PDA

View Full Version : Toothed Chisel

Eric Schmid
07-31-2016, 1:22 PM
With the ongoing discussions about sharpening here I had a good laugh when I had to cut a shallow latch mortise with this beauty.

A couple of weeks ago I was installing a cross brace on a poorly constructed gate to bring the latch stile back to plumb/square. I installed the adjustable rod and brought the gate back into alignment with the deadbolt. The locking latch has an external activation rod which no longer cleared the latch post, so I unexpectedly found myself needing to mortise the latch post. I did not have hardly any tools with me and certainly no chisels. Some guys were working on the house next door so I swung by to see if one of them would loan me a chisel. This is what I was given. At forty five minutes round trip to the shop I elected to proceed with what was available.

I don't know that I've ever seen a wood chisel in this poor of condition. Surprisingly the toothed "design" made for pretty quick work in soft wood:). It was a little difficult to line up the crooked tang on the line, but we got her done. I didn't bother to ask how it got in this condition and the only comment by the lender was "it's not the sharpest chisel", which was likely in response to the look on my face.

george wilson
07-31-2016, 1:35 PM
Looks like he didn't have the sharpest mind either!!:)

Bill Houghton
07-31-2016, 3:05 PM
Maybe that's one of the tools he keeps to loan out, after having people (not you) ruin his good tools.

Jim Koepke
07-31-2016, 3:28 PM
It seems some do not understand the concept of sharp. For them, when the chisel isn't cutting it is time for a bigger hammer. This chisel looks like the bigger hammer may have been a 6 pound sledge.

A former co-worker would always comment that he couldn't sharpen to save his life. After seeing how resistant he was to learning, I agreed that he would likely never learn to sharpen an edge.

OMG! Did this just start another sharpening thread? :eek:

jtk

Rick Whitehead
07-31-2016, 3:58 PM
I experienced a similar situation once. I was installing a cabinet I had made for a friend of mine. I didn't bring my full tool kit with me, just what I thought I would need. Sure enough, I needed a chisel. He told me he had one, and loaned me a 3/4" Stanley Handyman chisel. I used it, and he told me I could borrow it for a while if I needed it. So I took it home and sharpened it. I gave it back to him a few days later, and told him that I had sharpened it."You sharpened it?" he said. "I didn't know you could do that". He had thought that you just discarded them after they got dull, like a utility knife blade.
Rick

steven c newman
07-31-2016, 3:59 PM
More like a beater chisel of your dreams thread.....:rolleyes:

Patrick Chase
07-31-2016, 8:12 PM
OMG! Did this just start another sharpening thread? :eek:

We're all drawn like moths to a flame.

Even George can't pass up a sharpening thread, if only to say something along the lines of "No more silly threads full of pointless opinions about sharpening implements that distract from real woodworking. By the way, Spyderco rulez!"

Dave Anderson NH
08-01-2016, 11:47 AM
What he loaned you was a combination tool. Quite rare actually. Combination of chisel, paint can opener, and general purpose lever. :D

Jim Koepke
08-01-2016, 1:01 PM
What he loaned you was a combination tool. Quite rare actually. Combination of chisel, paint can opener, and general purpose lever. :D

You left out chip breaker screw driver.

jtk

Bill Houghton
08-01-2016, 4:41 PM
He had thought that you just discarded them after they got dull, like a utility knife blade.
Rick

Like some of the people in this town that wear a shirt once and take it to the Thrift Store.

Ray Selinger
08-02-2016, 3:38 PM
I picked up a Swedish Anchor brand #6 plane at the fleamarket. When I got home I was disappointed to find an English Stanley blade in it. I was hoping for a good Swedish steel blade, E.A. Berg level of quality. From the attempt at sharpening, it looked like when it dulled, he simply bought a new blade.

Rob Luter
08-02-2016, 4:13 PM

Back in Junior High School shop class we had a whole series of movies that attempted to prevent this. Here's a couple examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkse0OBDIVQ&list=PLA88638D46D18CBC6&index= 2

No one in class ever wanted to be called Primitive Pete

Rob Luter
08-02-2016, 4:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC4_VUvIgig&list=PLA88638D46D18CBC6&index= 1

Mel Fulks
08-02-2016, 7:02 PM
Rob,thanks for posting the cartoons. Think they must be remakes. The ones I saw years ago were more serious ....not so campy!!!

Rob Luter
08-02-2016, 9:31 PM
Rob,thanks for posting the cartoons. Think they must be remakes. The ones I saw years ago were more serious ....not so campy!!!

We saw some of those too. Serious stuff. Not as serious as driver's ed though :eek:

Andrew Pitonyak
08-03-2016, 3:19 PM
I had a loaner chisel come back about that dull before, complete with the serrations. A "nicer" chisel would probably not have been that bad when it came back, but I expected it based on what I was told would be done with it.

Fired up the Tormek and had it nice and sharp very fast.