PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Grizzly G0771 Tablesaw

Stew Hagerty
08-10-2016, 5:14 PM
Ok, I don't mean to beat on any dead horses, but...
I happen to have a few extra bucks on hand, and the 771 is on closeout. I have a typical late 80's vintage Craftsman contractors saw. I used it as a General Contractor, and have been using it for the last 6 years as a woodworker. I did upgrade it with a U50 Vega fence, which was a HUGE in grade for it. I've also sealed it up as best you can one of these saws, and added a dust chute underneath. I'm confident that I can get $300 for it in rather short order, which cuts the price of the Grizzly nearly in half. I know own that it has cabinet mounted trunions like a true cabinet saw, which is a huge plus, and I can plug it right into my current 110v outlet, yet have the capability to switch it to 220 at some point.
I have done some browsing and the other threads about this saw have quite a bit of age under them so I thought I'd post this and see if I can get any perspectives from owners who have now had one for a while.
I am fully aware of the shortcomjngs of the fence. So, besides that, what is your opinion?

Cary Falk
08-10-2016, 7:59 PM
I will just say that if you buy the grizzly and like the vega then put the Vega on the Grizzly and sell the craftsman with the Grizzly fence.

Stew Hagerty
08-11-2016, 2:07 AM
I will just say that if you buy the grizzly and like the vega then put the Vega on the Grizzly and sell the craftsman with the Grizzly fence.

Actually I'm thinking of putting on an Incra TS-LS fence system.

Rich Riddle
08-11-2016, 8:05 AM
Stew,

The saw is fine. I like the Incra router but am not sure the fence for the table saw wouldn't be a pain to use all the time.

Matt Day
08-11-2016, 9:08 AM
Actually I'm thinking of putting on an Incra TS-LS fence system.

Now i'm confused. Sounds to me that you've got a certain budget you need to stick to, but then you're going to drop $400 on a new fence system?

Stew Hagerty
08-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Now i'm confused. Sounds to me that you've got a certain budget you need to stick to, but then you're going to drop $400 on a new fence system?

I'm not going to do the fence tomorrow. I will use the stock fence for the time being.

glenn bradley
08-11-2016, 1:21 PM
A lot of discussion can be found here. Punch this into your browser of choice( without the quotes): "G0771 site:www.sawmillcreek.org"

Rick Potter
08-12-2016, 2:07 AM
Not familiar with it, but my first question is......."Does it have a riving knife?".

Stew Hagerty
08-12-2016, 2:25 AM
Not familiar with it, but my first question is......."Does it have a riving knife?".

Yes, it does

Stew Hagerty
08-12-2016, 2:27 AM
A lot of discussion can be found here. Punch this into your browser of choice( without the quotes): "G0771 site:www.sawmillcreek.org"

Those appear to be the ones I browsed through before starting this thread. They're a little older, which is why I wanted to try and get a fresh perspective from those who may have had their saw for a while.

Marc Burt
08-12-2016, 3:38 PM
Same as you I scoured the internet trying to find reviews of that saw. I've spend probably two months putting it into my cart and taking it back out! In the end I gave up and just pulled the trigger on a new 1023 and be done with it.

That said, i never found any really terrible reviews on it. The biggest common complaint was, as you mentioned, the fence. Good luck in your decision!

scott spencer
08-13-2016, 9:21 AM
The G0771 with the Vega fence should be a really nice setup at a very reasonable price. Full enclosure, cabinet mounted trunnions, solid cast wings, hybrid design, true riving knife, and you'll obviously have a nice fence if you add the Vega.

With a nice blade and proper setup, this should work well for you.

Mike Roberts
08-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Is this going to be your last ts you will ever buy? Will you be content with this ts in your golden years? Does "Flesh sensing technology" trip your trigger? Since you have a good working ts right now your in a pretty good situation to save more money for the last ts you may ever need or want.

Ray Newman
08-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Read what Mike Roberts posted; then re-read it.

I've seen posts about w'dworkers who traded-up two, three, or more times before the bought what they always/originally wanted....

daryl moses
08-13-2016, 1:27 PM
I've had my G0771 for over a year. No complaints from me, saw runs and cuts great.
My previous saw was an old Craftsman which served the purpose, the G0771 is a big step up.
I'm 66 years old and quite sure this will be my last T/S.

Stew Hagerty
08-13-2016, 5:34 PM
Is this going to be your last ts you will ever buy? Will you be content with this ts in your golden years? Does "Flesh sensing technology" trip your trigger? Since you have a good working ts right now your in a pretty good situation to save more money for the last ts you may ever need or want.

Read what Mike Roberts posted; then re-read it.

I've seen posts about w'dworkers who traded-up two, three, or more times before the bought what they always/originally wanted....

I have thought long and hard about SawStop. I just do not foresee being able to spend that much money on a TS. I am disabled, in a wheelchair on SSDI. I'm 57 years old, and my wife is approaching retirement. I just don't see a whole lot of money in our future. That said, woodworking for me is both physical and mental therapy. I am unable to drive, so I can't just pick up and go visit a friend, or even run to the hardware store unless my wife (or someone else) takes me. Yes, my old Craftsman works now, but it is FAR from a great saw. It has no riving knife, marginal dust collection even with my enhancements, and with the Vega on it I can't even use the blade guard.

Stew Hagerty
08-13-2016, 5:35 PM
I've had my G0771 for over a year. No complaints from me, saw runs and cuts great.
My previous saw was an old Craftsman which served the purpose, the G0771 is a big step up.
I'm 66 years old and quite sure this will be my last T/S.

Daryl, out of curiosity, what do you think of the fence? How usable is it?

