PDA

View Full Version : Century Link's "internet cost recovery fee"

Stephen Tashiro
08-09-2016, 3:11 AM
Here in Las Cruces, NM, Century Link charges me $3.99 a month as an "internet cost recovery fee". Is this fee the same in other parts of the country?

John K Jordan
08-09-2016, 7:02 AM
Is Century Link your internet provider? My provider in TN doesn't list such a fee as a line item but I'll bet my boots they simply factor it into the cost. I wonder if such a fee is listed separately to try to appear competitive by advertising the price then adding the fee later.

JKJ

George Bokros
08-09-2016, 7:31 AM
Is that in addition to your cost for their internet access? TWC has no such charge. Perhaps they are doing that so their regular cost for internet can be stated at a lower price then they bang you with the added cost of the internet cost recovery fee. What is your total cost for your internet service, including the "internet cost recovery fee," and what is the speed they are selling you in mbps?

Brian Tymchak
08-09-2016, 8:01 AM
Here in Las Cruces, NM, Century Link charges me $3.99 a month as an "internet cost recovery fee". Is this fee the same in other parts of the country?

A quick Google -> Link (http://www.centurylink.com/help/index.php?assetid=225)

Seems the answer is "no". Look towards the bottom left in the rather small gray print.

Bruce Wrenn
08-09-2016, 8:07 AM
After reading the link, I though your price included these costs. Our AT&T internet has gone from $15.95 to almost $40. If it's buffered any more, you tube videos will be on flash cards. Not much faster than dial up.

Rich Riddle
08-09-2016, 9:22 AM
That sounds like another fee a company is charging that is similar to additional dealer markup for a car.

Steve Eure
08-09-2016, 9:34 AM
It's probably a fee such as those attached to your phone service that the giverment imposes so they can give free internet to those who are too sorry to work for what they have. They are already advertising free internet in my neck of the woods for those who get a giverment check. Makes me sick to think of it.

Jim Becker
08-09-2016, 11:50 AM
These are "below the line" fees which are the way that providers raise their prices without raising their prices. These are NOT government taxes or fees...they are a way for the provider to make more money. Period. They all do this and get away with it, despite them appearing to many folks to be mandated collections such as taxes, which they are not.