PDA

View Full Version : Cascading waterfall - an exercise in filling cracks

Brice Rogers
08-08-2016, 1:26 PM
I had a crotch of Jacaranda that had some bark inclusions that were severe enough that I wanted to fill them before attempting to turn. I experimented with filling the cracks with turquoise colored epoxy with a subtle amount of turquoise glitter. It is 9-1/2 " in diameter and 3" high. I used shellac as a sanding sealer and finished it with rattle can satin finish lacquer. I thought that I would share this. Eventually I'm going to buy some turquoise in-lace. But this basically served the same purpose.

My wife calls this piece a "cascading waterfall".

Comments and critiques welcome.

Roger Chandler
08-08-2016, 1:43 PM
Nice job on the fill, Brice.....looks nice!

Brian Kent
08-08-2016, 1:44 PM
Very beautiful. I really like the look of the Jacaranda and the fill. I also respect your wise choice to epoxy the crack before turning.

bernard feinerman
08-08-2016, 3:51 PM
It is a beautiful bowl. Did you fill it with Epoxy while it was still 3" thick, or did you fill it with Epoxy in stages, i.e. fill the outside of the blank, then rough turn the shape and add more epoxy as the cracks appeared?
Bernie

Brice Rogers
08-08-2016, 5:19 PM
Bernard,

I filled it in stages. IIRC, I drizzled some thin CA initially to get to the root of the cracks for strengthening. Then, I mixed the colored epoxy and applied it to all of the cracks and used some thin wire to encourage the epoxy to go deeper. Then after I turned I refilled the cracks a few times. Each application of the colored epoxy with a little fine glitter came out very slightly different but I found that I preferred that over a perfectly homogeneous color.

Sid Matheny
08-08-2016, 5:50 PM
Great job turning and saving this one and the fill does look like a waterfall!

Pat Scott
08-09-2016, 9:55 AM
What did you use to color the epoxy?

David Delo
08-09-2016, 10:04 AM
I usually don't care all that much for fill-ins but I kind of like what you've done with this Brice. I notice it but not so that it takes over the focus of the entire piece. Well done.

Brice Rogers
08-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Pat, I used some Testers brand enamel paint that I got at the local craft store. That was one of those tiny little rectangular bottles that kids use to paint model airplanes and such. It only takes a very small amount of the paint to color the epoxy. I first mixed part A and part B of the epoxy together and then dipped the tip of a Starbucks coffee stirrer into the paint and then remixed. So I used perhaps a drop or two of the enamel per silver-dollar sized blob of epoxy.

Randy Red Bemont
08-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Very nice. I also like the shape of the bowl. Nicely done.

Red