PDA

View Full Version : What top coat for wooden jewelry

Christopher Priest
08-03-2016, 1:46 PM
I make custom wood pendants and other wood jewelry. I have been playing around with a few finishes but would lie to now what product is best for jewelry. Specifically I am looking for something that will withstand the heat and UV from the sun. I have been using a spray lacquer by minwax with good results. Just not sure how long this will last with time. Here is an example of what I'm using it for.341893341894341895

Wayne Lomman
08-04-2016, 7:38 AM
Christopher, if the spray lacquer is giving you the results you want, stay with it but include care instructions with each piece such as periodic polishing with a wax as an example. There was a time when polishing the timber work was a routine household task.You could include these instructions as part of a certificate of authenticity and even sell the polish/wax. Including ongoing care instructions actually gives customers confidence that they are buying something lasting and worthwhile. Excellent work, by the way, I wish my eyesight was still up to that kind of work. Cheers

Joe Kieve
08-04-2016, 7:52 AM
A lot of pen makers use CA glue (super glue) to finish their pens and it's a pretty tough durable finish. Not sure how you would apply to your jewelry, maybe wipe it on with a blue shop paper towel. That's how I apply it to pens, but it's spinning. Experiment, you may find you like it.