PDA

View Full Version : Roller bearing grease fitting

Bert Kemp
08-08-2016, 3:04 PM
I'm pretty sure this is it, but just checking with you all before I try to grease this.342115

Gary Hair
08-08-2016, 3:49 PM
That is a grease fitting but be very careful you don't put in too much or the wrong type - I was told many years ago that you should just apply lithium soap based grease to the rail and that's it.

Bert Kemp
08-08-2016, 4:47 PM
Are you saying don't pack grease into the fitting just apply to the rails. That will be sufficient

That is a grease fitting but be very careful you don't put in too much or the wrong type - I was told many years ago that you should just apply lithium soap based grease to the rail and that's it.

Bill George
08-08-2016, 5:00 PM
Frankly if the carriage is running on ball bearing wheels why does the rail need lube? Unless its steel and to keep it from rusting? I would think grit, dirt and whatever would get imbedded in the grease? I could see a dry spray lube maybe?

Not using silicone is a good idea, once that is in the air and lands on a object to be painted, its bad news.

Bert Kemp
08-08-2016, 5:15 PM
So your saying grease the roller bearings and leave the rail alone?

Frankly if the carriage is running on ball bearing wheels why does the rail need lube? Unless its steel and to keep it from rusting? I would think grit, dirt and whatever would get imbedded in the grease? I could see a dry spray lube maybe?

Not using silicone is a good idea, once that is in the air and lands on a object to be painted, its bad news.

Gary Hair
08-08-2016, 5:23 PM
That's what I was told. I did that on my Explorer and the rail lasted over 7 years before I changed it out. I was also told that the grease on the rail was not much more than a rust prevention treatment. However, I did notice a significant difference before and after cleaning/lubricating the rail so the "rust prevention" didn't seem to be the only benefit to me.
What I would really suggest is that you talk to the folks that make the rails/bearings and see what they have to say - more valid than hearsay like you are getting here.

Gary Hair
08-08-2016, 5:25 PM
I was told it has two purposes - one is to keep the rail from rusting and the second is that the bearings do pick up some of the grease and stay lubricated.

Now that I've read your post over, I think you are asking about a carriage that uses some type of rubber wheel that rolls on a metal rail. What I'm talking about is a bearing block that rides on a rail, and that's what is in the picture in the original post. Two very different animals.

Bill George
08-08-2016, 5:29 PM
I had assumed that the carriage was running on sealed ball bearings like the three I have owned. A closer look and it looks like its just sliding on the rail. I would find the owners manual or talk to Ray, not one of the office gals.

Bert Kemp
08-08-2016, 6:35 PM
I'm pretty sure theres sealed ball bearings and not rubber wheels. I sent Ray an email, figure it will be a while before he gets back to me as they are slow on emails. But its not critical at the moment, was just cleaning and lubing and thought I never have greased the bearings.

I had assumed that the carriage was running on sealed ball bearings like the three I have owned. A closer look and it looks like its just sliding on the rail. I would find the owners manual or talk to Ray, not one of the office gals.

Bert Kemp
08-08-2016, 10:10 PM
From Ray Scott
Your laser machine uses high quality bearings on each axis. These are steel ball bearings in a recirculating housing (pillow block bearing). They do need to be oiled or apply a very thin grease.