PDA

View Full Version : How to remove anvil, Millers Falls 214 saw set?

Sydney Smith
08-08-2016, 4:25 PM
A recently acquired Millers Falls #214 saw set (or clone) is outmaneuvering me. I want to remove the anvil and grind on it, as the tip of the anvil is chipped off. The handle is mounted with a drift pin, which was no problem to remove. Removing the handle allows access to the barrel of the tool, in which resides the anvil. The anvil is spring loaded, and tension on the spring is maintained with another drift pin, which goes through the barrel. This is embedded in the body of the tool. It looks to me that the drift pin has to come out to release everything. There's not enough room to tap out the drift pin, I don't think...but somebody got it in there, it's gotta come apart, seems to me. Has anyone dismantled one of these saw sets?

Sydney Smith
08-08-2016, 7:22 PM
I think I got it, punch and pliers, not the most straightforward thing. Instead of trying to grind past the rather large chip in the anvil I welded a tiny little filler bead on it and reshaped the anvil with grinder and files. I think it will work ok now. Image is the reshaped anvil.

Brent Cutshall
08-09-2016, 6:16 AM
Sounds like a good solution, I really hate it when the anvil on a saw set chips. I've got a MF214 like that and I'm happy to say the anvil hasn't chipped yet. Good luck!

Jim Koepke
08-09-2016, 1:18 PM
Sounds like a good solution, I really hate it when the anvil on a saw set chips. I've got a MF214 like that and I'm happy to say the anvil hasn't chipped yet. Good luck!

Most likely you haven't used it to straighten bent nails.

jtk

Brent Cutshall
08-09-2016, 6:47 PM
Most likely you haven't used it to straighten bent nails.

jtk I've never thought of that, but that would probably work great for straightening nails. I have a Stearns No.204 that's made for big old log saws, it would probably straighten a twenty-penny and not even think about it. I can't believe I haven't thought of that before.