Stew Hagerty
08-13-2016, 5:40 PM
The G0771 with the Vega fence should be a really nice setup at a very reasonable price. Full enclosure, cabinet mounted trunnions, solid cast wings, hybrid design, true riving knife, and you'll obviously have a nice fence if you add the Vega.

With a nice blade and proper setup, this should work well for you.

I was going to sell the Vega with my current Craftsman saw. I no longer have the original fence system for it.
My plan is to use the stock fence until I can afford to put something better on. Be that a Vega, a Biesemeyer, or maybe even an Incra would be down the road.

daryl moses
08-13-2016, 7:05 PM
Daryl, out of curiosity, what do you think of the fence? How usable is it?
It's "usable" not exactly repeatable though. When you lock it down it doesn't always go back to being square 100% of the time. If I use my thumbs and push inwards toward the table then lock it down it will square up. I can't see spending the extra $$$$$$ for anything better when it does what I need it to do.

Scott Cenicola
08-13-2016, 9:46 PM
I'll agree on the fence. Its not my old bies, but its serviceable. I've had G0771 for over a year and I'm very satisfied. My old setup was a contractor saw on a custom rolling table with a biesmeyer fence. The only thing I miss is the extra rip capacity. The fence works for me, I get repeatable accurate cuts. Based on your circumstances I would recommend it. I love mine.

scott spencer
08-14-2016, 8:16 AM
I was going to sell the Vega with my current Craftsman saw. I no longer have the original fence system for it.
My plan is to use the stock fence until I can afford to put something better on. Be that a Vega, a Biesemeyer, or maybe even an Incra would be down the road.

I'd give some serious consideration to putting the Vega on the G0771, and the stock Grizzly fence on your Cman saw. The Vega will add some value to the Cman, but not nearly enough to cover the cost of replacing it. It's also a very nice fence that's easier to install than most.

.....or you may find that the pieces parts of the Cman fetch more on Ebay than the whole saw would sell for locally....motors tend to go for $80-$125, the motor mount can get $10-$15, steel wings can go in the $20-$30/pr range, cast wings can get $15-$25 each, miter gauge $10-$20, hand wheels $5-$20 depending on whether they're metal or plastic, the motor switch will get $10-$20, and the blade guard can get $30-$40 if you still have it. The leg stand can get $10-$20, but is a lot of work to take apart (often not worth it) ....the main body and tops don't sell well, but tend to get ~ $10 in scrap (the top can make for a nice extension wing). Then put the Grizzly fence up for sale for another $50-$100.

Good luck!

Marc Burt
08-14-2016, 9:32 AM
I think Scott has the right idea in selling the grizzly fence with the craftsman saw. Your Vega isn't going to get you the money it's worth selling it with the saw on craigslist. And, with respect, your prospective buyer of a contractors saw on craigslist is more than likely not going to be too discerning - they're just looking for a saw on the cheap.

That way you save yourself hundreds in buying as new fence and you're still selling a complete saw. The ebay thing has merit but don't underestimate shipping charges.

Curt Harms
08-14-2016, 9:54 AM
I'd give some serious consideration to putting the Vega on the G0771, and the stock Grizzly fence on your Cman saw.

Good luck!

That's what I did when I moved a Mule Cab fence from a C'man 113 series saw to my current G1023. I knew the C'man saw wasn't going to bring a lot of $ either way so put the Griz Jet Fence (crude) knock-off that came with the G1023 on the C'man. The guy that bought the C'man saw didn't care - he wanted a saw to rip a whole bunch of boards the same width and would set the fence then clamp it down with C clamps if necessary.

Stew Hagerty
08-14-2016, 12:07 PM
I'd give some serious consideration to putting the Vega on the G0771, and the stock Grizzly fence on your Cman saw. The Vega will add some value to the Cman, but not nearly enough to cover the cost of replacing it. It's also a very nice fence that's easier to install than most.

.....or you may find that the pieces parts of the Cman fetch more on Ebay than the whole saw would sell for locally....motors tend to go for $80-$125, the motor mount can get $10-$15, steel wings can go in the $20-$30/pr range, cast wings can get $15-$25 each, miter gauge $10-$20, hand wheels $5-$20 depending on whether they're metal or plastic, the motor switch will get $10-$20, and the blade guard can get $30-$40 if you still have it. The leg stand can get $10-$20, but is a lot of work to take apart (often not worth it) ....the main body and tops don't sell well, but tend to get ~ $10 in scrap (the top can make for a nice extension wing). Then put the Grizzly fence up for sale for another $50-$100.

Good luck!

I think Scott has the right idea in selling the grizzly fence with the craftsman saw. Your Vega isn't going to get you the money it's worth selling it with the saw on craigslist. And, with respect, your prospective buyer of a contractors saw on craigslist is more than likely not going to be too discerning - they're just looking for a saw on the cheap.

That way you save yourself hundreds in buying as new fence and you're still selling a complete saw. The ebay thing has merit but don't underestimate shipping charges.

That's what I did when I moved a Mule Cab fence from a C'man 113 series saw to my current G1023. I knew the C'man saw wasn't going to bring a lot of $ either way so put the Griz Jet Fence (crude) knock-off that came with the G1023 on the C'man. The guy that bought the C'man saw didn't care - he wanted a saw to rip a whole bunch of boards the same width and would set the fence then clamp it down with C clamps if necessary.

That's not a bad idea, and which I had never thought of. Thank you. I might just do that.

Kurt Kintner
08-14-2016, 4:50 PM

there are a lot of newbies looking for a decent starter tablesaw.... I put my stone stock (and complete) Craftsman 113.xxxxxx on Craig's list and got $175 for it.... About the going rate in Atlanta .....
Not sure the Grizzly fence, or the stock fence, would matter to the the buyer.....
My buyer was impressed with the nice condition the top was in.... No comments on the rest of the saw....