PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Safety

Frank Yacone
07-31-2016, 9:09 AM
Folks,

I am wanting to grind the shoulders down on some of my chisels to make them better for dovetailing. I have bought a slow speed grinder and want to make sure I do this safely. Normally the bevel is ground with the tool rest angled up. However, I'm thinking for the shoulders, it would be easiest to lay the chisel on its back perpendicular to the wheel with the tool rest angled down. That way, I can set a specific angle (1:4 ratio) for the shoulders.

Is this unsafe? Is there a better way?

Thanks!
Frank

Metod Alif
07-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Frank,
This is not what you are asking about (low speed grinder), but I modified some of my chisels on a (upside down) portable belt grinder, 80 grit blue zirconia belt. I did it freehand with good enough results. You need to pay attention as not to overheat the steel. I spritzed the belt with water to have it run cooler. Derek Cohen has a more careful/organized way - but I was inspired by it.

Best wishes,
Metod

Tony Leonard
08-01-2016, 4:40 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, won't that create a pinching situation where the wheel will grab the chisel and wedge it between the wheel and the rest? I dunno, but at a glance, it sounds risky to me. I ground an old chisel for dovetailing as you describe, but I did it with the rest in the normal position. Not hard at all. I admit that I wasn't concerned about a particular angle, but it turned out very well.

Tony