PDA

View Full Version : Can I get TS smooth cuts with a TriMaster?

Gary Herrmann
09-26-2005, 8:04 PM
I'm going to make a table for my wife with tapered legs. I plan to use my MM16 for this. At this time, the only BS blades I have are the ones that came with it.

I've got the saw dialed in pretty well for drift. Over 24", I can split a pencil line using the fence. But the cut is much more rough than my TS.

I may not be able to get TS smooth, but I'd like to get significantly smoother than this. I'm willing to pony up for a TriMaster, but I wanted to ask those of you that have one how your cuts compare to those of your TS in terms of smoothness. Or is it even the carbide blade? Is it a function of the tooth pattern? Both? Would a narrower (thus thinner) blade leave a smoother surface?

I'm thinking a 1" blade would probably result in the smoothest surface, plus would be good for resawing. I'll pick up a good narrow blade for curves once I have a project that warrants it.

As always, your input is greatly appreciated.

Jim Becker
09-26-2005, 8:25 PM
Yea...you can in my experience. I was blown away with the cut quality of the TriMaster on my MM16. Best results are when you do just like you would with the TS...use hold-downs and feather boards along with the fence to keep the material moving smoothly without variation in its path.

Do remember the 1" blade is for straight cuts only... ;) I plan on picking up the more nimble 1/2" version once I use up my stock of 1/2" blades for general cutting, too. (I will still use the 1/2" Timberwolf AS for wet wood/turning blank work)

Sam Blasco
09-26-2005, 8:36 PM
Definitely. I'm on my second Tri-Master. But, you still should get clean enough cuts with a standard blade that a light pass on a jointer should take care of it. A step I recommend no matter what blade you use, or which type of saw you choose. But to your question, the cut quality is quite nice compared to a standard steel blade.

Mike Cutler
09-26-2005, 8:37 PM
Gary. I believe that you can get really close too a TS finish. You have a high quality bandsaw, and it would be a shame not to use high quality blades and maximize it's value.
I have a Tri Master 1", 2-3 varipitch blade, and a Lennox Bi-Metal 1", 2-3 varipitch on a Rikon 18". The Bi-metal yields a very nice cut, but the Tri-Master is better. On my saw there are still fine lines that need to be sanded, but this is strictly a resaw blade and setup. You may be looking for a finer toothed blade.
The feed rate has to be consistent, any stopping and I can see the effects.
I think you may want to consider the 3/4" version. The diameter of your wheels may be a factor in blade fatique life, but I'm speaking in ignorance here, since I don't own a 16". Hopefully someone with the same saw will be able to speak more specifically.

Gary Herrmann
09-26-2005, 8:42 PM
Thanks guys. Any recommendations as to a good source - price, but also to ensure they're using the new softer back on the TriMasters?

Sam Blasco
09-26-2005, 8:52 PM
You can get them through MM, or Iturra, or Industrial Blade, to name a few. My 1st TriMaster lasted two years, and it wasn't the new backing formulation. They didn't recommend it for my 16" wheels, but it dulled before it fatigued. My next one supposedly was the new backing, but I can't see a difference. Make sure and de-tension every night and you shouldn't have a problem. Blade manufacturers are probably covering their butts, but even if you get a year out of it, it is still lasts 15 times a standard blade, with a much better cut.

Mike Cutler
09-26-2005, 9:05 PM
Gary. I bought mine from Cyber Woodworking.
Here is the url http://www.toolcenter.com/Lenox/woodworking-cut-to-length.htm

They don't seem to have a stocked blade in your size though. I also remember Mark Singer posting a place that was a good source for Tri Masters, hopefully he'll respond.

Gary Herrmann
09-26-2005, 9:41 PM
Thanks again guys. I'm going to call a couple places tomorrow to get prices. I think I'll go with the 2/3 pitch. Not sure if the 3/4 pitch would offer smoother non resawing cuts.

Alan Turner
09-26-2005, 9:52 PM
Call Louis Iturra and discuss this with him. I have an Aggi 20, with a 161" Lennox carbide, 3-4 tooth, and get a very good cut. $170 + shipping. A 1/32" setting on the jointer and it is clean.

But, the max resaw recommended for the 3-4 is about 10"; Iturra recommends a 2-3 for wider resawing, but says that the quality of cut will suffer a bit. I will get the 2-3 for my new big guy, as soon as the mortgage is approved (19.5') since it has a 25" resaw capacity. HOw often I go over 10 or 12" I don't know, but I am sure I can't afford a fleet of blades.

You will find Iturra helpful, and incredibily knowledgable. The decision will probably come down to what you will be resawing in terms of height.

nic obie
09-26-2005, 9:55 PM
Hi Gary,

Try carbide.com I seem to buy from them alot. Good prices and GREAT specials.

I am not connected to them in any way.

Gary Herrmann
09-27-2005, 1:31 PM
FYI, I decided to go with the Lennox TriMaster, 1" 3/4 pitch, rather than 2/3 - smoother rip cuts, altho a slower feedrate for resawing - which isn't a problem for me. Louis Iturra got on the phone and gave me some guidance. Excellent customer service.