PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts

Dave Lehnert
07-31-2016, 9:27 PM
I'm new to the world of Podcasts.
What do you enjoy listening to on your MP3 player?

Prashun Patel
07-31-2016, 10:18 PM
Revisionist history
Americas test kitchen
Reply All
And the two greatest of all time: This American Life and Radio Lab.

Ken Platt
07-31-2016, 10:27 PM
I download a lot of NPR programs. This AMerican Life, Freakonomics, Planet Money, Radiolab. I also download lectures from a number of places, lately mostly Yale. They have entire courses online. http://oyc.yale.edu/. There are some there that are just fascinating - the one on the civil war and the one on astrophysics controversies are wonderful. I also find a lot of lectures on youtube, and download the audio via an app called Peggo.

I've tried the Fine woodworking shoptalk Live, but find it's a bit too chatty and slow for my taste.

I'm looking forward to other's responses - I love finding new podcasts.

Ken

Dave Lehnert
07-31-2016, 10:37 PM
Some great info so far. THANKS!

I do have one question.
I noticed a lot of Podcasts are on Itunes. Itunes is also new to me. (I use Amazon for music) is there a cost involved with Itunes?

Matt Day
07-31-2016, 10:57 PM
My favorites right now:
This American Life
Snap Judgement
Embedded
Serial
Outside
Planet Money

Podcasts are awesome. You'll find it's easy and pleasant to listen and you'll wonder why you didn't start earlier. Why listen to the radio or music on your commute? Podcast. Shop time when machines aren't running, podcast. Cooking, cleaning, podcast. Working out, podcast.

Matt Day
07-31-2016, 11:02 PM
Are you listening with a smartphone? If so Apple has a podcast app as does Android.

There shouldn't be a cost with iTunes, it's not like buying music. Most of the podcasts I listen to are either NPR or CPB (Center for Public Broadcating), which are funded through listener support (voluntary) and sponsors (usually the beginning of each episode has a blurb from a sponsor which you can FF).

Dave Lehnert
07-31-2016, 11:10 PM
Are you listening with a smartphone? If so Apple has a podcast app as does Android.

There shouldn't be a cost with iTunes, it's not like buying music. Most of the podcasts I listen to are either NPR or CPB (Center for Public Broadcating), which are funded through listener support (voluntary) and sponsors (usually the beginning of each episode has a blurb from a sponsor which you can FF).

I use a basic SanDisk MP3 player
Download to my computer then transfer to the MP3 player.

Erik Loza
08-01-2016, 9:01 AM
I don't listen to them frequently but Serial was fascinating.

Erik

Aaron Conway
08-03-2016, 9:40 AM
My regulars are: MakerCast, Making It and Shop Talk Live. Others not so frequent are Wood Talk, Modern Woodworkers Assoc and The Woodworking Podcast.

Mark Patoka
08-03-2016, 5:03 PM
I just discovered Podcasts a couple months ago myself. So far I regularly listen to: Freakanomics and Dave Ramsey and a few church related ones. I also just started posting our church's weekly sermons as a Podcast, which prior were only available as MP3s on our website. Opens up a whole new audience.

iTunes does not charge for podcasts. It is only a directory listing of podcasts, which just about any podcaster wants to get listed on. It does not store them or anything like that.

Todd Mason-Darnell
08-03-2016, 6:57 PM
I am a bit of a non-partisan political junky, so I listen to:

Off Message
So to Speak
What's the Point
Penn's Sunday School

Gary Muto
08-04-2016, 7:41 PM
I listen to mostly NPR podcasts; Fresh Air, This American Life, Car Talk but my favorite is The TED radio hour. I'm surprised no one else mentioned it.

Jon Nuckles
08-05-2016, 2:09 PM
In addition to a couple of the ones already mentioned, I like "The Writer's Almanac" podcast. Read by Garrison Keillor, it has historical notes linked to the date, often but not always about writers, then ends with a short poem. Total running time per episode is just over 5 minutes, and new ones are posted each day. I sometimes listen to it when I have trouble falling asleep, which may not be a great endorsement!

Caspar Hauser
08-06-2016, 3:27 PM
In our time with Melvyn Bragg

No such thing as a fish

The Infinite Monkey Cage

Case Closed!

The Woodwright's Shop

Desert Island Discs

Dave Lehnert
08-06-2016, 10:20 PM
In our time with Melvyn Bragg

No such thing as a fish

The Infinite Monkey Cage

Case Closed!

The Woodwright's Shop

Desert Island Discs

The Woodwrights Shop has a POD Cast?
Have to look that one up.

Caspar Hauser
08-06-2016, 10:48 PM
The Woodwrights Shop has a POD Cast?
Have to look that one up.

The episodes are downloadable from the podcast section of itunes.

Dave huber
08-07-2016, 7:00 PM
In addition to radio lab, which is the best out there,
consider Checking out

hardcore history, Dan carlin
the Thomas Jefferson hour
the dinner party podcast
le show, with harry shearher
backstory history podcast
hidden brain
on the media

all available free at iTunes or on a better app, overcast, which is also free.

have fun