PDA

View Full Version : Rust

Jeff Bishop
06-14-2003, 6:23 PM
Hi Guys,
I need some ideas on the easiest way to get rid of rust on some 1.5" steel tubing that I am using to make the frames for some mobile bases for my shop. The one I am working on right now is for my new (to me anyway) Rockwell/Delta Lathe(stealth gloat)!!
Thanks,

Kevin Gerstenecker
06-14-2003, 6:40 PM
Jeff, there are several things you can do. The nastiest way would be to sand it down, always one of my favorite chores. ;)
The easiest thing is probably to knock off the loose rust with a wire brush, and then use a paint like product that will neutralize the rust and then follow up with the finish coat. This rust neutralizer works great. It will turn the surface black, and you can then paint right over it. Rustoleum Primer then paint also works well over rust, providing you remove the loose stuff first. You can also sandblast it if you have access to a sandblast setup. For a base such as this, I would go for the neutralizer then paint, or the Rustoleum products, they really work well if used according to the directions. Good Luck!

Ken Wright
06-16-2003, 1:42 PM
for me has been "A Must for Rust" which you should be able to find at Home Depot.

It will remove the rust and the particularly hard stuff with a little extra help from 4/0 steel wool. If you're going to paint ... wipe it down good with mineral spirits before hand.

I've treated all my milled surfaces with the stuff.... cabinet saw table top, joiner, etc. Even in this climate where today the humidity is 93* with a heat index of 106* at lunch time ... I have little signs of rust even if someone leaves a Coke can on a surface top.

Stan Thigpen
06-17-2003, 8:54 AM
Jeff, is this round tubing? If so, what about chucking them in your lathe between a couple of turned wooden cones. That way you could easily polish them up with emory cloth, steel wool, etc.