PDA

View Full Version : tenoning jig

roy knapp
09-27-2005, 10:58 AM
I just took the tenoning jig out the box and set it up as per instructions.
Its the Grizzly H7583, new product just out the past couple of months. I have beeb cutting my tenons on my home made jig and it worked well but when i saw this one i kinda look over my needs and could not justify the over $100.00 dollar price range. The grizzly H7583 was $59.95 and well, you know you usually get what you pay for but thought that for the amount of tenons that i do this might be good enough. I was happily surprised at how it was made and machined. So i think that its a good addition for the infrequent tenon maker. :) :)

Byron Trantham
09-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for th tip, Roy. ;)

Jeremy Gibson
09-27-2005, 6:12 PM
Good timing! I picked up that very thing as part of a $300 gift certificate from Amazon for my B-day. I don't have a digital camera so I was waiting for film developing to post my gloat. I put it together and then had to leave on business to Toronto. The only thing I didn't like (and this goes for any jig) is the metal on metal between the table saw top and the bottom of the jig. I was thinking of taking off the tee washers from the miter bar and adding UHMW tape to the bottom. Has anyone else done that to metal-bottomed jigs or am I paranoid?

Mike Cutler
09-27-2005, 6:53 PM
Roy. The tenon jig from Grizzly is exactly like my Delta model, but about $30.00-$50.00 bucks less. It's a great tenon jig.
I made two mods to mine;
1. I mounted a piece of MDF to the face of the jig, so that I could cut to the inside if required.It also helped hold the material better
2. The Delta model had a slight "wozzle" in the miter slot that drove me nuts. According to Delta the fit was supposed to be "loose" . The theory being that you would apply pressure into the blade on the cutting stroke, and apply pressure away from the blade when you were bringing the material back.
I never bought this answer and place a page from a magazine under mine to stop it from "wozzling" in the slot. It tightens up really nice and slides well. I have the magazine page under the tenon jig, so this may help out the problem that Jeremy is concerned with,ie. scratching the surface of the TS.
As far as being "good enough for the few tenons". I cut close to 600 tenons with this jig over the last two projects, and all errors were of my own doing. I really only needed about 525 of them :eek:
Nice Gloat, and nice addition.

Bruce Page
09-27-2005, 7:03 PM
Hello Roy, I’ve been thinking about getting a tenoning jig so I thought I’d take a look at this one. Grizzly doesn’t even have a picture of it on their website – what’s up with that? They can manufacture the thing but they can’t take a picture of it? :confused:
Can you post a pic of yours?

Mike Cutler
09-27-2005, 7:10 PM
Bruce. Try this link.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=h7583