PDA

View Full Version : Two nice big ones

Bob Bergstrom
08-04-2016, 7:33 PM
I roughed these ash bowls out about a year ago. The tree was a victim of the Ash bore beetle and not real wet. The log was 28" in diameter and the pith was dead center. I have a client which has big family gatherings and also owns a ice cream/Italian Ice stand. The market for large bowls is slim and I really like his products. I will trade him a bowl if he fills the other with frozen treats. How can he pass that up. Smaller one is about 2i" across and 4" deep. The one on the left is 22" across and 5" deep. No finish on either. Key fob is for reference.

Thomas Canfield
08-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Those will surely hold more than what I can put on my ice cream cone. NICE. Like the bead detail and grain pattern, even the little bit of pith color.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2016, 7:52 AM
Very nice, Bob! I really like the grain in ash, especially if one can get a crotch piece. Too bad about those emerald ash borers...they are in our area also, and many trees are having to come down because of it. I have some ash in log sections I need to get to. I am sure it is full of holes. The neighbor cut it down about 18 months ago, and there is another between our houses that will likely have to come down in the next year or two.

Bob Bergstrom
08-05-2016, 8:43 AM
Those will surely hold more than what I can put on my ice cream cone. NICE. Like the bead detail and grain pattern, even the little bit of pith color.

Thanks Roger. This tree was a very fast grower which is seen in the wide growth rings. I have some from another ash tree which are much tighter and the wood is more brown. If there are holes in your ash logs, it won't be from the ash bore., they only eat the cadmium layer which leaves a series of lines just under the bark. Then they flay away to lay eggs on another live tree.

Roger Chandler
08-05-2016, 9:04 AM
Information about the borer I did not know......thanks Bob. I will say that the pieces of that ash I did turn had holes the diameter of pencil in some of it. I made a vase with pedestal for my neighbor out of it, and it had holes.....not quite as many as swiss cheese, but looked a bit like that. They loved it, since it came from their tree. Wonder what made those holes?

David Delo
08-05-2016, 10:12 AM
and the pith was dead center.

That alone is worth the price of admission! Nice work Bob. I too really like ash because you can or have many different options for embellishment open to you or just leave it plain. Only thing I don't care for is that it's has a little bit of a funky smell to it. Doesn't stink bad to me but certainly would never confuse it with the aroma of cherry.

Bob Bergstrom
08-05-2016, 10:08 PM
That alone is worth the price of admission! Nice work Bob. I too really like ash because you can or have many different options for embellishment open to you or just leave it plain. Only thing I don't care for is that it's has a little bit of a funky smell to it. Doesn't stink bad to me but certainly would never confuse it with the aroma of cherry.

yes I have dye it, burned and wire brushed it and filled the grain. It is a ring pours wood. There are enough varieties that have did decent characteristics. This had no Oder to it, but the outside chipped on the side grain. I used a cabinet scraper to clean it up. The inside turned easily.