PDA

View Full Version : RDWORKSv8 Text Tool

daniel hernandez
07-31-2016, 2:52 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm engraving a Acrylic Plaque that will need a paragraph of text engraved on it.

In the past, when completing awards that just needed a few words engraved, I always got by using the RDWORKS text tool; but in this case, it doesn't do what I need it to do.

I am trying to "Justify" the whole paragraph so that it is in a nice even square area, but can't find that option in RDWORKS.

Can someone tell me how they would go about getting the text formatted, and exactly how they want it to look, before importing it to RDWORKS?

I have MSWORD and COREL Draw softwares that I can use, just not sure how to save the files so that they can be used in RDWORKS.

Thanks,
Dan

Keith Winter
07-31-2016, 3:18 PM
make your text in illustrator, convert to outlines, save illustrator 8, then import into rdworks. Alternatively if you are using corel I think you can save as an old eps file version and import that way.

Bill Carruthers
07-31-2016, 11:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm engraving a Acrylic Plaque that will need a paragraph of text engraved on it.

In the past, when completing awards that just needed a few words engraved, I always got by using the RDWORKS text tool; but in this case, it doesn't do what I need it to do.

I am trying to "Justify" the whole paragraph so that it is in a nice even square area, but can't find that option in RDWORKS.

Can someone tell me how they would go about getting the text formatted, and exactly how they want it to look, before importing it to RDWORKS?

I have MSWORD and COREL Draw softwares that I can use, just not sure how to save the files so that they can be used in RDWORKS.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan - you can use the RD works text tool to do that - Just type your message inserting line breaks where you want them then Ungroup the text in RD works and select each line and center it to the same X axis point.
Alternatively - do it as you like in Coreldraw and export it as an .ai or .dxf file to a folder then import it into Rdworks.
Either way works fine for me.

Kev Williams
08-01-2016, 5:41 PM
I might be wrong but

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/sqr.jpg

;)

daniel hernandez
08-02-2016, 12:23 AM
Thanks Keith, Bill, and Kev, for your responses.

Kev, you hit the nail on the head...that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

I ended up using RDWORKS, and thought I figured it out...It wasn't until after I attached the Acrylic to plaque that I noticed the difference. If you look at the very bottom line of the paragraph, it is slightly bigger than the above lines.

daniel hernandez
08-02-2016, 12:36 AM
Yes, this is it exactly.
:)

Kev Williams
08-02-2016, 3:31 PM
That bottom line is okay, not that big a deal. The period at the end taking up space looks more "off" to me than the lettering...

There's 2 adjustments you can make in Corel that would help keep the lettering looking more the same: adjust the space between the letters, and adjust the space between the words. The line "text alignment?" I did above, I increased the letter-spacing. I could've put a much larger word space in, which would've crowded the letters a bit closer together.

Sometimes is tough to get good 'stereo printing' just because of the words involved.

Yours looks just fine to me! :)

daniel hernandez
08-03-2016, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the info. Kev,

Since you pointed out another flaw (the period that I hadn't even noticed...thanks!...lol); I went ahead and redid the acrylic.

I just selected the text, and eyeballed' it...it looked better...and the period wasn't hanging out there either.

This might be more of a preference type of question, but do think I even needed to Justify that paragraph the way I did?

Just writing the paragraph, with the ends of the sentences not matching at the ends, would have been a lot easier....thoughts?

....guess I could just google some pics to see the difference.

Thanks again,
Dan

Klaus Madsen
08-04-2016, 2:09 AM
Thanks Keith, Bill, and Kev, for your responses.

Kev, you hit the nail on the head...that is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

I ended up using RDWORKS, and thought I figured it out...It wasn't until after I attached the Acrylic to plaque that I noticed the difference. If you look at the very bottom line of the paragraph, it is slightly bigger than the above lines.

Nice engraving. Is that engraved from the front or the Back?