PDA

View Full Version : Resaw Help - Southeast Wisconsin

Brad Seubert
08-08-2016, 1:00 PM
Making a blanket chest as a wedding gift for my brother and wondering if anyone in southeast Wisconsin has a large bandsaw and could resaw a few pieces for me.

I have a few 1" thick x 9"-12" wide x 24" long curly maple boards and I would like to be able to get split so I can bookmatch two 1/4" thick pieces.

Willing to pay or possibly trade some curly maple for the help

Thanks!

Scott Brader
08-08-2016, 1:45 PM
Brad,
Kettle Moraine Hardwoods does resawing. I don't know what they charge for you bringing in your own wood (or if they'll even do it), but it might be a place to start. They have locations in Caledonia and Slinger. I know they will straight line rip, plane and sand wood whether you buy it from them or not. They just charge a little more if you don't buy it from them.

Scott

Rich Riddle
08-08-2016, 1:48 PM
Doesn't master of bandsaws, Dave Kumm, live up there?

Brad Seubert
08-08-2016, 6:30 PM
Brad,
Kettle Moraine Hardwoods does resawing. I don't know what they charge for you bringing in your own wood (or if they'll even do it), but it might be a place to start. They have locations in Caledonia and Slinger. I know they will straight line rip, plane and sand wood whether you buy it from them or not. They just charge a little more if you don't buy it from them.

Scott

Thanks Scott. That was what I was planning on doing, but when I looked on their website today it said the max they can resaw is 8" I even called to verify since that seems really small for a lumber dealer, but thats what the lady that answered the phone said.

David Kumm
08-08-2016, 8:47 PM
I'm in central Wisconsin and happy to help if you can't find anyone closer. Would think there should be someone near milwaukee but PM me if you need me. Dave

Scott Brader
08-09-2016, 8:01 AM
Thanks Scott. That was what I was planning on doing, but when I looked on their website today it said the max they can resaw is 8" I even called to verify since that seems really small for a lumber dealer, but thats what the lady that answered the phone said.

I hadn't thought to check their capacity. I hope David or someone else can come through for you. I don't have any bandsaw, much less one large enough to handle your wood, or I'd be happy to give it a shot. Let us know how you end up solving this one!

Scott

Brad Seubert
08-09-2016, 8:46 AM
I'm in central Wisconsin and happy to help if you can't find anyone closer. Would think there should be someone near milwaukee but PM me if you need me. Dave

Thanks Dave, I'm originally from Central Wisconsin and will be up there again in a few weeks but I may not be able to wait that long. I have procrastinated to much already...I may just have to give up on the bookmatching and plane them down to 1/4". Would be a shame to waste all that nice wood though.

Scott Brader
08-09-2016, 8:53 AM
Brad,
Is there any chance you could rip the boards down to 8" and still make it work in your plan? Then you could use KM. Not having seen the wood, I don't know if that't really an option or if you would lose too much of the figure you are trying to show.

Scott

Bryan Lisowski
08-09-2016, 9:13 AM
If you really need this done quickly, you could resaw with a handsaw or using your table saw and handsaw. The first option would allow you plenty of wood to plane down to 1/4". The second option may not leave enough to for you to further mill.

Brad Seubert
08-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Brad,
Is there any chance you could rip the boards down to 8" and still make it work in your plan? Then you could use KM. Not having seen the wood, I don't know if that't really an option or if you would lose too much of the figure you are trying to show.
Scott

This is a good thought. I have 4 small panels that need to be 9" wide, but I was going to do those out of one piece so I could plane down a board for those panels. I have two larger panels in the front and the back that I wanted to bookmatch. Those panels are 14" wide so I could rip to 8" and have Kettle Moraine resaw those pieces.

If you really need this done quickly, you could resaw with a handsaw or using your table saw and handsaw. The first option would allow you plenty of wood to plane down to 1/4". The second option may not leave enough to for you to further mill.

I tried this over the weekend. I have a 10" tablesaw so I can get about 3.5" into each side which only leaves about 2" in the center to finish up. Unfortunately I don't have a handsaw up to that task. I'm open to buying one, if there is a handsaw that would handle this relatively easily....but not sure what to buy and don't want to spend a pile of money on something I may get limited use out of.

David Kumm
08-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Can you ship them to a relative in the area and have him bring them over? I'd resaw and run through the WB. Could do that in an evening. Dave

Geoff Crimmins
08-09-2016, 11:54 PM
If all else fails, it might be time to ask, "How would Roy Underhill do it?" :)

Bryan Lisowski
08-10-2016, 8:48 AM
This is a good thought. I have 4 small panels that need to be 9" wide, but I was going to do those out of one piece so I could plane down a board for those panels. I have two larger panels in the front and the back that I wanted to bookmatch. Those panels are 14" wide so I could rip to 8" and have Kettle Moraine resaw those pieces.

I tried this over the weekend. I have a 10" tablesaw so I can get about 3.5" into each side which only leaves about 2" in the center to finish up. Unfortunately I don't have a handsaw up to that task. I'm open to buying one, if there is a handsaw that would handle this relatively easily....but not sure what to buy and don't want to spend a pile of money on something I may get limited use out of.

i have done this with one of the saws you can get at the big box stores. You will have to clean up the boards with hand planes, or jointer and planer, so cut quality doesn't have to be the best.

Bob Leistner
08-11-2016, 12:05 AM
I have been using a Diablo D0724DR 7 1/4" Demo blade to score the wood as deep as it will.Then use a handsaw to finish the cut. The Diablo blade is .064", so it doesn't waste anywhere near as much wood as any 10" blade would.The Diablo blade is sold at Home Depot and they have a couple of hand saws available as well.I find myself using this saw blade quite often in my Unisaw because it is amazingly quiet and cuts quite well for alot of my needs. It is easier on the motor and dirt cheap to replace. Call me crazy but it works well.
Bob L.

Mike Roberts
08-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Your making an heirloom gift for your brother, so don't rush through a project just to get it done. Wrap up blanket with a picture of a blanket chest and take your time making a oncer in a lifetime gift.

Gregory Stahl
08-13-2016, 2:44 PM
I'm just south of Madison--bring them over and I'll saw and run them through the widebelt.

Greg Stahl

lowell holmes
08-13-2016, 5:35 PM
If you get a rip saw, it probably will do the job. If you have not used handsaw's before, practice runs would be advisable.

Try to find an older used saw that has been properly set up. If the teeth are not even on both sides,, it will drift on the cut.