PDA

View Full Version : Union X Adjusters

Steve Kang
08-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Hello,

Can anyone comment on the feel of Union X pattern depth adjusters vs. those in the traditional vertical orientation? I'm looking to pick up a new jack and have been debating going with a Union, though not if it's at the expense of feel and work "flow".

Cheers,

SK

don wilwol
08-02-2016, 5:41 AM
Its obviouslya completely different feel and since there are two nuts, it takes a little longer. The slop you sometime see in Stanley is not there so that X is a little more precise.

liam c murphy
08-03-2016, 8:37 AM
I have a 5x. I've grown accustomed to the typical Stanley depth adjuster. Adjustment on the 5x feel like it takes much longer in comparison. Generally, I like the plane, and would not considering getting rid of it.

Steve Kang
08-03-2016, 10:46 PM
I have a 5x. I've grown accustomed to the typical Stanley depth adjuster. Adjustment on the 5x feel like it takes much longer in comparison. Generally, I like the plane, and would not considering getting rid of it.

Thanks for sharing Liam. Can I ask why the X adjustment takes a little longer? I was under the impression that it's just a matter of a lateral motion instead of a vertical motion made by the index finger.

liam c murphy
08-03-2016, 11:54 PM
You have to adjust two nuts instead of one. It's not a big deal, but it is different. I like the lines of the Union planes better than the Stanleys. I got mine rust free about 5 years ago for a good price.

Glen Canaday
08-05-2016, 9:22 PM
It is like adjusting a #12 (and the rest of that family) scraper.

You loosen one knob and get it out of the way, adjust the other that will be pushing on the yoke in the direction you want it, then snug up the first one again. It is different, but it is rock solid.

The downside is that adjustment on the fly takes much more effort.