PDA

View Full Version : Praise for Donkey's Ear shooting Board

Prashun Patel
08-10-2016, 4:23 PM
I learned how to make and use a Donkey's ear attachment for my shooting board and I just had to sing its praises.

There are some things that are done easier by hand than with machine, and shooting is one of these things. I'm making case liners for a cabinet and mitering the insides has been a snap and a joy with this.

David Charlesworth liberated me of my prejudice that shooting boards are hard to align perfectly. His philosophy is to just make it as best you can and shim. For the bevel ramp, as long as the gussets are dead 45, then the only thing that requires shimming is between the ramp and the base's fence.

This is the ugliest, crudest shooting board you're likely to see. But pretty is as pretty does, and the results are just great.

Now, if I could find a way to make my dovetails gapless around the base lines... Sawdust...

The Veritas Shooting plane is also so nice to use. Here's a case where those little set screws holding the blade in position are a boon. You can easily take out the blade mid-session, sharpen and return it to the exact position. It also cuts on a skew angle. Working through a 3/8" bevel can be a hand-wringer, even with a perfectly set up LN #7 put in your hands by Brian H. But with this plane, it makes it as ergonomic as possible.

Pat Barry
08-10-2016, 5:05 PM
Whats with the title?

glenn bradley
08-10-2016, 5:25 PM
Whats with the title?

I'm going with a Peter Gabriel reference.

Those miters are a thing a beauty. Now I'll have to have oneCould you expand on "case liners" a bit for me? I have lined cases with velvet, flocking, leather and even paper (a-la Rogowski) but, am intrigued.

Pat Barry
08-10-2016, 5:57 PM
td.
He does woodworking?

Patrick Chase
08-10-2016, 5:59 PM

Perhaps a politically correct version... "let's see, electrocuting animals is bad m'kay, and primates are a little too close to humans for comfort, so.... stock the donkey!"

Prashun Patel
08-10-2016, 6:14 PM
Yes it's a Peter Gabriel reference. The liners are Brian holcombe's design. He is coaching me through a build.

Tim Cooper Louisiana
08-10-2016, 6:55 PM
Yes it's a Peter Gabriel reference. The liners are Brian holcombe's design. He is coaching me through a build.

Wait, coaches are available? Is there a draft? Can we start up a Neander woodworking decathlon? Did I drink coffee too late in the afternoon?

Pat Barry
08-10-2016, 6:57 PM
Yes it's a Peter Gabriel reference. .
Turning into a cutefest isn't it? Cant just say something simple?

Prashun Patel
08-10-2016, 7:02 PM
With jigs like that with gaps and glue squeeze out, cute words and puns are all I got, pat!

Brian Holcombe
08-10-2016, 7:06 PM
Prashun, those are looking great!

Brian Holcombe
08-10-2016, 7:08 PM
Pat, Peter Gabriel worked exclusively in golden proportion.

Malcolm McLeod
08-10-2016, 7:17 PM
Pat, The thread title was made to fit golden proportion.

Oh, please! No. Please, no. Pleeeeeeeeaase?

And I read all of Prashuns threads because of it. Wish I had half the lyrical recall.:)

paul cottingham
08-10-2016, 9:24 PM

Hiw about, we enjoy his puns.

Phil Mueller
08-10-2016, 9:29 PM
Too funny, Brian.

Derek Cohen
08-11-2016, 7:00 AM
I learned how to make and use a Donkey's ear attachment for my shooting board and I just had to sing its praises.

There are some things that are done easier by hand than with machine, and shooting is one of these things. I'm making case liners for a cabinet and mitering the insides has been a snap and a joy with this.

David Charlesworth liberated me of my prejudice that shooting boards are hard to align perfectly. His philosophy is to just make it as best you can and shim. For the bevel ramp, as long as the gussets are dead 45, then the only thing that requires shimming is between the ramp and the base's fence.

This is the ugliest, crudest shooting board you're likely to see. But pretty is as pretty does, and the results are just great.

Now, if I could find a way to make my dovetails gapless around the base lines... Sawdust...

The Veritas Shooting plane is also so nice to use. Here's a case where those little set screws holding the blade in position are a boon. You can easily take out the blade mid-session, sharpen and return it to the exact position. It also cuts on a skew angle. Working through a 3/8" bevel can be a hand-wringer, even with a perfectly set up LN #7 put in your hands by Brian H. But with this plane, it makes it as ergonomic as possible.

Hi Prashun

It is easiest to set up a donkeys ear once so that it is at the precise/desired angle than fiddle with shims each time. Shims are fine for when a mitre needs to be tuned, but this is not to be relied upon for boxes.

You can set your donkeys ear by adding levelling screws underneath ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Setting%20Up%20and%20Using%20a%20Shooting%20Board4 _html_2fa6eac0.jpg

Mine is also connected to the front (adjustable) fence with a bolt. This allows minor alterations in the lateral as well.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/BuildingaMitredPencilBoxwithaShootingBoard_html_m4 ea5c3a8.jpg

Add some nonslip to the fence as well (sprinkle caster sugar or fine salt over varnish) ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/BuildingaMitredPencilBoxwithaShootingBoard_html_m5 36ec68c.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prashun Patel
08-11-2016, 8:28 AM
(In Your Eyes, the thread title may have been a distracting, Big Time, so I took a Sledge Hammer to it.)

Thanks, Derek. As with most things I'm trying first, I read your website. I missed the bit about leveling screws though. That's clever and elegant. My ramp is a prototype and I will make a proper one. I think I may invest too in the Veritas shooting track. Oil and or wax keeps my wood deck moving ok, but I have had to adjust mine a little because of movement, and I suspect the corrugations on the base of the aluminum track will give a smoother glide.

As for the salt in the varnish, it appeared to me that as the plane goes through the cut, it draws the piece down to the deck and against the fence. I was surprised how straight a cut this yields. Is it because the blade is skewed downward in the Veritas shooting plane? I've hated cutting bevels on the table saw because of this phenomenon (it's tricky to prevent the piece from being pushed away from the tsaw blade when both ends are beveled. For me it's because when beveling the second side, registering the first, 'pointed', side against a stop requires no gap between the stop and fence. Further, bevel cuts on the tablesaw always yield burning for me. Shooting is a much saner way for me to work.

Thanks as always for the pix and advice.

Patrick McCarthy
08-11-2016, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=Prashun Patel;2592402](In Your Eyes, the thread title may have been a distracting, Big Time, so I took a Sledge Hammer to it.)

OH Prashun, a LOT of us out here in the silent majority rather enjoy your posts. Don't start changing because of the few. There will always be grumps out there; just consider the source. Pretty sure the title critic is someone who could win millions in the lottery and would still complain about having to pay taxes , or that it was only 2 million rather than 5.

Keep up the sense of humor, we don't mind if occasionally we have to think a bit to figure out a witticism.

Christian Hawkshaw
08-11-2016, 1:24 PM
[QUOTE=Prashun Patel;2592402](In Your Eyes, the thread title may have been a distracting, Big Time, so I took a Sledge Hammer to it.)

OH Prashun, a LOT of us out here in the silent majority rather enjoy your posts. Don't start changing because of the few. There will always be grumps out there; just consider the source. Pretty sure the title critic is someone who could win millions in the lottery and would still complain about having to pay taxes , or that it was only 2 million rather than 5.

Keep up the sense of humor, we don't mind if occasionally we have to think a bit to figure out a witticism.

I think he just wanted to add three more Peter Gabriel song references......