:39 PM
I have the SuperMax 25/50 that I got an unbelievable deal on used. I did a ton of research on drum sanders and it seemed that the SuperMax came out on top for performance and value. The 16/32 is being sold for approx. $1,400 new and I would buy that before a used Performax.
I have a 16/32 (Jet) that works fine. The problem is that I want a wider sander. They may say that you can run your work through twice to get 32 inches but I always get a ridge on the work where the drum ends. The theory is that you can adjust the unit to eliminate that ridge but I've never been able to really get rid of it.

That's why I'm looking for a wider drum sander. I want to sand wider panels with one pass.

Mike

Bradley Gray
08-12-2016, 12:03 AM
I upgraded from a performax 22/44 to a supermax 25 dual drum about 5 years ago. You will love the extra speed/power compared to the cantilevered units. It's still not a wide belt but a big step up.

mreza Salav
08-12-2016, 10:27 AM
I have the 37x2 Performax (with a big Made in USA tag in front) with 5HP motor. It has helped me a lot in sanding down large and heavy items (such as those solid Maple passage doors I made for our house). The lifting mechanism is the weakest point of it I found. the cheap cast gears sometimes slip on the shaft, the set screw doesn't hold it tight, etc. I eventually removed the set screw, drilled a hole into the shaft so that the screw would actually go into the shaft. Problem solved.

Mike Hollingsworth
08-12-2016, 10:48 AM
I had one of those Performax. Biggest complaint is the huge footprint. Legs stick way out.
I've seen others with smaller footprints like the General. Go see Jesse at Eagle Tools.

Mike Henderson
08-12-2016, 12:42 PM
I had one of those Performax. Biggest complaint is the huge footprint. Legs stick way out.
I've seen others with smaller footprints like the General. Go see Jesse at Eagle Tools.
This is one of those "beggars can't be choosers" type things. I can't really afford to buy new and I've been watching Craigslist for quite a while looking for a larger drum sander at a decent price - and a decent brand.

If price was no object, there's several new drum sanders that I might choose, but on Craigslist, you have to make a decision when they come available.

Sort of like dating.:)

Mike

Mike Henderson
08-12-2016, 2:40 PM
I decided to pass on this one. It's just too big for my shop - 58 inches wide. Just no where it would fit. I'll keep looking for a 24 inch drum sander.

Mike

mreza Salav
08-12-2016, 3:15 PM
Just to let you know I think the price was a bit too high. Not because I paid $300 (CAD) for mine in excellent condition.
Yes its foot print is large and the legs expand and are trip hazard!

Mike Henderson
08-12-2016, 3:56 PM
Just to let you know I think the price was a bit too high. Not because I paid $300 (CAD) for mine in excellent condition.
Yes its foot print is large and the legs expand and are trip hazard!
Wow, you got a deal. The 5HP motor is worth more than that. Congratulations!

Mike

Biff Phillips
08-12-2016, 4:50 PM
I have this sander (37 X 2).. it is fantastic. You should get it.
One thing to note though.. I had to upgrade my dust collection in order to run it. I now have a clearvue cyclone. Of course, there are other options.. I just want to make sure that you know there may be an additional expense invovled.

I have locking casters on mine, I push it into a corner when not in use, so the footprint is not that big of a deal.