PDA

View Full Version : Flash Player

Jerry Thompson
08-05-2016, 4:05 PM
I updated Adobe Flash Player a few days ago. It seems every time I click on a site that uses FP I get the window telling my I have to update it in order to view the video.
It seems to me that the main objective is to get one to over look the checked boxes that will install Google Chrome and some other Google stuff. Am I paranoid or are they really after me?

Rich Enders
08-05-2016, 4:32 PM
Two Mac Book Pro's in this household and I have been asked 8 or more times this year to update Flash Player. I thought it was some mysterious problem I was having.

James Gunning
08-05-2016, 9:04 PM
Flash player supposedly is vulnerable to hackers. Probably much like other Adobe software that had similar flaws. I think that is the main reason for the updates. However, I get "updates" that never install because I uncheck the Google Chrome installation. After that the "update" stalls and never completes. So, you're not alone in your feelings. As time goes on we are going to be marketed to even more relentlessly than we are now. Companies like Microsoft feel invulnerable enough to do things like the forced Windows 10 install.

David Masters
08-05-2016, 9:17 PM
For the most part, I keep Flash blocked in my browsers due to the constant security and performance issues it has. The industry is driving toward HTML5 as a replacement for Flash, and even Adobe is de-emphasizing flash in favor of HTML5 in their development tools. I think it's funny that Flash updates are trying to install Chrome given that Google announced back in May they are dropping support for Flash in their Chrome browser.

Brian Elfert
08-06-2016, 12:03 AM
Although everyone keeps saying Flash is going away it is amazing the number of sites that still use it, mostly for advertising. I keep a lot of tabs open in Firefox. If my Flash Player crashes probably 50% of my tabs will have a warning about Flash Player crashed.

Curt Harms
08-06-2016, 8:08 AM
Although everyone keeps saying Flash is going away it is amazing the number of sites that still use it, mostly for advertising. I keep a lot of tabs open in Firefox. If my Flash Player crashes probably 50% of my tabs will have a warning about Flash Player crashed.

Do you have the flash plugin set to "Ask to activate"? Ubuntu's Firefox has that set by default. Dunno about Winders. Pages load faster if they don't have to download flash content. Flash has also been kept around for DRM purposes.

Jerry Thompson
08-06-2016, 9:11 AM
http://assets.amuniversal.com/dc88534035c90134934c005056a9545d

Brian Elfert
08-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Do you have the flash plugin set to "Ask to activate"? Ubuntu's Firefox has that set by default. Dunno about Winders. Pages load faster if they don't have to download flash content. Flash has also been kept around for DRM purposes.

I just let it run everywhere at this point. I have several sites for work and home stuff that require Flash to work.