PDA

View Full Version : Is Not Having A Hand Wheel On The Head Stock A Nuisance?

Dom Garafalo
08-09-2016, 4:28 PM
I'm thinking out loud that I may upgrade my Jet 1221VS at some point during the next 6-12 months to a larger machine.

I like the specifications and price on a Grizzly G0733 which seems like a lot of lathe for the money.

One concern I have is that model does not have a hand wheel on the headstock because I use the hand wheel on my Jet all the time.

Just wondering if anyone has a G0733 or any other lathe without a hand wheel on the headstock and if its something you easily got use to or if its a inconvenience?

Thanks

Roger Chandler
08-09-2016, 4:39 PM
It is a lot of lathe for the money! I owned its predicessor, the G0698 for over 5 years, and sold it to one of the clubs I am a member of. It is still going strong, no problems. The G0766 is bigger with 22" swing and has a handwheel. I had no problems without one on my 0698, just do things with the spindle locking pin, and screw chucks on and off without a wheel.

JT turning tools makes one for the G0733, so his vac adaptor works with it, so you can add or make one yourself. There is a thread for it on the GGMG.

allen thunem
08-09-2016, 4:40 PM
Dom
why not take the wheel off of your existing lathe and find out.

daryl moses
08-09-2016, 5:22 PM
I've got a G0733 and don't miss it not having a hand wheel. A hand wheel would probably be handy spindle turning or anything between centers but I most often turn bowls etc. with a chuck or faceplate and just turn it by hand.

Brice Rogers
08-09-2016, 5:28 PM
The G0766 is cheaper than the G0733 AFAIK. At this points, Grizz has most of the "kinks" out of the G0766. I think that the foot print of the two lathes are about the same. At this point, the spindle height should also be the same.

David Roseman (who is on this forum) has created a document how to make your own handwheel. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/group.php?gmid=866&do=discuss
PM him if interested in making your own. I don't think that it is all that hard, especially if you turn it out of wood.

Dom Garafalo
08-09-2016, 6:58 PM
why not take the wheel off of your existing lathe and find out

Good idea....I'll give it a try

At this point, the spindle height should also be the same

Actually, the G0733 has a 44 7/8" spindle centerline to floor distance compared with a much taller 47 13/16" distance for the G0766.

Given that I'm 5'7" along with comments I've read on the internet, the G0766 would be uncomfortably tall for me. Particularly since there is no practical way to shorter the legs on the G0766. I know some people build platforms to stand on but I'm not sure I like that idea from a safety standpoint. Except for lathes with adjustable legs, 44 1/2" spindle centerlines to floor distance seems about the most common which is also how my Jet 1221VS is set up.

David C. Roseman
08-09-2016, 7:01 PM
[snip]
JT turning tools makes one for the G0733, so his vac adaptor works with it, so you can add or make one yourself. There is a thread for it on the GGMG.

Roger, do you mean the G0766? I don't think JT Turning makes a handwheel for the G0733, as the spindle does not extend outboard beyond the headstock.

Dom, I have a G0733 and a G0766. Brice is correct that I wrote up a tutorial a few years ago on making an integrated handwheel and vacuum adapter for the G0733. Happy to send it to you if you'll PM me with an email address. With text and pics it's too big a file to post on SMC. It uses the threaded holes in the spindle pulley intended to receive a bolt-type wheel puller to secure the shop-made handwheel.

It's a matter of personal preference, but for myself, I really find a handwheel useful.

Roger Chandler
08-09-2016, 9:15 PM
Roger, do you mean the G0766? I don't think JT Turning makes a handwheel for the G0733, as the spindle does not extend outboard beyond the headstock.Sorry David..........I got ahead of myself.....you are indeed correct!

Brice Rogers
08-09-2016, 9:37 PM
Dom, I can offer some clarity to the issue of spindle height that you will find most interesting.

1. Around December or January of last year, Grizzly quietly substituted new and shorter legs for the G0766. I think that this was in response to people (like you and me) complaining of the spindle height. I got a set of the new legs and they are 2" shorter than the old ones. I can confirm that the new legs are about 2" shorter than the original ones (on which the primary specs are based).
2. Grizzly changed their manual but forgot to change their specification sheet. But if you go to the G0766 page on Grizzly and click on their manual, you'll find that it has different specs IN THE MANUAL than their main spec sheet. If you go to the manual and look up the spec there, you'll see that the new floor to spindle height is 46-1/4". If you look at the parts list, I think that you'll see that the legs have a part number as 79V2. V2 stands for version 2.

