PDA

View Full Version : Fume extractor filter help for laser machine

Angela Smith
08-01-2016, 8:06 PM
I bought my Universal laser in Jan 2016 and have been running it about 40 hours per week cutting mostly 1/8" baltic birch, occasionally cutting acrylic (about 50 hours total since purchase) and about 10 hours max per week cutting 1/4" baltic birch. I have a 3 tier Purex Fume Extraction system and getting an outside blower is not an option. I am pretty certain I need to replace at least one filter but I cannot figure out which one. My gas sensor goes up when I cut 1/4" birch but then goes back down when I stop. My filter also seems to not be drawing the smoke out as effectively as it once did. I read the manual multiple times and cannot figure out how to determine which of the three filters needs to be replaced. The tech support where I purchased laser says all their customers use a blower and they are uncertain. Any expertise out there to help me figure this out for myself? Any help greatly appreciated.

Gary Hair
08-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Perhaps this will help?
http://www.purex.co.uk/support/

There is a section in the manual regarding consumables, you might find your answer there.

Angela Smith
08-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Thank you. Yes, I read manual through and through. I did just fill out a support ticket. I see the sensors and filter indicators but don't know what to look for when determining when a filter needs to be replaced. Curious if anyone else uses this system.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-02-2016, 6:26 PM
Maybe Jorlink can help? They sell Purex products on their site. http://www.jorlink.com

Angela Smith
08-06-2016, 4:48 PM
Here is an update.....I have a Purex 800i and I signed up for tech support from Purex UK. I could not find any help based in USA because they are a UK company. The company I bought the laser from is great for lasers but not so knowledgeable about fume extraction systems that don't vent outside. A tech support person based in USA called me and talked me through the issues. Basically, I am getting a false gas sensor reading we believer because we do not smell any fumes. I am replacing that part. Also, since we originally had a Purex 400i, our electrical was set up accordingly with a 15 amp outlet. The laser company swapped out my faulty 400i with the 800i for no additional cost but no one mentioned that I would need 20 amp outlets and breakers....thus my power strip kept tripping. FYI, power strips can't handle more than 15 amps anyway. Plus, the plug on the end of the cord was 15 amp and it needed to be 20 amp. An electrician fixed everything right away and I will replace faulty sensor next week.

Bert Kemp
08-07-2016, 4:57 PM
excellent glad your getting it worked out thanks for the report.

Tayler Scott
08-09-2016, 11:59 AM
have you pulled out the smallest filter and checked it that would be the first one to go. See if its covered in sap.