PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
08-01-2016, 8:33 AM
1 August 2016
Good morning everyone,
I hope this finds each of you doing well. No shop time for me this time but I have been spending a good bit of time helping my son-in-law get things done on his place to make it ready for sell. Home renovations are not easy but I forgot how much I love that type of work. A welcomed break from IT work. Layoffs have made us a smaller team and oncall duty comes ever so quickly now.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Wayne Lomman
08-01-2016, 9:28 AM
Dennis, you have been doing the same as me - helping the kids fix their house to sell. The difference for me is that it is the same as my main work at the moment and i don't feel like I have had a day off for months. However, I have finished the kitchen cabinet doors which was my last task. They were simple shaker doors made from whatever timber was lying around in the workshop with MDF panels. They were then painted. The kitchen transformation was outstanding. I meant to take a before photo and forgot. I will post a finished photo when I get back home to Tasmania in 2 1/2 weeks. Here in Adelaide the project is starting to look like it will end. I fitted the last skirtings in the butler's quarters yesterday. Cheers.

Jim Becker
08-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Another hot and sticky (and torrential rain-infested) weekend...so the shop did see my presence aside from lawn mowing, mattress shopping for our older daughter (21st birthday present) and food shopping after that. I finished (literally) my basement door project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?245598-Project-Interior-Door&p=2589129#post2589129), took care of a few things that Professor Dr. SWMBO needed for her beekeeping and assembled some new metal shelving for the garage for more organized storage. (more to go there)

My quickie project was this lovely "bunny gate" to keep Rufus from getting on the windowsill and jumping back down...the very reason he's a 15 pound, three legged bunny. ;) Some scrap 1/2" plywood and paint did the job. (It's pink because that's the color that Tia's room is moving to when I get around to the painting job)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Rufus/IMG_8043_zpshd0qpptz.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Rufus/9b0067c8-eabf-4dd9-ac3b-14255943e422_zpsvr4t3fhl.jpg

Mike Ontko
08-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Our overloaded peach tree barely survived intact this year. Like the cherry tree last month, it was as full of fruit as I've ever seen--branches bending nearly to the ground. LOML and I picked at least 40#. I'm too busy with my bed build to do any preserving this year, so we gave away most of it to friends, made a great peach salsa, and then paired that with grilled pork chops and peach margaritas.

My bunk bed project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=872) is getting closer to the end. I finished the joinery for the rails and attached the 1" ledges that the slats will sit on. This week will be the front and back guard rail/fence for the top bunk, the ladder, and the slats. With any luck, I'll be able to start finishing next week.

341769 341768 341767 341770

Ed Edwards
08-01-2016, 4:57 PM
Mike,
what is "I picked at least 40#" 40 hash tag? 'glad i'm older and still remember it means pounds... I don't know about the youngsters

or, as Bill would say "the urchins"

Ed

Earl McLain
08-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Mixed bag here--started with my first uh..."invasive" test on Friday, 10 years later than it should have been--but (no pun intended) clean (no pun) results!! Then on Saturday, we drove about 200 miles to Fremont, OH to visit the Rutherford B Hayes Presidential Center (Toledo Mud Hens were sold out Saturday night--my wife was bummed!!), and had a great early dinner at JimmyG's BBQ. Jim's an old friend of ours (he and his wife performed our wedding), does a great job on the "low & slow". Got to hear him preach on Sunday morning before driving up to Toledo to meet up with fellow Creeker Andy Kertesz. Brief exchange of pleasantries, cash and goods--and we headed back home. Took US 20 instead of the Turnpike most of the way, and found a great little Mexican restaurant off the main street in LaGrange, IN for a verrrrry late lunch--a little run down, but it was open (the other choice was a gas station hot dog), and it was the real deal (not sure the hot dog would have been!!).

Had a fun time spending a few days in the car with SWMBO, listening to Classic Vinyl with anodized aluminum clanking out a different rhythm!! Not really woodworking, but a great time was had by all.

Rod Sheridan
08-02-2016, 8:19 AM
Hi, I guess installing an above the range microwave oven does count as woodworking as I had to drill three holes in the cabinet :-)

It sure cleared up a stack of counter space, I should have done these years ago.............Rod.

Mike Ontko
08-02-2016, 4:37 PM
Mike,
what is "I picked at least 40#" 40 hash tag? 'glad i'm older and still remember it means pounds... I don't know about the youngsters

or, as Bill would say "the urchins"

Ed

Ed, you are correct -- I'm in that old enough (boomer) category that implies "pounds" when I type "#". I'm not a Twitter tweeter, so the other meaning doesn't mean anything to me.

Bruce Wrenn
08-02-2016, 9:01 PM
Weekend started on Friday. Ran some errands, then came home and ran 220 rect. in shop (next door) for air compressor to run tire machine. Saturday morning made biscuits for the whole crowd. Daughter, her kids and FIL live close by. I make the biscuits, and wife delivers them. Burnt up some brain cells trying to figure how to mount battery on generator, plus add handles for mobility. Friday afternoon, took tire off trailer that had leak at the rim, used tire machine to take tire off rim. Wire brushed and painted rim. Installed a disposal for grandson. Saturday afternoon, remounted tire, and installed on trailer. It's so nice not to have to put air in tire everyday. Washed work truck. Went to church on Sunday morning with wife. Had dinner with FIL on Sunday evening. Discovered his gas tank has a tiny leak in it. Wife just filled it last week, so tomorrow, I get to siphon 20 gallons of gas out of it prior to removing tank for repairs. Basically did NOTHING, but rest on Sunday afternoon prior to going to dinner.