PDA

View Full Version : Help with jointer repair

Scott Cenicola
08-03-2016, 6:58 PM
I am in the finishing stages of tuning up my Delta 37-190 jointer. I just noticed that the block that holds the set screw to the infeed table is cracked. I have been unable to find the part in stock anywhere. I tried super glue out of desperation today (lol), but you know how that went. I'm not sure what to do. Can I get that piece welded? Or fabricate a wood replacement? I do have a nice 8" jointer qued up on the Grizzly site, but I don't think it's in the cards. Im hoping there is a solution out there. I'm ok with wood, but a terrible mechanic. Thanks in advance

Matt Day
08-03-2016, 7:50 PM
Could you give us some more detailed information? Link to a schematic and part number? Pictures?

Mike Heidrick
08-03-2016, 7:59 PM
Take it off and take it to a machinist.

Scott Cenicola
08-03-2016, 9:04 PM
Sorry, been trying to upload the pics all night. I'll keep trying. Its part # 52. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-37190-type-jointer-parts-c-3275_7655_13888.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwrIa9BRD5_dvqqaz MrFESJACdv27GayHB3cgCb4f6F3uQ3jAohhUyryu_rUSTcNf3Y 43tjBoC7qLw_wcB

John TenEyck
08-03-2016, 10:15 PM
Looks like something you could make yourself from a piece of bar stock. If not, do as Mike said and take the old part to a machinist.

John

John T Barker
08-04-2016, 8:00 AM
Take it off and take it to a machinist.

Ditto on that. A small shop would probably do that or let one of their people side job it.

Matt Day
08-04-2016, 8:05 AM
Ditto on that. A small shop would probably do that or let one of their people side job it.

agreed.....

Scott Cenicola
08-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the advice, off to the machine shop I go.

Scott Cenicola
08-04-2016, 12:47 PM
That was quick! 20 bux to weld it. He said it was cast iron, so it may not hold. Hope it works

Garth Almgren
08-04-2016, 1:57 PM
That was quick! 20 bux to weld it. He said it was cast iron, so it may not hold. Hope it works
From my vast experience of watching YouTube videos, you usually want to pre-heat cast iron if you want the weld to last.
Lincoln has something to say about it too: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/welding-cast-iron-detail.aspx

Charles Lent
08-04-2016, 5:34 PM
There are high nickel content welding rods made especially for welding cast iron. If the piece is very large, pre-heat is a good idea, but a small part welded with one of these rods will not require pre-heating, but a slowed cool down is a good idea. I usually just wrap the part in fiberglass insulation immediately after welding, come back in a few hours and take it out of the insulation. These rods are expensive when compared to 6011, 7018 or other common rods at about $3.00 each, but I doubt that more than an inch of rod was used to weld that part, so probably about $0.60 worth and 10 minutes labor for the welder, including set up.

It actually wouldn't take a machine shop that long to make that part from steel for you, but the cost will be much more than the welding. Even if you go this way, I think it's worth doing instead of scraping your planer.

Charley

Scott Cenicola
08-05-2016, 4:38 PM
I installed it and it held up through a few test runs. Hopefully it stands the test of time