PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Table Saw Storage

Dale Critchlow
06-14-2003, 8:31 PM
I am rebuilding my shop this summer and plan to store my table saw in our carport for a few weeks. It will be out of the rain but the wind does blow through the carport. We live in Vermont so we get rain every week or so.

I plan to give the top a good coat of wax. Will this be enough to protect it?

Also, I assume it is a good idea to cover it with a piece of plastic sheeting.

Advice would be appreciated.

Dale

Kevin Gerstenecker
06-14-2003, 9:11 PM
Dale, the coat of wax may be adequate to protect the top, but Cast Iron will rust quickly if exposed to minimal moisture. I think I would coat any exposed bare metal or cast with oil, and make sure it is wrapped up good and tight. Maybe some 4 or 6 mil Polyethelene sheeting and an inexpensive plastic tarp over that. Any moisture or humidity that it is exposed to will be somewhat trapped by the plastic or tarp, so protecting the bare metal surfaces will be very important. The oil may not be too pleasant to remove later, but it sure beats trying to remove rust. Just my 2 cents worth, I hope everything turns out for the best. :)

Chad Pater
06-14-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Gersty
I think I would coat any exposed bare metal or cast with oil, and make sure it is wrapped up good and tight. Maybe some 4 or 6 mil Polyethelene sheeting and an inexpensive plastic tarp over that. Any moisture or humidity that it is exposed to will be somewhat trapped by the plastic or tarp, so protecting the bare metal surfaces will be very important.

Good advice....unless you've been eyeing a new Unisaw, then I'd leave the old in the rain and tell the wife it's time to trade up;)

Jason Roehl
06-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Instead of wrapping with plastic, how about boxing it up with some OSB or ply? That way it's protected from the elements and moisture isn't trapped underneath. I think your saw would be better off uncovered than wrapped in plastic. I once stored my shotgun fully enclosed in a soft case--only to have it rust slightly within a month. Since then, I now leave it unzipped 6" or so and have had no problems.

Canvas might be another option. It'll keep the water off, but allow it to breathe.

Dan McGuire
06-15-2003, 8:32 AM
I agree with Jason, you should stay away from the plastic. If the saw is not going to be directly rained on, I would cover it with a canvass tarp instead of plastic, that way the saw can breath. I would also ensure that all of the dust is removed from the saw as that will act as a mositure wick. My saw is kept in my garage shop which is unheated and subjected to temp swings and prone to rust if I am not careful to take steps to prevent. I keep a canvass tarp over it when not in use. Just my penny's worth of opinion.

Dan

Steve Clardy
06-15-2003, 1:16 PM
I have a HUGE old rolltop desk my Grandfather had, then my Dad had. I got it two years ago. Dad had it stored in an old truck van body, covered in plastic. The moisture got trapped under the plastic. It lifted almost all of the veneer. Totaled it out I tell you. Now I will have to completely disassemble and re-veneer all the panels. If I ever get around to it. It almost went to the outback dump when I went to move it home. But-------------couldn't do that.
Steve

Dan Barber
06-15-2003, 1:37 PM
Try using LPS 3 Heavy-Duty Inhibitor, a heavy duty rust preventative. I've used it on machinery shipped overseas as well as those shipped across the Rockies in the fall and spring. These are terrible conditions for moisture accumulation due to huge humidity swings.

This product has worked very well for me in those situations. It's available from Enco and I think Grainger has it as well.

Here's a link to the Enco catalog page:
LPS 3 (http://www.use-enco.com/pdfs/741.PDF)

I'd also avoid the plastic in an air tight application. If you must use it, be sure to space it well away from the tool and allow for plenty of air circulation. Canvas or some other breathable material is best.

An added precaution would be to have small lamp installed inside the saw in a safe manor, the heat from the bulb may be just enough to prevent the condensation from forming on the metal surfaces.

Good Luck,

Dan

Dale Critchlow
06-15-2003, 8:19 PM
Lots of good advice as usual.

I guess I will go with several coats of wax on the top and oil on the other bare surfaces, a cloth tarp to cover it and a small light bulb inside to keep the saw warmer than the outside air. I will check it once in a while to see if problems are developing. It seems like it would be a good idea to uncover it on nice days and/or put it in a sunny place to make sure the moisture in the air doesn't condense on it.

Also, I may need to uncover the saw and use it for some ripping, etc. Otherwise I would consider boxing it up as someone suggested. Putting a desiccant in the box would help as well.

Thanks,

Dale

Tom Gattiker
06-17-2003, 11:12 AM
...is another good rust inhibiting product (a spray). Highland hardware has it and probably the other vendors as well.

Paul Held
06-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Dale,

I agree about avoiding the plastic. A tarp and wax should hold you over through the Summer. I live in the New North end of Burlington myself so if you want to box it right up you can use my saw to cut wood if you need to. Paul