PDA

View Full Version : LV Skew Rabbet Nicker Alignment?

Christopher Charles
08-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Hello all,

After resisting multiple free shippings, I finally sprung for the LV skew rabbet plane. Was on back order for a while and have just been able to get it out of the box. I've been having trouble getting good cross-grain results, with lots of tear out. Or at best substantial 'fuzz' after lots of fiddling. I'm scoring by pulling backwards prior to cutting, have tried taking shallow cuts, and have pushed the blade in far enough that the shoulder is not cutting vertically.

After considerable investigation and trial and error, I've noticed the nicker on mine is not flush with the side of the plane, and rather is sitting low/inside. Don't have calipers or feelers, but the gap is the thickness of two business cards. I suspect this is the issue, as I've aligned and realigned the lateral setting of the blade to get it just where it belongs (protruding laterally just a wee bit). I figure that by scoring inside of the corner of the blade (under the plane), the blade is then lifting fibers on the wrong side of the scoring line. Can post pictures later.

In the meantime, could anyone with the plane check to see if there is an offset between the nicker and lateral face of the plane?

Many thanks,
Chris

Normand Leblanc
08-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Hi,
The nicker projection can be adjusted. There is a screw (for a flat screwdriver) on the other side of the plane for this. Unscrew it and adjust.

Normand

Patrick Chase
08-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Hi,
The nicker projection can be adjusted. There is a screw (for a flat screwdriver) on the other side of the plane for this. Unscrew it and adjust.

Normand

This is exactly right. The projection is similarly adjustable. Also, I found that the knickers on mine were more effective after lapping their faces on a polishing stone.

Christopher Charles
08-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Thanks to you both. I had found that screw for setting the nicker depth, but had not sorted that it also adjusts lateral position. I'll try that and report back.

Christopher Charles
08-01-2016, 11:26 PM
Ah, I found it. And, who knew, while hidden, it is illustrated clearly right there in the directions!