PDA

View Full Version : How to protect yourself when purchasing a laser from China

Don Nguyen
08-01-2016, 2:41 PM
Most people's concerns when purchasing a machine from China is probably how can they be certain that they will be receiving the machine they ordered or receiving anything all, after the money has been sent.

Just from what I have gathered, there looks to be several ways to either purchase the machine or send as form of payment to the manufacturer.

Bank transfer - This seems to be the accepted form of payment by the manufacturer, but probably also provides the least amount of protection for the buyer. Personally, I would never purchase a machine this way. It is leaving yourself too open to potential for issue later on down the road, in my opinion anyways.

Credit card - I have not looked specifically into how credit cards offer protection for overseas purchases, but if they're able to offer the same type of fraud protection as purchases here in the US, then this would probably be a better option than simply doing a bank transfer.

Paypal - I use paypal quite often as a seller and buyer, so I usually feel fairly confident in using paypal especially as a buyer. Similar to credit card, I am not sure how paypal's fraud or buyer protection is for overseas purchases. Usually paypal is pretty good with protecting the buyer and sides with the buyer over the seller the majority of the time. Possibly the main limitation with paypal may be the fact that you need to report any issues within I think 45 or 90 days of payment, although I have read/heard that people have opened disputes still past those time frames.

Alibaba - Maybe this is the safest way out of the other methods listed to purchase a machine, since you are essentially going through Alibaba and also your credit card/paypal as form of payment, so you potentially have two forms of protection. I have not done large purchases through Alibaba or dealt with them much, so I do not know how they handle buyer's protection, but I would assume they'd have to offer some level of protection or security to the buyer.

Hopefully those with experience in purchasing a machine from China can chime in and add useful information that can help others who are purchasing a machine for the first time or maybe for their next machine.