PDA

View Full Version : Spraying LATEX PAINT

Sammy Shuford
09-26-2005, 3:54 PM
This post is to pass on some things I have learned about spraying Latex with a LVHP gun. I’m a new gun owner and still learning.

First off, I will still roll or brush household walls and ceilings. But for small projects spraying can work.

I am refinishing a painted bookcase. Not something easy to roll or brush. Spraying inside corners has got to be easier than brushing. I suggested pigmented lacquer, but my wide wanted it color matched to the wall perfect. So the same paint was bought in flat.

My gun is a Wagner HVLP Conversion unit, feed with my air compressor.

The Wagner HVLP gun has a pressurized cup, and is not siphon feed. In fact, I can disconnect the air hose, and still “spray” a stream of fluid for many seconds. This give this unit an advantage over a siphon feed gun. Paint is fed to the nozzle under pressure, and not drawn by a vacuum. This is a GREAT ADVANTAGE with thicker materials such as latex paint.

With some trial and error, I can thin flat latex with 6oz water to 32oz paint, and it sprays really nicely. I sprayed 3 coats on a primed test piece, and it looked great. No defects in the spray, and as far as I can tell, complete atomization. I have sprayed polycrylic on top and my test piece looks fine so far.

I expect some “why for” and some “how come” replies. That’s OK. Just wanted to share what I have discovered so far.

Sammy Shuford
09-26-2005, 3:55 PM
Very well. With your permission, let's put this on the board so all can see. I'm never afraid of mistakes, I learn from them. You can disconnect a conversion HVLP and it will spray a stream without atomizing. That's what I love about cleaning the gun. Like I said,I know little about the Wagner guns, I usually spend a lot more for the professionl guns. I probably could get away with a lesser gun sometimes. I'm glad it works for you. But, to think I'll recoat a room five times ain't gonna happen :D And, by and large, a HVLP isn't the way to spray latex. Keep experimenting though. That's the way R&D started :rolleyes:

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Sammy Shuford
Good Morning Phil.
I will try to say this without offending you! Please don't be.

The Wagner HVLP gun has a pressurized cup, and is not siphon feed. In fact, I can disconnect the air hose, and still spray? a stream of fluid for many seconds.

With some trial and error, I can thin flat latex 6oz to 32oz, and it sprays really nicely. Just sprayed polycrylic on top and my test peice looks fine.

The ONLY reason for doing it this way, my wife INSIST that this bookcase color match the wall. And this is a re-finish job, so I have to spray it assembled!

Just now learning my gun, and with this bookcase, I had rather spray 6 coats then try to brush/roll all these corners!

Thanks!
Sam in Summerville:)

"Latex in any siphon gun is not a good idea. You'll have to thin the paint about fifty percent and that really breaks down the product. You'll have to spray several coats to equal what you could roll on. An airless is what is needed to spray latex paint"
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Jim Becker
09-26-2005, 7:25 PM
Did I miss something??
------
OK, strike that...you were referring to another thread. (Usually best to keep things together for context... ;) )

Phil Phelps
09-27-2005, 3:20 PM
Did I miss something??
------
OK, strike that...you were referring to another thread. (Usually best to keep things together for context... ;) )
Sammy e-mailed me to tell me what he posted above. I told him to post it, I have no problem with it. He just failed to put my name on the quote. And yes Jim, the Wagner is a pressurized gun, as is the "conversion" gun. I told Sam that's one thing I love about the HVLP is the cleaning without the spray. And I'm pickeled tink that he sprayed the latex and it worked for him. I know. I've been spraying latex paint through a siphon gun since 1964, and a HVLP since I got it in 1988. I'll still stand by what I know. You have to thin the #$%&@ out of it and it breaks down the product. I used to do Sears signs for seven states. I would use about six to ten ounces from a quart of paint at the rate of 50 quarts of different color for every job. I know what the stuff does. You can do small jobs and so forth, just don't think you're going to paint the house with great success. People have the wrong idea about a HVLP gun. You still have to reduce your material to spray, you still have overspray, and you'd be better off with an exhaust system if you have the room. If you are going to spray in the driveway, you can use a $30 spray gun and have great success.

Jim Becker
09-27-2005, 3:27 PM
Phil, I don't prefer to spray Latex with my gun, either, even though it "can" be done. I never "recommend" it either. Latex doesn't like to be thinned, as you know being a pro, so you get to where there are too many compromises. (I always get a chuckle at the spray jobs in many developments where the painters seem to have used colored water on the drywall... :eek: ) If I really want to spray color, I'll opt for Fuhr 9100 or Target's USL tinted as appropriate. They spray wonderfully with my Wagner gun with zero thinning.

Chris Fite
09-29-2005, 6:20 PM
Having sprayed latex successfully for many years, I am disheartened to hear so many stories of problems with latex. I rarely have to thin as much as 3 ounces per quart, usually just 1.5 ounces. I use an HVLP rig: Eaglespray compressor with an Accuspray siphon gun. This dates from about 1990. With the correct tip and needle, it sprays lacquer and other thin finishes. I have sprayed latex on furniture and houses without problems. I have actually painted houses without a brush or a roller. I do prefer to use a roller indoors because it is quieter.

Anyhow, I have found the HVLP to be a good all around spray rig.

John Cavanaugh
10-01-2005, 3:00 AM
I have the Wagner HVLP gun (purchased it based on all the recommendations here).

I did some some thinning with water & added some floetrol but it still seemed to need to be quite watery berfore it would spray.

What needle are you guys using for latex?? Maybe Im using the wrong one.

Does anyone have any times based on a viscosity cup??

--
John Cavanaugh

Phil Phelps
10-01-2005, 5:57 PM
Having sprayed latex successfully for many years, I am disheartened to hear so many stories of problems with latex. I rarely have to thin as much as 3 ounces per quart, usually just 1.5 ounces. I use an HVLP rig: Eaglespray compressor with an Accuspray siphon gun. This dates from about 1990. With the correct tip and needle, it sprays lacquer and other thin finishes. I have sprayed latex on furniture and houses without problems. I have actually painted houses without a brush or a roller. I do prefer to use a roller indoors because it is quieter.

Anyhow, I have found the HVLP to be a good all around spray rig.

Chris, I believe you have had some success in what you say. As I've said, I've sprayed it for years, but don't recommend it for the reasons I have stated. Let me put it this way. If I hired someone to paint my house and they showed up with a HVLP and latex paint, the driveway is as far as I'd let him in.