PDA

View Full Version : Type 9 stanley no. 8 parts compatability

Clayton Lambert
08-07-2016, 8:16 PM
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a type nine Stanley #8 for a few bucks because theres a big chip on the back of the throat. I figured all the other parts one the plane were worth reusing if I could find a donor body to stick them onto. Question is, do I have to find a type 9 or could I use a type 8 or 7 etc? I read type 10 is when the adjustment screw on the frog comes into play, so that's out I guess.

Thanks!

Joe Bailey
08-07-2016, 9:30 PM
I think a type 10 would be fine

If I'm remembering correctly, the frog design prior to type 9 is completely different.
In the case of the 10 you would simply take the screw and plate off of the frog and install it.

Stew Denton
08-07-2016, 11:28 PM
Hi Clayton,

I agree with Joe. According to RexMill, the frog design is completely different on the type 9 than was the case with the type 8 (and type 7). The type 8 and type 9 frogs/bodies are not interchangeable.

I don't have any type 9s, so don't know if you can use a type 10, as Joe guessed above. Jim K. may have both and may chime in.

Stew

steven c newman
08-08-2016, 12:04 AM
IIRC, the frog adjust bolts came in during the type11. IF I can have my son go down to the shop for me...I have both a T-9 No.7c and a T-10 No. 6c. Main thing is the rib that goes through the face of the frog, and how thick it is.
A little dirty...No.6c, T-10..and
Before a clean up...No.7c, T-9

IF I can get them both upstairs, I can get better pictures of them.....not allowed to use stairs right now....

Jim Koepke
08-08-2016, 12:54 AM
Howdy Clayton,

There are differences between early and later type 9 planes. A picture of yours at the frog would be helpful in determining what you have.

Here is a short post of mine on the difference:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131234-Type-9-variations

These are not #8 planes but there are similar differences throughout the models. Often the early type 9 frogs will have a patent date on the lateral adjuster, a remnant from type 8 planes.

Later type 9 frogs should work on type 10 and later bases.

There may be some need to file the opening at the base of the frog a bit. This actually helps to position the frog. The early type 9 castings were designed to increase the yield in the casting process. The heavy area of metal to support the frog often caused distortions during the cooling of the plane base.

jtk