PDA

View Full Version : Cracked cutting board.

Ellery Becnel
08-02-2016, 12:55 PM
My sister just texted me that her son, who is severely autistic threw her end grain cutting board. It cracked in two pieces. My glue lines held up well. What would be the best adhesive for a repair, if any.
She is devastated. She used it every day. I don't think she has used much mineral oil on it. I have told her she needs to re-oil it. That might have help here.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ellery Becnel

glenn bradley
08-02-2016, 1:00 PM
I use Titebond III. What did you use when you made it? She needs to oil it proportional to her use frequency.

Ellery Becnel
08-02-2016, 1:36 PM
I always use Titebond II. She knows to oil it. I have been reminding people about oiling their boards. I do not know why they just will not. I give a copy of care instructions with every board. No excuses.

Nick Nelson
08-02-2016, 8:27 PM
I would use use the same glue you built it with.

Ellery Becnel
08-02-2016, 10:25 PM
Thank you. When I pick it up I will see if it is repairable.

Keith Westfall
08-02-2016, 11:58 PM
If it's a back break, (unglueabe) you may be able to joint it off to a good surface again to glue it. May lose a bit but maybe not enough to scrap it.

Good luck, and post pictures...

Lee Schierer
08-03-2016, 7:27 AM
I would clean the exposed surfaces that are to be glued with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner and glue them with the same glue you used to make the board. Take care to insure the surfaces are aligned while you clamp the board up.

Ellery Becnel
08-03-2016, 9:15 AM
Thats what I was thinking Lee. I just was not sure since it may have some mineral oil present. Looking at the picture she sent me, it might be a challenge.
Always up for a challenge, just not a fight.