PDA

View Full Version : Pear "Grenade Wood"

Dok Yager
08-04-2016, 9:50 PM
First try at some pear wood. Some folks said "grenade wood" but I`m stubborn so I went ahead and turned it. Yes it was Hard to do but I really like the "owls eyes" in the center from the two limbs. Coated it with tung oil & paint thinner mixed. Seems to work nicely even if it is a little less glossy.

robert baccus
08-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Really nice work and wood also. One of my fav. woods to cut when green especially.

Jamie Straw
08-05-2016, 12:10 AM
First try at some pear wood. Some folks said "grenade wood" but I`m stubborn so I went ahead and turned it. Yes it was Hard to do but I really like the "owls eyes" in the center from the two limbs. Coated it with tung oil & paint thinner mixed. Seems to work nicely even if it is a little less glossy.

Had to check out a thread about "grenade wood.":) The "owl's eyes" are really cool.

Jamie Straw
08-08-2016, 12:44 AM
Dok, I just finished the rough turning on this walnut bowl, and your pear bowl came to mind as I was sealing it. They might be cousins.:cool: Might end up with a walnut funnel, but it was fun.

Doug Rasmussen
08-08-2016, 2:03 PM
By "grenade wood", you mean it's hard and has a tendency to explode during turning?

This last weekend I was in Eastern Washington's pear growing country. I may take a return trip to see if I can pick up some pear wood.

Mark Greenbaum
08-08-2016, 4:13 PM
Bradford pear is one of all time favorite woods to turn. It is very common around here as a decorative, and is prone to splitting during storms. You either love them or hate them. One trunk section I've turned had quilt on every piece due to the multiple trunks emanating from the base. Great spaghetti thrown while turning green.