PDA

View Full Version : A few sharpening questions

Jay Jolliffe
08-02-2016, 2:19 PM
Does anyone sharpen their own forstner bits if so how do you do it. Does anyone have a drill doctor to sharpen twist drills. If so are you happy with it...

Tony Leonard
08-02-2016, 2:27 PM
I have a Drill Doctor (clearance at Lowes) and I do like it. I don't use it that much, but it works well. I wish mine would sharpen the real small diameter bits, but oh well.

I sharpen my Forstner bits using small diamond paddles. I clamp the bit in a vice, darken all the surfaces to be sharpened with a Sharpie, then go at it with the diamond paddles. I usually start with fine and finish with super fine (whatever those are?). Works well. There have been some articles in the woodworking rags on the subject that explain it pretty well. I don't remove much metal - really just polishing.

Tony

Robert Engel
08-02-2016, 2:31 PM
Use the same file as for sharpening auger bits.

Luke Dupont
08-02-2016, 2:34 PM
I have a Drill Doctor (clearance at Lowes) and I do like it. I don't use it that much, but it works well. I wish mine would sharpen the real small diameter bits, but oh well.

I sharpen my Forstner bits using small diamond paddles. I clamp the bit in a vice, darken all the surfaces to be sharpened with a Sharpie, then go at it with the diamond paddles. I usually start with fine and finish with super fine (whatever those are?). Works well. There have been some articles in the woodworking rags on the subject that explain it pretty well. I don't remove much metal - really just polishing.

Tony

I second the suggestion for diamond paddles.

I haven't sharpened a forstner bit specifically, but I've sharpened a number of auger bits, hand tools of all types, and every day items. A file for auger bits or even any fine cut file might work as well, but you'll get a finer edge from the diamond paddles. I'd go with a coarse and a fine - though, I think they probably come in sets for cheap.

The plus is, you can use them to sharpen all kinds of other small tools in the shop as well.