PDA

View Full Version : Dell XPS 8900 computer: 2 different prices???

Clarence Martin
07-31-2016, 8:58 PM
Anyone know why they have 2 different prices on their website for the same computer with the same specs ? $579 for the work one and $649 or so for the home one . I checked the specs on the computer , and they appear to both be the same.:confused:

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-31-2016, 9:20 PM
They appear to be identical, but Dell gives business customers a better price. Both say they start at $799, but one shows $150 in savings, and the other $220.

I use an older XPS at work. They're decent PC's for the price, but I highly recommend adding an SSD. It'll seem 10x faster.

Howard Garner
07-31-2016, 9:23 PM
Seeing has how there are over 20 XPS 8900 computers listed on their site, it is difficult to tell.
Do you have additional stock number info?
Howard Garner

Curt Harms
08-01-2016, 8:30 AM
I think if it were me I'd do a fresh install on my current machine before dropping several hundred $ on a new machine. If there were a hardware issue that's another story but many machines are slow or flaky due to too much crapware or bad configuration. IMO most machines produced since about 2010 are adequate from a hardware standpoint for home/casual use. I'm sure HP, Dell, Lenovo et.al. would disagree with my opinion.:) Hmmm, I wonder if that's why desktop machines are not selling .......................

Art Mann
08-01-2016, 11:30 AM
The difference may be in the type of graphics card that is included. Home computers are used to play games, which make heavy demands on the graphics system. Work computers usually don't include a dedicated high performance graphics card but rely on the graphics on the motherboard instead. In general, home computers require greater performance due the the heavier demands on the system. It takes very little power to do word processing, presentation preparation or simple spreadsheets.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2016, 11:39 AM
When you start adding things like dedicated graphics cards, etc, the system may require a heavier duty power supply too.