PDA

View Full Version : Random orbital sanders with effective dust control?

Fitzhugh Freeman
08-04-2016, 4:50 PM
I'm looking for advice on ROS and related beasts that have good dust control. Festool and such are entirely out of the budget - this is for a non-profit community space with very little money. I never sand inside, just use my ancient dust port-less sander outside with a mask on the very rare cases where I need a power sander. However, users want sanders at the shop.

Any advice?

We've got a shop vac and a delta 50-850 dust collector - I assume I'll make a downdraft surface to attach to the delta and attach the sander to the shop vac?

Thanks!

Mike Chalmers
08-04-2016, 6:35 PM
I use a Bosch ROS65VC-6 with a 2.5hp shop vac which has a Dust Deputy in the line. Works very well. Very little dust escapes except when sanding things smaller than 6" (then I use my DeWalt 5").

David Helm
08-04-2016, 6:38 PM
My aging 5 inch P-C model 334 has a dust port that, when wrapped once with duct tape, exactly fits the smaller hose on my Shop-Vac. Don't ever have problems with flying dust.

Bruce Page
08-04-2016, 6:47 PM
I have a Festool sander that has excellent dust control but I also have couple of Porter Cable 333VS that also have excellent dust control when hooked up to my Fein T3. Not as good as the Festool but close.

Geoff Crimmins
08-04-2016, 6:56 PM
I expect that most any ROS will have good dust control when hooked up to a good shop vacuum. I have a Festool Mini dust extractor that I've been using with a cheap Dewalt ROS, and dust doesn't seem to be a problem.

Jim Dwight
08-04-2016, 8:51 PM
I agree with Geoff, both my DeWalt 5 inch and 6 inch send most of their dust, nearly all of it, down my shop vac hose (Bosch 5 meter). The Milwaukee I had before that worked well too. Festools are probably better but not enough to justify their price to me. I do want to try one with their aggressive mode. There is a Bosch that has it but it is $250 or so, still half the Festool models but pricey to me for a sander. But just to get dust collection, that is essentially any of them.

Robert Parent
08-05-2016, 7:27 AM
I have a Bosch 5 inch variable speed which well even with the vac running at half speed. I have also used a Rigid 5 inch which also worked well.

Robert

Tim McCarthy
08-06-2016, 1:54 PM
I purchased a Ridgid 6" ROS about two years ago. With it's little dust bag I was quite amazed at the amount it picked up. I recently discovered that with the bag removed it accepts a 2 1/4" hose from a shop vac. The hose fits very snug and although I haven't tried it I can only assume that it would be nothing short of outstanding! Quite a nice sander that I'm very happy with.