John K Jordan
08-09-2016, 9:57 PM
... lathe without a hand wheel on the headstock and if its something you easily got use to or if its a inconvenience?

I the times I've had a handwheel removed temporarily from a lathe I really missed it. However, I think it depends a lot on what you turn and how you work. For example, when I turn bowls and platters I like to position the work with the handwheel while using hand scrapers or sandpaper. I use the handwheel to rotate a piece back and forth to look for scratches, tearout, etc. For thin spindle turning I find it even more important since with a bowl/platter I can usually grab the wood itself instead of the handwheel.

JKJ

Jamie Straw
08-09-2016, 10:50 PM
FWIW: My Jet 1236 doesn't have a handwheel, the relatively new Nova Comet II does have one. The Comet revealed to me how nice it is to have a handwheel. However, I find that on the Jet, if I'm turning a bowl I can simply move the bowl directly, or use the chuck as an easy turning aide. If I'm turning winestoppers, the drawbar is a handy way to move the spindle. Other spindle stock often goes in a chuck, easy to turn that.

Aaron Craven
08-10-2016, 8:05 AM
I have a Harbor Freight 34706 (don't laugh), which doesn't have a hand wheel. There are times I wish it had one, but I've managed to do without it. It certainly wouldn't be a make or break feature. There is apparently a compatible wheel I can buy (I think it's actually a part for a Jet lathe), but it doesn't have a through-hole for the knockout bar.

Not having a handwheel has taught me a few bad habits, though... Since I tend to turn the spindle by had (with the lathe off) and that movement has become automatic, I occasionally catch myself reaching for the chuck when the lathe is running! I haven't hurt myself yet, but if I don't break that habit, it's gonna happen.

Doug Ladendorf
08-10-2016, 8:56 AM
I think a handwheel becomes more important on a larger lathe. You might be tempted to pull on the work instead. I find it very helpful to have one for the reasons mentioned above, primarily for inspecting for tear out and scratches, or applying a wipe-on finish.

Jamie Straw
08-12-2016, 12:59 PM
I have a Harbor Freight 34706 (don't laugh), which doesn't have a hand wheel. There are times I wish it had one, but I've managed to do without it. It certainly wouldn't be a make or break feature. There is apparently a compatible wheel I can buy (I think it's actually a part for a Jet lathe), but it doesn't have a through-hole for the knockout bar.

Not having a handwheel has taught me a few bad habits, though... Since I tend to turn the spindle by had (with the lathe off) and that movement has become automatic, I occasionally catch myself reaching for the chuck when the lathe is running! I haven't hurt myself yet, but if I don't break that habit, it's gonna happen.

Aaron, I use a brightly colored Grifiti Band (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFMBL9Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on my chuck if I'm working close to it -- it stands out even in peripheral vision to remind me to keep a healthy distance.

Aaron Craven
08-12-2016, 1:13 PM
Aaron, I use a brightly colored Grifiti Band (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFMBL9Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) on my chuck if I'm working close to it -- it stands out even in peripheral vision to remind me to keep a healthy distance.

That's a great idea, Jamie!

Geoff Whaling
08-12-2016, 5:03 PM

A lot of turners use a piece of inner tube from car / motorcycle / bicycle tyres to protect knuckles from sharp edges on chucks. Its not such a bad idea but be aware that when you do make contact with the band that it is far more likely (than bare steel) to drag you into the machine because of the extra grip / higher coefficient of friction.

Jamie Straw
08-12-2016, 10:26 PM
A lot of turners use a piece of inner tube from car / motorcycle / bicycle tyres to protect knuckles from sharp edges on chucks. Its not such a bad idea but be aware that when you do make contact with the band that it is far more likely (than bare steel) to drag you into the machine because of the extra grip / higher coefficient of friction.

What I've found with the Grafiti Band is that it won't stay on the slides of the chuck if they are poking very far out at all, but I try to turn tenons so that I don't have to open the chuck that far. What might be better would be to have very short "whiskers" on the chuck, eh? Tickle your hand just before contact.

John K Jordan
08-12-2016, 11:11 PM
... have very short "whiskers" on the chuck, eh? Tickle your hand just before contact.

That is a creative idea. Kind of like the whiskers on a horse's nose. My blind horse makes good use of those.

I got in the habit of never reaching for the chuck to turn by hand. Maybe that's helped me to avoid getting clipped by one. For spindle turning I do like the cylindrical "wheel" on the Jet 1642 far better than the wheel on the PM5320b. The bigger wheel might be better for large turnings. I want to make one for the PM when I find the time.

JKJ