PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at inlay

Mike Walsh
08-02-2016, 1:03 PM
We had an old red oak coffee table in the basement that was being "donated" to my daughter's boyfriend to help furnish a new apartment. The top was pretty beat up and had a large crack down the center. While in the process of cleaning up the top, an article on inlay on FWW.com caught my eye. I'd never done any inlay work before, but after checking out a few videos thought it was doable and might add some "character" to the table. The recipient and his 2 roommates are recent grads of Union College - logo is a red "U" in block form, so I gave it a shot. Picked up a piece of bloodwood from Woodcraft that I resawed and planed to just under 1/8" thick, then put the "U" together from 7 pieces. After a little clean up I double-stick taped the "U" to the top and traced with a marking knife. Most of the material was removed from the top with a Festool router, then finished with a router plane and chisels. Had one small mishap in the lower left with the router, that has since been fixed with epoxy.

Overall I think it came out ok for a first try at inlay, and think the guys will get a kick out of it in their new place

Stew Hagerty
08-02-2016, 1:48 PM
I bet they are going to love it Mike. Nice job on your first inlay. I know it goes without saying that you learned a lot. Mishaps (I call them Oops's) happen. You fixed it, it's done, no sweat. Have a cold beverage and enjoy the feeling.

mike holden
08-02-2016, 4:59 PM
Nicely Done!

Mike

Brian Tymchak
08-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Excellent! Nice way to reclaim a piece of furniture!