PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Hunter's Jimmy Clew Mate tool?

Michael Schneider
07-31-2016, 6:53 AM
With the recent posts for carbide tools, I visited the hunter tool site and noticed the Jimmy Clewes mate tool. It may have been out for awhile, but I not not seen it before.

Couple of quick questions for the braintrust.
- What you you like and dislike about the tools?
- What do you use the #1 tool for?
- What do you use the #2 tool for?

Looks like an interesting concept.

Thanks,
Michael

Bill Blasic
08-01-2016, 6:23 AM
I did a review of the Mate tools for More Woodturning Magazine. They are great tools with a very short learning curve. Made by Mike Hunter for Jimmy Clewes. They are self limiting tools that cut superbly as all hunter tools cut. Have no dislikes, another tool for the arsenal.

Doug Ladendorf
08-01-2016, 8:34 AM
Are there advantages of the Mate tools vs. Hunter's other, similar tools?

John K Jordan
08-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Are there advantages of the Mate tools vs. Hunter's other, similar tools?

Doug,

I called Mike Hunter today and ordered the #1 Hunter/Clewes to try. I have the other Hunter tools so I can do a direct comparison, hopefully by the end of the week.

If you call Mike he will give you the low-down: 612-718-7926. Just don't call at 11 Eastern time today, he said he was going to be busy.

I REALLY like the Osprey and Hercules tools and have been using them on a variety of things. I've been turning colored acrylic stock lately and the Osprey gave me nearly a polished surface in the cutting mode for straight and deep coves.

JKJ

Greg McClurg
08-01-2016, 8:28 PM
I have several of the Mike Jackofsky tools which I like. I tried the Mate#1 at a class I took from Jimmy and I liked it better than the Jackofsky tools because it won't self feed. I haven't used any other carbide tools so can't compare to them.

John K Jordan
08-03-2016, 12:10 PM
With the recent posts for carbide tools, I visited the hunter tool site and noticed the Jimmy Clewes mate tool. It may have been out for awhile, but I not not seen it before.

Couple of quick questions for the braintrust.
- What you you like and dislike about the tools?
- What do you use the #1 tool for?
- What do you use the #2 tool for?

Looks like an interesting concept.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael,

I got a Hunter Clewes #1 Mate tool in the mail this morning. (Mike is fast)

What the picture on Mike Hunters web site doesn't show is the profile when viewed from the top. The cutter is set to the left a hair past the flat left side of the tool which appears to be intended to limit the depth of the cut on the left side. It looks like the angled right front of the tool is similarly aligned to limit the depth of cut from that position. The literature indicates this is designed to "greatly" reduce the chance of huge catches. I have not yet put this tool to the wood but it looks like it might work ok. There is a video linked to from Mikes web site that shows a beginner using this tool on the inside of a bowl.

My photos show (from the top) the large Hercules, the small Hercules, an Osprey, and the Clewes. I measured the angles of the top of the cutter relative to the bottom of the shafts as 30 deg, 30 deg, 38 deg, and 20 deg.

341871 341872

As for the difference between the Osprey and the Clewes Mate, the Osprey is built on a 3/8" or 1/2" round shank. The small Clewse is made with a thick rectangular bar (I didn't measure it yet.) It feels massively sturdy compared with the Osprey and smaller Hercules.

Mike said the advantage of the flat bar was to keep the tool at the right angle when put flat on the rest. Beginners or those new to the Hunter tools may especially like that since some people have reported difficulty in controlling the earlier tools. I've been using Mike's tools for a long time and never experienced this problem so the tools with round shanks don't bother me in the least. I tilt the tool as necessary to get the cut I want with the wood I'm turning at the moment. One of my favorite tools is the small Hercules made on a square bar with a similar flat bottom but I roll it anyway as needed, especially when cutting coves. I used it recently to cut coves in acrylic that were so smooth they almost looked polished.

I do like these tools with the angled cutters better than the straight cutters. Either will work but the angled tools are easier to use, especially on the inside of a bowl or box.

Note that the Hunter tools can be used either in the scraping or cutting (bevel rubbing) mode. The Clewes states it is made for cutting, not scraping. It looks like you can scrape with it too, but if it's like the Osprey and Hercules and some others, you should get amazingly clean fiber-slicing cuts unlike the cheap, flat-topped carbide tools that are scrapers only, or at best, shear scrapers.

I'll try to test the Clewes later this week or weekend and compare some cuts to the other tools.

JKJ

Michael Schneider
08-03-2016, 6:36 PM
John,

Thank you very much for performing these tests. I am very grateful for your kindness and generosity with your expertise. Looks like Mike Hunter will get a bit more of my turning $$$. Darned vortex.......

Michael.

Michael Schneider
08-04-2016, 5:54 AM
Bill,

Thank you, I subscribed to More Woodturning Magazine to be able to read your review.

Michael